Empire at the colonial GT - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Empire at the colonial GT

This year I was trying improve upon my terrible showing at last year's Colonial. I did not get a good start, staying up to 4 am painting my army (I even got an award for it). The stuff I had taken my time looked good imo but the rest looked terrible and I felt bad for fielding it. However I felt my list was fun and competitive so I was in for a good time. After some smack talk on the boards I was challenged to a round 1 game, maybe he was trying to get out of the hard pile . I accepted honorably and showed up to my first round game tired but enthusiastic, sporting my Cult of Ulric army (non SoC) I apologize, if there are any mistakes in the report:

Arch Lector
    Sword of Justice
    Armour of Meteoric Iron
    Van Horstman's Speculum
    War Altar

Warrior Priest
    Heavy Armour+ Shield
    Sword of Might
    Barded Pony

Warrior Priest
    Heavy Armour+ Shield
    Sword of Battle
    Barded Pony

BSB
    Full Plate Armour
    Biting Blade
    Sigil of Sigmar
    Icon of Magnus
    Barded Pony

X2 23 Swordsmen
    Musician
    Standard
    5 Archers
    8 Free Company

10 Handgunners
    5 Handgunners
    5 Crossbowmen

5 Knights
    Musician
    Preceptor

5 Inner Circle Knights
    Full Command
    Warbanner

X2 5 Pistoliers
    Musician

Cannon

X3 10 Flaggellants

Game 1 vs. Travis Weyforth's of CCG (Gindaini) Slaanesh DL:

Keeper of Secrets

Exalted Daemon
    Lvl 2
    MoS
    Scroll
    Soul Hunger

10 Daemonnettes
    Musician
    Champion

10 Daemonnettes
    Full Command

X2 5 Mounted Nettes

X2 3 Pleasure Seekers

X2 Chariot

The mission had us deploy our objectives in our units of atleast US 5, captured objectives and units that reached your opponent's deployment zone were worth victory points. However the unit could move no more than 8 inches. He put them in his daemonnettes and 1 unit of mtd nettes. I put them in my altar, priest's swords units, and IC knights.
    I didn't have any hills in my deployment zone So I just had my gunners and their detachment formed the middle of my army flanked by two small woods on either flank, the one on the right flank housed my cannon. Thankfully the woods were small enough for me to use them to my advantage and they wouldn't limit my movement. I had one unit of flaggies behind the gunners just to catch his units so I could countercharge. The right flank was securely held down by the swords, battle priest, lector, and the other flaggies one of which would tail the altar and pick up the objective when he charged and dropped it. While on the left my Knights, might priest, and bsb deployed to sweep the flank and pistoliers to bait redirect and harass his units. He deployed very balanced with one unit of mtd nettes, a chariot, and seekers on each flank. The exalted and Kipper took hiding places with the kipper on the right. The nettes were more or less near the center. I had deployed the altar across from the kipper to make sure if he wanted to avoid the lector he would have to come across my guns . I won the roll for turn 1 and gave it to him.
    He began the game moving very cautiously, careful to avoid firelines hiding his big targets (Kipper, Exalted, chariots) and moved forward fairly conservativley. For magic he got off an irresistible frenzy spell on the swordsmen and an irresistible move here spell for the pistoliers. In my turn I moved the pistoliers to where they belonged but moved reformed them to 1 wide to provide more beneficial failed charges and not fleeing off the board (I promise to take picture next time ) Also is this legal I assumed it was because i reached the desired point? The other unit Moved to harass the daemonettes. My knights moved to counter charge anyone charging the pistoliers and my IC knights had the wood defend their flank while at the same time have a channce to charge any characters that felt like venturing too close. Magic was dispelled apart from my vanilla knights becoming unbreakable. Shooting had a shot lined up to hit daemonettes and hopefully a chariot. It didn't reach the chariot but it killed a nette and pistoliers killed 2 more from the same unit. The 1 pistolier kills a mtd nette and the gunners and xbows kill daemonnettes from the other unit.
    He charges both pistoliers with nettes and mtd nettes, both flee and escape without causing panic. He moves the chariot and and seekers to countercharge if I decided to charge. He moves his exalted behind the knights, using trees as cover. the keeper ventured to the middle of the field but of loS of the cannon, the right chariot moves to support him. staying out of LoS. The Mtd nettes move to threaten the right flank and seekers supporting them. Magic doesn't do anything this round thanks to the Keeper miscasting and ending the phase. On my turn I decided to go for the overkill and charge both knight units in. Being able to split the frontage my overrun with the IC knights allowed me to clip the seekers (without BSB thankfully) and the wheel took me out of both the chariot and exalted's charge arc and the vanilla's unit was able to overrun off the board. My pistoliers rally but swords fail terror and run across my guns towards the extreme right flank but thanks to the altar don't panic anyone. I shove my priest's swords and flaggies in his seekers and nettes face with pretty much any charge wielding a counter. and my archers and flaggies blocking off a flank to my swords. My altar moves to counter charge anyone who decides to charge the gunners and the flaggies behind expand to 10 wide to help this purpose. My magic just serves to make the swords unbreakable just in case. My shooting was looking good, the cannon hits the kipper, then I roll a one to wound. This was ok as the Gunners and xbows shot him up for 3 wounds . The pistoliers and archers also do their job causing 2 wounds on the exalted.
    In his turn he had some thinking to do and I had the time to for a nice stroll checking out other armies in action. The Exalted charges pistoliers and I hope to S&S him to death but fail terror and he chases me off the board. Fearing my shooting and realising he needs to get some VPs out of me he moves his units to charge targets next turn. Without the exalted magic was rather ineffective and combat went well for me, I put 2 wounds on the seekers and he lost by 6 but only lost 2 more wounds. On my turn the maneouvering continued and swords rallied, I was in the lead but Travis was a good player and I knew I couldn't make any mistakes. However when making sure his Mtd nettes didn't hit my (unbreakable) swords' flank I forgot to make the closest archer able to redirect them . With the exalted gone he had to make sure I didn't get cleansing flare off so I was able to keep unbreakable on the swords and gave my battle priest a 4+ ward. A poor guess from the cannon and 2 2s for artillery rolls and my cannon fell short of the kipper. The gunners and pistoliers made up for it by hanging 2 more wounds on him. The seekers lost 3 more wounds from combat res and suddenly there was only one.
    In his turn he charges the flank of my knights with the chariot, pistoliers with kipper, other chariot into handgunners and the swords with mtd nettes in the flank and seekers in the front, atleast they were frenzied and the spell wasn't doing much damage. The pistoliers fled and thanks to the angle I went into the woods and he failed a charge and had to brave another round of shooting. The gunners and detachments stood and shot but I missed all 15 shots. The exalted moved back on to charge the knights in the rear. Magic ended in another miscast. Combat had my gunners run down and the chariot running into the awaiting flaggies. The chariot kills my unit champ as I had planned, and I do a couple of wounds to each from combat res. leaving the seeker with 1. The seekers on the swords yields 10 hits and 8 wounds, uh-oh, dice averaged out when I made 5 saves . Thanks to the 4+ ward save the mtd nettes did no wounds to the priest, in return he and the swords kill 4 mtd nettes and wound a seeker, the mtd nette bravel passes its ld and the wounded seeker is no more. In my turn the War altar charges his chariot the flaggies turn to charge the seekers in the flank in combat with the swords. The other flaggies begin their trek to retrieve his objective. The knights move to flank the chariot or rear the exalted when he charges. My magic does nothing but in the shooting phase i finish off the Kipper.

At that point the game was pretty much over. Despite the last seeker in combat with my knights killing two when I rolled snakeyes for saves and getting reared by the exalted, I killed of the seeker and the chariot and exalted popped. The other seekers and mtd nette were wittled away by swords. The war altar easily dealt with his chariot. I then focused my attention on the nettes causing them to drop their objectives. The game ended and despite it being well played by him and I made a mistake I felt my aggressive play helped me win the game. In the end I picked up all 5 bonus points

Empire left:
    War Altar
    BSB
    Might Priest
    1.5 swords
    some random detachments
    1 unit of pistoliers
    .5 IC knights
    Vanilla Knights
    Cannon
    X2 flagellants

Demons left:
    7 daemonnettes

20-5 for the Empire, more to come.

2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Game 2 vs. Mike Wrighter of the Battle Buddies and his Goblins

Orc Warboss on Piggy
    Best Basha
    Enchanted shield
    Best Boss at
    Iron Gnashas

Goblin BSB on spider
    Raggedy Banner

Orc Shaman on boar
    Lvl 2
    Scroll
    Itty ring

Night Goblin Shaman
    Lvl 2
    Scroll

3 Squig Herds

10 Squig Hoppers

Giant

5 spider rders
    Mus.

X2 20 Night Gobbos
    Bows
    Mus.
    Fanatic

X4 30 Night Goblins
    FC
    Nets
    3 had fanatics

2 Snotlings

3 Spear Chukkas

Doom Diver

Silas7 did a good job of explaining the mission. We rolled 22 in. He picked my Pistoliers and IC knights. I picked his Giant and squig hoppers
    For deployment my gunners and detach held a hill in the middle of my zone. I had both my swords on the right flank, the flaggies in the middle, and cav, altar, bsb, and cannon on the left flank. I knew my flaggies could hold up any of his units so I would just encircle his army and finish it off. His big blocks held his center with the warmachines behind his lines and support units on the flanks.
    This game was very blurry for me because the turns sort of blended together. I used pistoliers and archers to draw and kill fanatics despite his good rolls with them distance and damage wise, they were not too hurtful. He squabbled a lot (3 turns in a row for the hoppers) and his shooting and magic did nothing. My Vanilla knights and altar quickly took out his squig herd. and flaggies took out both his mages so that my magic could quickly be effective. I took out his first big block by drawing out squigs with my vanilla knights and then tac charging with IC knights to hit the big blocks flank and charged the altar in at the same time in the front. The warboss's unit was then held up by flaggies and once they were dealt with my Altar tried to finish him off but time ran out. My gunners focused fire on one unit and then I was able to hit them with both priests and run them down. The other unit was taken out by a double swordsman charge. The giant caused me some trouble. I spotted it for my cannon twice but that just resulted in 2 misfires. I also hit it with 2 cleansing flares but that didn't do anything either (that was 1 extraordinarily tough giant). He then reared my IC knights but I wasn't afraid. Until he rolled up 4 wounds with his club and I failed them all I lost and was cross fired. The game seemed to be shifting then but on my turn I finished off a couple of blocks and some support units. Unfortunately the lucky Giant alone denied me 3 battle points. Mike was an awesome opponent (I voted him my favorite opponent) but I knew his army well and was able to play the game with minimal mistakes apart from poor use of pistoliers.

Empire left:
    War Altar
    Both Priests
    Both swords
    all my detachments
    vanilla knights
    .5 pistoliers
    Cannon
    X2 flaggellants

Goblins left
    Warboss
    .5 big block
    X2 little blocks
    X2 spear chukkas

17- 6 For the Empire, I'll probably post the next game tomorrow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

How many games total? 3 or 5?

Good showing so far! Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Where is the Colonial held.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

5 Games. It is in Cherry Hill, NJ. It is the second biggest Indy GT in America behind the Hillbilly. It was tons of fun with a ridiculously high level of skill, painting, and hard armies. Its my favorite GT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice so far, can't wait to read the rest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Game 3 vs. Mike Ludwig's Vampire Counts

Lord
    Lvl 4
    Master of the black arts
    Van carstein ring
    Black periapt
    lord of the dead

Vamp
    L2
    Book of Arkhan

Vamp BSB
    L2
    Drakkenhoff banner

Vamp
    L2
    talisman of lycni

18 skellies (vamp bunker)
    FC
    Warbanner

X2 15 skellies
    Musician
    Standard

X2 corpse Cars
    Balefire

X4 Dire Wolves

X2 Varghulf

The scenario was Magic Vortex Any double 1,2,3 is a miscast, any double 4,5,6 is an IF. A tripple kills u.

Allright this list was dirty and I knew I would have to be on top of my game. Thankfully ther was a lake in the middle of the board near his edge and I used this to my advantage. Also the scenario was awesome for me so I thought I could pull this game out despite his army. However, what I learned from this game is that when it came to rules, I am the most gullible person ever .
    I deployed with Gunners in the middle, with my swords and a priest on the right along with a unit of flaggies the left had 2 units of flaggies and the cavalry and BSB and another priest. The war altar was in the middle. He had 3 units of dogs on my left along with the big vamp unit, both vargies, and a corpse cart. The right had both other skellie units, a wolf unit and a corpse cart.
    He started off Rushing up his left flank and not moving the right with the wolves landing right in front of the pistoliers. He magicked his wolves into my pistoliers irresistably and I stood and shot killing 3. After miscasting and me rolling a one to wound his vamp (which was a very common trend for the entire game) he vanhelsed the other wolf unit in, since I was sloppy with my deployment my pistoliers were not flush so both units went in to me but I wasn't afraid as I win by a mus. on a average. Unfortunately I whiffed and he won by 1 meaning I needed snakeyes and the 2 1s thankfully came up. In my turn I charged the wolves in the flank with a priest by himself. My right flank took off albeit very slowly. Some fancy maneouvering went down on the left flank thanks to the wolves. But I was able to allow my pistoliers to block off a charge to my cannon from the vargie and wolves. The vanilla knights backed up and IC knights turned to threaten the flank of any of his untis that din't move carefully. The flagellants came over to tarpit. I knew what I was going to do now, I would wipe out his right flank and take out his support units on the left. I would destroy everythin but the skeleton block and just redirect and tarpit them ad hopefully some miscasts would help my goal. Thus my War Altar moved to aid the right flank. Magic served no purpose other than making my swords unbreakable. Shooting was good with my cannon destroying a varghulf. pistoliers killing two wolves. And I shot down some skellies from the small unit. Combat went well with me wiping out both units, however the priest overrun very short and blocked my flaggellants who were going to flank his vargie when he chared the altar.
    His turn he charged the altar with vargie and pistoliers with wolves in the flank, atleast I was ranked 1 wide His block moved forward again and his right began to go backwards. Corpse cart moves to threaten the cannon. For magic he raises a large zombie unit (17) and flanks my bsb and IC knights with it. Then the phase eded on a miscast but the (small) damge was done. In combat the vargie does a wound to the altar and I do one back. The wolves don't do any damage and the pistoliers go nuts and kill more then needed. My bsb and horse do 3 wounds on the zombies and they lose 2 more.
    On my turn the vanilla knights charge the zombies. My might priest moves to catch up with the rest of my right flank. The pistoliers move to redirect his big block from my vanilla knights that just chaged. the other unit moves to redirect on my next turn. Seeing his plans for the right flank I rush up and have my units make sure the wolves cannot rush in and march block. Flaggellants keep moving aroud to tarpit the big unit. Magic was fairly good with him letting off the rerolls on my bsb and rolling snakeyes for soulfire on the vamp killing him. Shooting has the cannon misfire but roll a 6. My gunners keep picking away (slowly) at his skellies. and shooting holds nothing. In combat I fully expect to wipe out the skellies, overrun with knights away from the vamp bunker my IC knights to be free to flee, and I would be able to flee my way to victory with my altar being in an awesome position to lend ld. 10 for any rally tests and I would just tarpit and redirect from there. It looked as though my plan worked great. Alas some epic whiffage went down. My BSB misses all his attacks and all his rerolls . The 2 knights champ and horses only kill 3 zombies despite on average I kill 7. After combat res 3 stood, hopefully my magic defense would hold up .
    On his turn he charged my pistoliers who were still excited after their victory and ran an impressive distance of the board leaving him a couple of vanhel's away from my knights. unfortunately all his l2 vamps had it . The corpse cart continued its trek towards the cannon. He continues to back up his skellies and other cart and the dire wolves make no attempt to come at me. In magic he creates big zombie unit in front of the cannon but i still have LoS to the cart. He goes for the book, I dispell and it runs out. He fails first attempt at vanhel's, IFs second to face me, I stop the 3rd with 2 dice. I have 3 dice left for his last attempt and he IFs again and he is in. To add insult to in jury he raises more zombies . Combat does not go very well although he doesnt do a ridiculous number of wounds and my BSB's unit holds with the reroll, he overruns out of rear charge range of my flaggies as my vanilla knights flee the board.
    Im in trouble now. I have to sacrifice the pistoliers so that I can try and stop his unit from getting the IC knights. My right flank continues approaching, wary of the wolves. my handgunners begin to move up as they are out of range. Magic wields no results. My xbowmen for the third time in a row miss all their shots . However the cannon does kill the corpse cart. In combat I cant kill zombies fast enough and there are more still there.
    He charges the pistoliers and i plan to hold, but my fear check disagreed and I was off the table. The zombies move up to the cannon and his skellies and cart back up to board edge, the wolves remain hidden behind the hill. This time his magic is relentless, he gets the necessary van hels dances and IFs wind of undeath wounding most units including a lone priest. The hosts are hungry for my xbows. In combat he destroys all but the standard and the BSB. I ofcourse do no damage to his vamps but I have a chance. to get a away if i roll an average flee and him an average pursue I would hit him with flaggies. However it just wouldn't go my way this game. The knights were really scared and run 15 in just off the board and I stopped caring there.
    In the last couple of turns I pushed the right flank and setup charges getting the cart a skellie block with a double priest charge and I was denied 1/2 points and a banner when he rolled 3 saves for his skellies against my swordsmen leaving just the banner guy. He gazed a lot of stuff, I didn't care to dispell and I failed every panic and rally test for my detachments and gunners. Also he got points for my flaggies because they finnally decided to charge him. and dont even hurt his vamps . I also manage to bait the wolves and kill them with swords. However in the last turn he casts winds of undeathI said I could use MR and he said no and he felt like arguing more than me so I gave in. I came up 1 short to dispell and he ends up getting half points on a priest and kills the other whom i had forgotten to heal when he had 0 dispell dice. In the end we counted up points and he was up 253 points, then he asked me if I had doubled my priest I said no because he doesn't generate cating dice. His girlfiriend asked me if he had a magic item I said yes and I responded because I thought I remembered reading the item has to cast a spell. But she assured me it doesn't and I ared too little too check. So 125 points more for the VC and its a very small win for the VC

6-17 For the VC

Upon rechecking the rules later it does in fact specify that the magic item must cast a spell to which just served to further dishearten my mood. I also learned that MR is also allowed against winds of undeath. I felt like I earned a win with my play because I took out his entire army apart from the vamp bunker and a single standard bearer and I did not wound his charcters once despite several miscasts. My main goal this tourny was to not lose (even if it meant 5 draws) and I feel some validation as technically I did not lose this game and nor will I consider it a loss (except on the score sheet that is). So 3 tough, taxing games of warhammer ended in some subways, a long detour to Philidelphia because my friend Chris had to pick up some beer for his friend and a game of poker where I lead my table the entire time, then was second for most of the time when the tables joined, then lost all my chips to the chipleader and came in 5th place without realizing the top 4 would get paid. I am an idiot. Day 2 comes later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Spewin! can't wait to read the next one!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

On his turn he charged my pistoliers who were still excited after their victory and ran an impressive distance of the board leaving him a couple of vanhel's away from my knights. unfortunately all his l2 vamps had it . The corpse cart continued its trek towards the cannon. He continues to back up his skellies and other cart and the dire wolves make no attempt to come at me. In magic he creates big zombie unit in front of the cannon but i still have LoS to the cart. He goes for the book, I dispell and it runs out. He fails first attempt at vanhel's, IFs second to face me, I stop the 3rd with 2 dice. I have 3 dice left for his last attempt and he IFs again and he is in.
    Not sure if I'm reading this right, but did he cast VHD on one unit twice in the same phase? Danse can't be cast on the same unit multiple times in one turn.... it's a necromancy spell, so one wizard can cast it multiple times per phase, but not on the same unit repeatedly. At least not successfully, anyway.

+ Reply to Thread