2000 Pts, High Elves vs Dwarves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

2000 Pts, High Elves vs Dwarves

The armies,
    High Elves
    Prince, Armour of Caledor, Gaurdian Phoenix, Star Lance, Talisman of Loec, Griffon
    Noble, Reaver Bow, Dragon Armour, Shield and Lance, Eagle
    10 Archers
    22 Spears, Full Command (5x4 with 2 stragglers)
    12 Swordmasters, Full Command
    2 Tiranoc Chariots
    Lion Chariot
    5 Ellyrion Reavers, Musician
    5 Shadow Warriors
    3 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    1 Eagle

Dwarves
    Rune Priest, Great Weapon with Anvil and Rune of take a leadership test to charge
    Thane BSB, Strollaz Rune + others
    Thane, with stuff that wasnít used
    20 Warriors [1], Shields, Full Command
    20 Warriors, Shields, Full Command (with BS
    20 Long Beards, Shields, Full Command (with thane)
    20 Miners, Full Command
    5 Slayers
    Cannon
    Grudge Thrower

Terrain and deployment, all from the elven point of view
    There was a big hill in the centre of the elven line with all the Bolt throwers on top and the archers in front, right of the hill Chariot, Spears, Swordmasters, Lion Chariot. The left flank had some ruins and everything fast.

Cliffs and some buildings containing warmachines opposite fast stuff, Anvil behind a low wall, Long Beards, Warriors with BSB, Warriors [1], Forest with Shadow Warriors. The rest was basically open maybe a tree or 2.

Dwarves took first turn;
    Everything marched straight at me.
    Grudge thrower killed 3 swordmasters, Cannon missed a Tiranoc Chariot, Anvil used wrath and ruin at normal power and did no wounds to griffon.

High Elves
    Set up eagle rider, Griffon, Eagle and Reavers to charge Warmachines or Anvil shuffled my combat line round to make space for chariots, removed a rank from both warrior units with shooting, failed to wound the Slayers.

Dwarves Turn 2
    Both warrior units closed the gap on their targets and slayers closed on a chariot, Anvil failed on move rune but didnít kill itself. The Grudge thrower dropped its rock on the Eagle, Killing it and its rider outright. Cannon missed again.

High Elves
    Chariot Charged Slayers, Spears and Tiranoc Chariot charged Warriors with BSB, Swordmasters and Lion Chariot charged Warriors, Shadow warriors moved behind Swordmaster warriors to kill them if they fled a long way. Lone Eagle charged Cannon and Prince on Griffon charged Anvil. Shot at the Long beard with everything and reduced them to 11 including their Thane. Sword masters and Lion Chariot Ripped up their unit of Warriors, They broke and fled 1Ē, I couldnít restrain the Chariot and it pursued through them, the Shadow Warriors and some woods, killing 4 Shadow Warriors and doing a wound on itself. The Swordmasters also pursued. Chariot against the Slayers did 3 wounds and suffered 1 itself (it needed to do 5 and only got 2 impact hits). The spearmen won their combat and took no wounds, the Dwarven BSB didnít break. Prince challenged, and did a wound to the Rune Priest, and suffered only the wound from the Talisman of Loec. The Eagle stalemated but didnít break. A very eventful turn but I made most of my mistakes here.

Dwarves Turn 3
    Longbeards moved up to the archers, Miners arrived behind my support hill and threatened 2 of my Bolt Throwers. Grudge thrower missed my Swordmasters. In combat the Dwarven BSB continued to stalemate against the Spearmen and Chariot but did win this time, but I passed my Leadership test, (for the last time I think). My Prince and Griffon didnít wound the Rune Priest and he did 2 wounds back on the Prince, which I failed to save on both ward and armour save, Griffon passed his monster reaction check but lost combat and fled. Eagle killed a dwarf crew and was wounded in return, drawn combat again. Chariot killed a couple more slayers, leaving one alive. It was finely balanced but could tip either way, I felt the elves had a slight upper hand although I really shouldnít have.

High Elves
    Reavers charged the anvil (this should have been done on Turn 2 instead of the Griffon) Griffon rallied, Lion Chariot moved towards the Anvil, Swordmasters turned to face the flank/rear of the BSB unit, I moved a bolt thrower, which was silly should have shot all 3 and hoped to kill the long beards. 2 Bolt throwers and Archers shot at the Longbeards and killed 6 including the Thane, in combat the Chariot killed the last Slayer, the Eagle opened up on the cannon crew killing 2, but they held. The spears and chariot continued to battle the warriors in attrition, just winning the combat but BSB didnít break.

Dwarves Turn 4
    Longbeards charged the Archers, Miners charged the Bolt Thrower, Grudge Thrower just missed but did kill a Swordmaster. Eagle finished of the last of the Cannon crew, and prepared to take on the Grudge Thrower, the archers were smashed by the long beards who pursued into a Bolt Thrower, paniced the chariot, which crushed the last remaining Shadow Warrior, with its 17Ē flight. Repeater Bolt Thrower crew lost to miners and fled but 1 escaped. Reavers and Spearmen continued to drag out their combats but both were getting tired.

High Elves
    Declared Charges with Eagle on Grudge Thrower, Swordmasters into the rear of the Warriors, Lion Chariot into the Anvil, from the flank, he unleashed his rune of take a leadership test before you charge this turn and I failed every single test stranding all my units. It was the right time for him to use it really, he had forgotten about it or he would have used it turn 2 which I would have preferred. So I shuffled things around, attempting to block line of sight and get closer to units. In combat the spearmen continued to battle on, this time the combat was a draw the Rune Priest killed a couple of Reavers and this time they fled.

Dwarves Turn 5
    Grudge Thrower again missed the Swordmasters, and the anvil did wrath and ruin. I felt bad but I talked him out of using ultimate power, as he has hideous luck with the anvil and only needed to do 2 wounds to the lion chariot to kill it with no other worth while targets. He did no wounds and rolled a 6 for the anvil strike so Ultimate power would have worked. In combat the BSB and his Warriors managed to wound a couple more spearmen and the spearmen lost by 1, this was too much and both Chariot and spearmen broke and fled, but being exhausted, neither fled far and were caught by the dwarves. Longbeards finished of the last bolt thrower, and the miners killed the fleeing Reavers.

High Elves
    Swordmasters charged the rear of the warriors, who fled far enough to escape but not off the board, Griffon flapped around trying to terrorise stuff, Lion Chariot charged the Anvil from the flank, Eagle Charged the Grudge Thrower. Lion Chariot killed a helper with impact hits and kills the Rune Lord but was wounded in return, Eagle fluffed dwarves did not, doing 3 wounds and killing the Eagle.

Dwarves Turn 6
    Rallys BSB and warriors, who turn to face the Swordmasters, Long Beards turn to face the Griffon. Grudge thrower misses the Swordmasters again, his guesses were perfect but he hadnít given it the rune of accuracy which was a bit odd and it kept scattering off them. The lion chariot killed the last remaining helper.

High Elves
    Swordmasters charged the Warriors, Griffon charges the Longbeards. This turn could have tied everything up for me if I was lucky, Swordmasters killed everyone except the champion who killed 2 in return, Champion failed to wound in his challenge with BSB and was killed himself, Swordmasters lost combat and fled. Griffon killed one Long Beard and took 2 wounds, lost combat and fled, about 4 inches but was pursued 3 so escaped.

A really fun game, we both made a number of errors, my ones that strike me the most were, charging the Griffon into the Rune Priest behind the wall, he had Starlance but I forgot that you lose charging bonuses with defended obstacles so that was wasted. Had the Reavers charged I could have got behind him with the griffon and he wouldnít have been protected. My deployment was a bit arrogant as well, putting my warmachines together isnít something I normally do but I was over confident. Apart from that leadership went a bit awry but there is not much I can do about that.

Sorry there are no pictures, c & c welcome and appreciated.

Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Nice report, nice to see the pointy ears taking a few hits (I play both, but the Dwarfs are out at the moment)

One small point during the battle. You dont do impact hits on your own units or chariot when pursuing/overrunning. You can always choose to stop in front of one of your own units or terrain. You still catch the fleeing unit if you would have done.
    This might well have made a difference to the outcome.

I like seeing Strollaz armies used (I'm on one at the moment) but I'm not sure they need an anvil...
    Current painting project: 2300 pts of Dwarfs in 5 weeks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

One small point during the battle. You dont do impact hits on your own units or chariot when pursuing/overrunning. You can always choose to stop in front of one of your own units or terrain. You still catch the fleeing unit if you would have done.
    This might well have made a difference to the outcome.
    Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten and confused it with the rule for fleeing. As it was it probably worked out to my benefit as it lined me up with the anvil for later but still good to know.

It was good for my friend to get a win, he has had a bit of bad luck in his games recently, hopefully it encourages him.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    234 (x3)

I don't know why but a mistake i see a lot of high elf players make is to take a mage and put all their point into him even agaist dwarfs. i guess that they're hoping to get off with irresistable force. nice choice with your noble and prince. Also i'm suprised to see that you didn't take the pendent of vengence. that could have turned the game when he failed the ruen. Also i'm surprised to see that you didn't give any one the cloak of beards.
    But i think that your list was great.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Thanks very much for the compliments on the list, it wasn't designed specifically for Dwarves but I couldn't find the points for a scroll caddy and since I was playing Dwarves wasn't too bothered.

My friend doesn't normally take an anvil so the pendant of vengeance would be a bit wasted, cloak of BEards is cool but I don't really like it that much, costs a bit too much, maybe on a noble in the spearmen if he existed.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread