Dentonamo Games Day 1 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Dentonamo Games Day 1

First off, to pronounce Dentonamo, rhyme it with Geronimo.

There's an Indy GT in San Antonio, TX, this weekend. Originally I had hoped to go the Alamo GT, but balancing my checkbook deferred that decision. Instead, I hosted the first annual Dentonamo Games Day. Six of us gathered and played a couple of games of WHFB each. I played WEs and VC, Dave and Brett played Dark Elves, Peter and Paul played Tomb Kings, and Matt played the new Hordes of Chaos rules.

For my first game, I played my Wood Elves against Peter's Tomb Kings. Early in the game, Peter's catapult would misfire and destroy itself, exposing the Tomb Prince that had taken shelter there. I dumped every bit of shooting at my disposal on the blighter and dropped him.

My archers would eventually outshoot his archers, thanks to good rolling. One unit of glade guard fled a charge from his swarm, and I charged them with everything I had: a unit of scouts with the banner of the zenith, a single war dancer, and a unit of dryads. The swarm vanished under the combined charge, though it had earlier impeded some fleeing warhawks, destroying them.

On the other side of the table, I would flee a carrion charge and jump his unit of flyers with a massed unit of dryads and a unit of glade guard, the latter for a flank and numbers bonus. This combat destroyed the carrion, and things were looking up.

Meanwhile, his Casket of Souls had flared up. Even though I had 7 rerollable dispel dice, he'd get some spells through. I hoped my leadership would resist some of the casket's effects, but he rolled really well, toasting seveal units.

His chariots got a magical charge against a small unit dryads and steamrolled them. His unit of Tomb Guard, which had slinked back until now, got off a magical charge and caught the large unit of Dryads with a fully loaded branchwraith.

My noble on eagle and a unit of wardancers would charge his unit of chariots when it reappeared on the table. The other great eagle failed its fear test. The noble would run after losing the combat, but the war dancers held. Later, though, the eagle rider would get caught.

I still had a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 wizards on the field but I conceded with the cause clearly lost.

We took a break while Peter and Brett finished up. Dave helped me get Army Builder 2.2 working on my PC. Matt wrote a new Chaos list. I packed up the WEs and got out the VC.

Game 2, I played Matt's chaos. He had a unit of nurgle warriors, two units of marauder infantry, 2 units of knights, two disc riders, two units of hounds, and I think that's all.

His knights turned out to be just as tough as ever. One unit would hit a unit of skeletons, reducing it from 25 models to 5 by the end of one round of combat. Another unit of skellies would charge into the combat and a few invocations buffed up the wounded unit enough to keep the vampire alive, eventually beat the knights, and run them down.

Hannah was now exposed. Instead of having her join the nearby unit of skeletons, she charged some marauder horsemen, along with a unit of direwolves and go on to overrun into a unit of war hounds, destroying them, too.

On the other side of the table, his knights lined up across from my spirt hosts, skeletons, and varghulfs. I had already read the HoC book, so I knew that his knights' sword attacks were magical. Thus warned, the spirit hosts hightailed it towards the general's unit while the skeletons and varghulf went to engage the knights. Eventually, the varghulf and unit of skeletons would go down to his knights' superiority in the combat phase.

He ran a war alter which I learned is one tough son of a gun. Luckily, I caught it with a Danse Macabre and sent it running after it had rolled "The Eye is Closed" a couple of times. It didn't do much, though I did bounce some dire wolves off the side of it. I was curious how hard it was, and let me tell you, it's damned hard.

I blundered with the fell bats and lost them early.

Ike's unit of knights ran down a unit of marauders and found itself in the pincers of a chariot, a second unit of marauders, and the unit of nurgle infantry. I pushed Danse Macabre through and moved them forward and then turned them 180 degrees so that they now had all three of his units in their front arc. It absolutely saved my ass that game.

Ike would go on to run down the unit of nurgle infantry and still get back into the game in time to run down the remaining marauder unit. It's one hell of a unit: Red Fury, Dreadlance, Walking Death, War Banner on BSB , Double Unit Size, 8 Black Knights. Ike accepted challenge after challenge from his guys who were rule-bound to issue them. Ike would paste his pop tart wannabe chaos champion time and time again.

Towards the end of the game, I had three of his banners, he had 2 of mine, and he had one quarter. After we tallied the points, I had nearly won but some late game delusions of grandeur by the remaining unit dire wolves kept from crossing the finish line.

Dentonamo I was a lot of fun, though preparing, playing, and cleaning up cost a lot of time. I set up three gaming tables in our long, large living room, which meant temporarily rearranging some other furniture. Anyhow, it was worth it. A fun day for all.

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man if i was that TK player, I would put my tomb prince in those chariots whipping those skeletal horses into shape around the Battlefield.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by trapjaw View Post
    Man if i was that TK player, I would put my tomb prince in those chariots whipping those skeletal horses into shape around the Battlefield.
    The chariots had their own tomb prince. That one caused more problems than any other character.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread