2000 Daemons of Chaos vs. Dwarves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Daemons of Chaos vs. Dwarves

I just got back from a great game and I thought I would share the experience with all of you!

An uneasy alliance: Decay and Flame

Heroes:

Epidemius

Herald of Nurgle
    Noxious Vapors

Herald of Tzeentch
    Master of Sorcery

Herald of Tzeentch
    Master of Sorcery

Core:

20 Plaguebearers of Nurgle
    Standard Bearer, Banner of Seeping Decay

20 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch

10 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch

5 Furies

5 Furies

Special:

5 Flesh Hounds of Khorne

5 Screamers of Tzeentch

3 Nurglings

Rare:

1 Beast of Nurgle

2 Fiends of Slaanesh

The Dwarves of Karak somethingorother

Heroes:

Dwarf Lord
    2 Runes of Snorri, Rune of Fate

Dragon Slayer
    Rune of Snorri, Master Rune of Swiftness

Runesmith
    Master Rune of Spellbinding

Core:

20 Dwarf Warriors with Shields
    Full Command

20 Dwarf Longbeards with Great Weapons and Shields
    Full Command

10 Thunderers

Special:

20 Hammerers with Shields
    Full Command + some awesome banner that he didn't use or reveal to me

Cannon

2x Bolt Thrower with Engineer

Rare:

Organ Gun

10 Slayers
    5 upgraded to Giant Slayers

Deployment and Terrain Placement:

The board was set up about like this:

(EDIT: Well, that didn't come out very well. I'll fix it tomorrow. Sleepy.

The hammerers went between the two hills, his organ gun sat on hill #1, Bolt thrower #1 was on the right side of Hill #1, and another bolt thrower on the Hill/Impassable just peeking over the hard cover and forest. He sat his thunderers on the hill/impassable next the the BT. His cannon went just to the left of his thunderers. He stuck his Slayers right in front of the hammerers, and put the warriors to the left of the hammerers. The longbeards sat in front of the organ gun. he then stuck his lord in the hammerers, a runesmith in the longbeards, and the dragon slayer sat behind the hammerers all by his lonesome.

In my deployment zone, I stuck the 20 man horror unit in the building, the plaguebearers + herald + epidemius to the right of the building, the 10 man horror unit to the left of the building, the screamers all the way to the right and up toward the woods as far as possible. Both horror units had a Herald in them. The Beast of Nurgle sat next to the Plaguebearers on the right, and the fleshounds to the right of the beast. The fiends sat next to the hounds, and that was that! I then sat a fury unit to the far left to deal with the organ gun, and stuck a unit in front of the hounds to screen them from... Nothing >_>; The nurglings went in the forest, but I forgot they were there until the last turn of the game. Ugh...

Dwarfs Turn 1:

He rolled to go first and decided to do so.

Movement: Marched the slayers up towards my Horrors/Plaguebearers. Nothing else moved

Shooting: The Bolt Thrower on the right shot at my Beast and caused only one wound. Unsaved. Cannoned into my PB unit, does a wound to a bearer that is ward saved.

Daemons Turn 1:

Movement: Moved the screamers to set them up for a flyover of the bolt thrower and thunderers next turn, put the furies in the hard cover to charge the thower next turn. Put the hounds in hard cover to charge the hammerers next turn, the fiends moved up to take out the cannon next turn. The furies on the left flew all the way towards the organ gun. Everything else marched close to get into magic range and to lure him towards my Plaguebearers.

Magic: Everything is dispelled except for one PD generator and ona flickering fire of Tzeentch, which took out 3 longbeards.

Dwarfs Turn 2:

Movement: Marched the Slayers ever closer, marched longbeards closer to the horrors. Still out of charge range of anything..

Shooting: Fires organ gun at furies, kills 1. Thunderers let loose on the Beast and do 2 unsaved wounds (Wow!) Cannons again into the bearers and does 2 wounds. Fail the look out sir, but the wound is saved (Phew!) Bolt Throwers the beast but fails to hit or wound ( can't remember which! )

Daemons Turn 2:

Movement: LOTS of charges! Left fury unit charges the organ gun which fails the fear and runs. The right fury unit charges the bolt thrower which passes fear check. Hounds charge the hammerers, fiends charge the cannon which fails the fear check, Plaguebearers charge the slayers. The horrors get just a bit closer to the rest of his army but stay out of charge range of the longbeards. The Screamers fly over the thunderers and do 3 wounds. The Thunderers pass panic check.

Magic: Nothing special gets through. fail Bolt of Change, so nothing interesting happens.

Combat: The hounds take out... FIVE HAMMERERS. 8X Whoo! The lord strikes back and does only one wound. I win combat but the stubborn hammerers stay like I knew they would. The Plaguebearers kill 3 of the giant slayers, the slayers kill one bearer. Both fury units and the fiends wipe the warmachine/crews and overpursue very short distances with the exception of the fiends who go off the table. Ah well.

Dwarfs Turn 3:

Movement: Dragon Slayer Charges the screamers, he moves his longbeards closer to the horrors.

Shooting: Does one more wound with the thunderers to the Beast of Nurgle (Regen hasn't done diddly for the beast so far this game) The last Bolt Thrower fires into the big horror unit but misses. Flank charges the hounds with the big unit of warriors.

Combat: 4 Hounds whiff all but two attacks and then roll double 1's to wound. The last hound kills one warrior on the side. Hammerers and Warriors do one more wound and I lose 3 hounds to instability. Dragon Slayer kills 3 screamers and the rest go poof. He does not overpursue. The Plaguebearers take out 1 giant slayer and 3 troll slayers. The last giant slayer kills a bearer.

Daemons Turn 3:

Movement: Both big horror units charge the longbeards which have been whittled down to 8 + runesmith. They fail fear and run enough to get away. Beast of Nurgle Charges into the Hammerers. Fiends come back on the table. Both Fury units charge the slayer. I get a rear on him!

Magic:I get a Gift of Chaos off and kill nothing. I Flickering Fire two fleeing Longbeards to death, and Miasma of Pestilence the Slayers, making them really easy to kill (yay!)

Combat: I kill the last 3 slayers with the bearers. At this point, I have enough nurgle kills to get my poisons on a 4+ from the Tallyman's Tally. The Beast Kills 3 Hammers, the last hound does nothing and dies immediately. The Beast stays alive. The Slayer strikes first and kills one fury. I do one wound in return and win combat, but he's unbreakable.

Dwarfs Turn 4:

Movement: Nothing to move! He rallies the fleeing longbeards.

Shooting: The Bolt Thrower kills 2 horrors. Oh well.

Combat: The Beast of Nurgle gets wiped. The Dragon Slayer kills 2 furies, but I do 1 wound back and he dies.

Daemons Turn 4:

Movement: I charge the now exposed warriors that were flanking my hounds in their flank with my Plaguebearers. They fail fear and run through the hammerers I charge the hammerers in the rear with the furies and the fiends. I recharge the Longbeards with the horrors and they hold this time.

Magic: Nothing gets off or if it did it wasn't anything spectacular or remotely helpful.

At this point, it was getting late and it was obvious that it wasn't a good day for the dwarves. He concedes and we shake hands to a good game. Daemons win!

Post-Battle:

It was a really fun game, but one thing I should say on my oppenents behalf is that this was only the second game that he has ever played despite having models and knowing the rules for a long time now. Those slayers were really annoying being unbreakable and all. My fear meant pretty much nothing against them. He rolled pretty badly. Failing 3/6 LD checks with LD9. That's scary. The strength of the hounds/bearers/fiends was enough to punch through his armour. The furies performed very well.

My opponent wants to build a slayer army. I would LOVE to play against it. It sounds like such a great army

Another victory for the Daemons of Chaos. Soon all of the world will fall to chaos. :party2:

Last edited by BlackSheep; June 3rd, 2008 at 01:13. Reason: Crappy ASCII art
    No, I don't have any wool.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was some terrible rolls for the dwaves for fear checks! It seems like you used the failed leadership checks to your advantage and cleaned the field.

Question for you: you magic phase did not seem to help overly much (unless I am missing something). Is this because you were facing dwarves (who have an particularly high dispel pool)?

I ask because I am slowly learning about the prowress of Tzeentch (Tzeentchian?) and Chaos magic but have seen very mixed results.
    I am not Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, but I wish I was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also wasn't rolling very well either. I think Khorne was angry about only having one Khornate unit in the army. I rolled two dice for a spell that need a 4 and got a 3. Then I barely got a 3+ spell of on the same roll. Also, the player was very wise about which spells to dispel and let go, and he rolled some very good dispels.

However, getting the miasma of pestience off was one of the turning points of the game. If I hadn't gotten that off, I might have been held up in combat with the slayers for another turn and that would have meant the exposed flank I was aiming for against the warriors would have been gone.

Don't underestimate chaos magic. Bolt of Change is the best magic missile out there, even though it needs a 12 to cast. It's all the more reason to take horrors Also, you wouldn't believe how much more useful adding a +1 to each value of the red fire replacement has made the spell. It's performed very well for me, especially when your opponent underestimates it and lets it go.
    No, I don't have any wool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
    I am not Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, but I wish I was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dwarfs dont run away! you got lucky there but i think you would have won if they didnt run, good game

+ Reply to Thread