The Wrath of Ike Battle Reports - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

The Wrath of Ike Battle Reports

Game 1
    Today I had my first game with this army. Here's my list:

Ike - Vampire Lord, level 3 wizard, Dreadlance, Crown of the Damned, Dread Knight, Red Fury, Walking Death
    All attacks automatically hit at strength 7. Unsaved wounds give another attack. 4+ ward save. 2+ armor save on barded nightmare, +1 to combat resolution, stupidity.

Gustav - Vampire, lvl 1 wizard, Battle Standard Bearer, Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred, War Banner
    2+ armor save on barded nightmare. Lance for str 7 attacks. +1 to combat resolution from the banner and rerolling missed hits every round.

Hanna - Vampire, lvl 1 wizard, Avatar of Death, Book of Arkhan, Talisman of the Lycni, Ghoulkin
    3+ armor save, bound spell for 8" movement, base movement of 9 for a nasty surprise, ghouls in army get pre-game march.

Crypt Ghouls x 20, Crypt Ghast
    Crypt Ghouls x 20
    Crypt Ghouls x 10

Dire Wolves x 5
    Dire Wolves x 5

Black Knights x 8, full command, Banner of Hellfire
    Magical, flaming attacks.

Spirit Host x 3
    Fell Bats x 5

Varghulf
    Varghulf
    My friend played this:
    Dreadlord-S6 attacks, regen armor, seadragon cloak, shield, seal of +1 dispel dice, rides a dark steed.
    Master-BSB, sword of might and ring of hotek(miscast on doubles), full mundane armor kit to a 2+, rides a dark steed.
    Death Hag- Cauldron of blood
    Sorceress- lvl. 1, 2x scrolls
    Assassin- extra hand weapon, rune of khaine (+D3 attacks), touch of death (killing blow)

18 warriors-muso, std, shields
    10 crossbows-muso, shields
    5 dark riders-muso, xbows
    5 dark riders-muso, xbows
    5 harpies

18 black guard- full command, banner of hag graef, champ has sould render (great weapon with armor piercing)
    5 shades- great weapons

2 bolt throwers
    Hydra
    Dave set up on the north side, plopping one rbt in the only wooded terrain and the other behind a pond. Some rock walls were on the western side towards the center. More trees were to the east in the southern half.

To the west of the rbt in the woods were a unit of dark riders, the hydra, and the harpies. In the center were the warriors and blackguard, with the cauldron behind them. To the east was another unit of dark riders and the crossbows.

I placed my spirit host across from the walls, knowing they could breeze through them unless he blocked me by jamming the wall. I was gunning for his hydra with my spirit host. The two varghulfs were near the spirit host, making sure it could march in turn 2. Then both units of ghouls were placed as you work in towards the center. Then Ike and his knights and the ten ghouls to the east. Both units of dogs were between, stacked one behind the other, were between Ike and the small ghoul unit. The fell bats were on that side, too, looking for shooting.

Turn 1
    Ghoulkin gave me that extra 8 inches and then I won first turn and got my regular moves in. I knew it'd be fast, but not until I saw those ghouls 16 inches off their deployment line did I realize just how quickly they'd get in position. I was looking for combat right off the block since I needed to learn what the army could do. Ike steered east a little to bait a flank off the Black Guard. The spirit host moved across the wall and blocked the gap between the woods in his deployment zone and my main force. Dogs headed straight for shooters and the flyers angled off to do the same. The varghulfs were looking to assassinate characters or charge the rbt if they could. Magic saw a unit of zombies raised in front of the rbt in the woods.

He played defensively and his infantry held their ground. He magicked away the zombies and was able to fire a full salvo of two rbts and the crossbows at the nights, killing 4. Yikes! His dark riders failed a fear test to charge the wolves.

Turn 2
    My dogs run down his shades who fail a fear test. The small unit of ghouls fails to reach the dark riders on their charge. The fell bats have at the crossbowmen. I angle the ghouls so that either the one unit of ghouls or Ike will get a flank charge on his black guard. Magic brings back 2 knights. Spirit hosts continue to pester his western flank, though he'll never let me get to his units. Fell bats kill a couple of elves but lose combat, though they don't vanish.

He charges the ghouls, surprising me by exposing the flank of his BG to Ike. He does a crapload of damage to them, but not enough die to combat res for him to break through. Here I got my first lesson on how deadly these Black Guard are. With the cauldron giving them an extra attack, they have 3 apiece, 4 for the champ, and the general's there, too. They're ItP, stubborn, and have halberds, and they have ASF from the banner. They would do a pile of wounds over the course of the combat.

Turn 3
    Ike charges the flank, though the knights do nothing. He again hammers me with his black guard, but Ike's combo of dreadlance and red fury is devastating. I drop his general in one go. Gustav adds another three wounds. The war banner, unit standard, bsb, walking death, and wounds force him to take his break test, but that damned ItP stubborn makes it easy. The ghouls that charge the warriors don't fare much better, also losing quite a bit to combat res. The small ghoul unit to the east rolls crap dice against the dark riders, now that it could chage them. By the time they die a couple of turns later, they never manage to kill even one.

He sets up a trap for my varghulf or spirit host but is content to keep the host away from the main action, just as I'm content to keep his hydra busy. The vargies charge a rbt, running the crew off, and the other fails to make it into the warrior combat. Bats die this turn or next to the crossbows.

Turns 4 - 6
    Best to summarize here. Ike kicks butt, he really does. He again piles up wounds and again forces the black guard to test. They're damned tough, the black guard, but they're being whittled down. Eventually, Ike will roll 4 ones to wound and utterly botch a roll, but even then, he wins combat. At this point, he's the only one left. His entire entourage is gone, Gustav included. He charges solo into the warriors, with the varghulf for help. They win combat and start grinding them down. The BSB is killed and I'll end up with 3 banners and a kill on his general.

At the end of the game, I have only Ike, 1.5 varghulfs, the spirit host, and that's it. Still, I had a draw strongly in my favor, which tells me it's a forgiving army. The ghouls were steamrolled. Ike's entourage ran into a brick wall with the black guard but he won that combat on his own. The varghulfs are great units. Spirit hosts are as handy as they were in 6th edition. Once I learn to play this list with more finesse, the army should do well. I just wanted to see what would happen so I went full steam ahead, charging his toughest unit just to see how tough it was and what I could do to it. Moving 16 inches by the end of turn one with infantry is great, but it doesn't leave you much time to set up combats. It's a cool army, and I think I'll stick with it for now but it's not a point and click army, that's for sure.

Last edited by DavidWC09; October 6th, 2008 at 03:54.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I have learned much from your report dave great work !

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Gotta be careful in multi-charging with an important unit when a real fighty enemy like a cauldroned striking-first black guard unit is also in combat with some of your core. If they get a good set of rolls, they could potentially win the combat by causing massive amounts of wounds to the core and devastating your other unit in the process to CR.

Also, I'm curious - Did you give the black knights barding? Since the vamps are with them, they're already moving 7 since Dread Knight gives you a barded nightmare. What I find the most annoying, though, is that a vamp can't take a skeletal steed, so if he joins a unit of black knights, they lose their ethereal movement... :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Lovely, succinct battle report with enough information to really characterise the battle.

VC are a horrendous army to face when used properly and I have no doubt that within a few games you'll be adept with them. Ike looks devastating. Mind if I show my friend that config? He plays VC but uses spam mages to re-cast Invocations all day and its very boring for him and for me.

Anyway, I like it when players new to armies post up their first reports so REP for you!

Now, lets hear moar!
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great report! Ike's build is very similar to my own general, and you're right, the dreadlance + red fury combo is devastating. Well done on the win, even if it was a test battle!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    Gotta be careful in multi-charging with an important unit when a real fighty enemy like a cauldroned striking-first black guard unit is also in combat with some of your core. If they get a good set of rolls, they could potentially win the combat by causing massive amounts of wounds to the core and devastating your other unit in the process to CR.

Also, I'm curious - Did you give the black knights barding? Since the vamps are with them, they're already moving 7 since Dread Knight gives you a barded nightmare. What I find the most annoying, though, is that a vamp can't take a skeletal steed, so if he joins a unit of black knights, they lose their ethereal movement... :/
    Yeah, the black guard really caused some problems. It was really the vampires that saved my butt. I wanted the head-on battle just to see what would happen, and now I know. Those guys are devastating.

Yeah, the knights had barding. Of course, I couldn't make any saves with them, once they were modified to 3+.

Quote Originally Posted by Quannum View Post
    Lovely, succinct battle report with enough information to really characterise the battle.

VC are a horrendous army to face when used properly and I have no doubt that within a few games you'll be adept with them. Ike looks devastating. Mind if I show my friend that config? He plays VC but uses spam mages to re-cast Invocations all day and its very boring for him and for me.
    Sure, go for it. I first saw it over in the VC section. About magic, I wanted just enough to use IoN to keep the vamps alive and buff my infantry if I can. Otherwise, it's all about speed and fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosundivided View Post
    Great report! Ike's build is very similar to my own general, and you're right, the dreadlance + red fury combo is devastating. Well done on the win, even if it was a test battle!
    Near win. Sunday I play Dave again. This time I'm going for the kill! (Though he's already informed me he's dropping the regen armor on his general for the pendant of reverse ward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

interesting reading this battle report, Dave, especially since i'm waiting for you to finish doing the dragon for this army.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave: Meh, I consider even draws a victory for vampires, as I'm hugely biased Besides, we get to summon ours and our opponents dead back, so no real loss story wise

:blink: Oh wow, I used logic! Yay me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

My second game with this army was a debacle. I would roll a natural miscast right out of the gates, followed by several more at the behest of the Ring of Hotek. Then on the miscast table, I would roll an 11, 12, 4, 5, and I think an 8.

This game went south in a hurry, and I conceded in turn 5, allowing time to play a second match.

The second game went much better, at least for the first 3 or 4 turns. I controlled my movement better and deployed the varghulfs differently, each supporting two or three fast units on the flanks. I took good position on the edge of a hill with my ghouls, but backed off as his black guard unit approached, allowing my spirit host to charge the flank of his spear block, to little effect.

I ran Hanna solo, under the aegis of the fell bats, spirit host, and varghulf. She did a good job running rampant with 18 inches of movement.

His Hydra would charge my knights and dish out a lot of pain. Hatred allows him a pile of hits, and then with the cauldron of blood granting the unit killing blow, he chomps off Gustav's head and eventually destroys all of the unit except the vampire lord who barely survives until the end of the game.

Things looked really good for a while, and then things looked really bad.

I'm having to relearn to play vampires. I gave them up over two years ago for wood elves, and I'm still getting reacquainted, the hard way.

+ Reply to Thread