2k VC vs Brettonians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k VC vs Brettonians

259- Brettonian Lord, Sword of Might, Barded Horse, Grail Vow, Grail Shield, Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence

231 Paladin w/ standard of the lady, Shield, lance, Grail Vow, Virtue ofduty, warhorse, hand weapon.
    120 Damsel with 2 DS
    110 Damsel with DS, Chalice of Malfleur

265 9 Knights of the realm, FC, Warbanner
    240 9 Knights of the realm, FC
    201 9 Knight Errants, FC, Errantry Standard
    385 9 Questing Knights, FC, Valorous Standard
    75 5 Mounted Yeomen
    372 9 Grail Knights, Full Command

His army
    Vampire Lord
    Vampire
    Vampire
    Varghulf
    20 Gravegaurd
    5 Black Knights
    10 Skeletons
    10 Skeletons
    10 Skeletons
    2 Corpse Carts
    LOTS of special gear.

My Deployment, left to right. Yeomen on far left flank to bait his flankers, Knight Errants, Warbanner Knights (with Paladin...static combat Res of 4 plus ranks, so 6 to start), Lord with Questing Knights, in the center to go after Vamp Generals unit, Knights of the Realm, Grail Knights (strong anchor on the other flank).

He set up (left to right) Black Knights and Varghulf (on a hill), 10 Skellies with vamp, 20 Gravegaurd with Vamp Lord, 10 Skellies with Vamp, 2 Corpse Carts and 10 more skellies behind that.

Bret Turn 1- Everyone move forward 16". No magic, no shooting

VC Turn 1- He marches everyone forward except the varghulf and Knights. Hes about 8 inches from me now. Tries to cast Dance with everyone. Gets a bad roll or two, I dispel the rest, and his Bound spells. NO MAGIC THIS TURN

Bret Turn 2- Declare charges with everyone except the Yeomen. Yeomen shoot AND KILL a black KNight. Knight errants and knights of the realm with Warbanner and pally charge 10 skellies and vamp on the left. He issues a challenge, I accept with the Knight Errant Gallant.Lose, but he doesnt get an overkill. I lose none, and win combat by 7, killing the remaining skellies and the vamp. Knight errants pursue 5". Knights of the realm pursue 9", getting into contact with a corpsecart. Fails one save, I take no wounds. He loses combat by 7, (2 Rank, 2 Warbanner, 1 Wound, 1 BSB, 1 Virtue of Duty) Fails a few saves, it dies. Generals Unit of Questing Knights hits the center of his generals unit, knigts of the realm hit the end of it, and the end of another unit of skellies which are ALSO charged by Grail Knights. My Lord issues a challenge, he accepts with a champion. I get an overkill of 3. I lose 2 Knights to his Vamp. So far I have a res of 9 to his 7. Knightsof the realm do their attacks...brings it up to 13-7...Grail Knights do their attacks....bringing it up to 20-7. I win...badly...grail knights charge through and hit a unti of ten skellies, kill 6, win combat by 9 (6 kill, 2 rank, 1 outnumber). Generals unit charges through and gets a corpse cart, kills it. All he has is a varghulf and black knights (nothing to laugh at, I know) and He conceded.

PS- Im new to battle reports on here; is it uncommon to post it as a story?

Last edited by Chain Templar; May 4th, 2008 at 10:30. Reason: VC list
    How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

It's fairly common to post an approximation of your opponent's list. The points you have listed also adds up to 2258... you sure it was a 2k fight?

And did you choose not to get the blessing and roll for first turn? Heh, hate it when bret players do that when I'm expecting the first turn automatically. :p Luckily it worked for ya!

Lastly, I'm a bit confused. How did you fight multiple combats in one turn in a few of those instances? For example, the Knights of the Realm overran into a corpse cart. You cannot fight that on your turn unless that corpse cart was already in another combat that hadn't been worked out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake, it was 2250, not 2k. Thanks for the correction.

I did post what he had, though I dont know the points values. I'll edit it so that its in a list set up like my units are though.

Also, where are you reading that rule that they cant fight that combat unless it was in an unresolved combat?

Nope, figured it was best to just run straight at em, less time for him to summon skellies : P. Figured my 1+ armor would do fine; and it did : )

The rules for pursuit say that when you completely destroy an enemy in the first turn of combat, you still roll your pursuit move (I think its called "Overrun")and then if you reach a fresh enemy unit, you fight that combat immediately as if it were charging and the enemy may still select any normal charge reactions. But a single unit may only do that once per turn. Right?
    Last edited by Chain Templar; May 4th, 2008 at 10:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Over run allows you to move 2d6, or 3d6 movement. If you hit another unit it depends on weather that unit has fought combat that round or not. If the new unit has fought combat and finished its combat res then you would fight the next turn. If the new unit has not fought or completed is melee for the turn then you may attack again.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so we did play that correctly, because the Corpse Carts and the last unit of skeletons werent in combat with anybody, nor had they been.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Templar View Post
    Nope, figured it was best to just run straight at em, less time for him to summon skellies : P. Figured my 1+ armor would do fine; and it did : )
    Bret's only have a 2+ save - they don't have full plate armor.

Ok, so we did play that correctly, because the Corpse Carts and the last unit of skeletons werent in combat with anybody, nor had they been.
    No, there's a misunderstanding here. You only get to fight if you overrun into an existing combat that hasn't been worked out yet.

For example:
    1) You charge unit A, overrun into unit B. Unit B was not engaged previously, so you fight on your opponent's turn.
    2) You charge unit A, overrun into unit B. Unit B was already engaged by another one of your units, and they've already fought. You will fight on your opponent's turn.
    3) You charge unit A, overrun into unit B. Unit B was already engaged by another one of your units, and they have *NOT* already fought. Your unit will fight a second time when you resolve their combat.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Thats a nice solid victory vs. VC, congrats on that.

Did the VC run very magic heavy because I have to be impressed that you completly stoped his magic. Usually your facing 10-16 PD at that level. I'm also suprised that he didn't try to add more skeles to his unit. Having 3 squads of 10 is typically something caster heavy armies do, then on first turn they spam IoN to boost the units to around 20. Odd that he spent PD on a first turn Vanhels charge rather than beefing his units up.

Good call on charging rather than waiting. You can't give the VC any time to raise their units up to tarpit levels.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moob is RIGHT in both respects. Brets don't get a 1+sv (they already get a bloody ward save!!)

Also with the over run, what Moob said is basically STRAIGHT OUT OF THE RULE BOOK!! That is what happens. Otherwise if I'd been playing like what you'd been saying, I'd have my Lord on a zombie dragon get in flank charge position on turn 1 and roll up my opponents ENTIRE LINE!!! Vamp lord with Red fury, (4 to 8 attacks) as well as unit strength 6 to negate ranks and the zombie dragons 5 S6 attacks..

ANY hard hitting army or character combo would be unbeatable as they'd just roll up the entire army.. Thats Why the rules AREN'T like that!!

Look at the diagram 45.1 on pg 45

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertus View Post
    Moob is RIGHT in both respects. Brets don't get a 1+sv (they already get a bloody ward save!!)

Also with the over run, what Moob said is basically STRAIGHT OUT OF THE RULE BOOK!! That is what happens. Otherwise if I'd been playing like what you'd been saying, I'd have my Lord on a zombie dragon get in flank charge position on turn 1 and roll up my opponents ENTIRE LINE!!! Vamp lord with Red fury, (4 to 8 attacks) as well as unit strength 6 to negate ranks and the zombie dragons 5 S6 attacks..

ANY hard hitting army or character combo would be unbeatable as they'd just roll up the entire army.. Thats Why the rules AREN'T like that!!

Look at the diagram 45.1 on pg 45
    Calm down Gilbert, everyone makes mistakes. You know that old saying about throwing stones....

Anyways, regardless of the mistake with overrun, it looks like you had the battle well in hand anyways. Good job giving those Vamps a beating.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol.. Sorry.

I have come across lots of people who abuse the rules or just don't play by them, I have see them playing a little kid and thrash the little kid into the ground, not fun for the little kid when he is new and we are trying to "encourage" new people to play..

I had to have a chat about it to all the Fantasy members of our club, just to try and help newies out maybe even show them your battle plan, tell them what the best way to beat them is, (not ALL the ways mind you...lol). Thats what I do, I let them know when they may be making an error of judgement and tell them why I think that way, and of a better course to follow.. I still win but at least I and the newwie have fun, and he/she comes out of it happy and learns something new.

Anyway Sorry...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast