2000 pts High Elves vs Dark Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

2000 pts High Elves vs Dark Elves

The armies,
    High Elves

Prince, Armour of Caledor, Gaurdian Phoenix, Star Lance, Talisman of Loec, Griffon
    Noble, Great Weapon, Shield, Helm of Fortune
    Mage, 2 Scrolls
    10 Archers
    18 Spears, Full Command (5x4 with 2 Mage and Noble)
    12 Swordmasters, Full Command
    2 Tiranoc Chariots
    Lion Chariot
    5 Ellyrion Reavers, Musician
    5 Shadow Warriors
    2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
    2 Eagles

This was loosely based on my last army list, with the addition of a scroll caddy, which you need against Dark Elves.

Dark Elves
    Malus
    Mage L2, 2 Scrolls (Dark magic, 1 and 6)
    Mage L2, 2 Scrolls (Shadow Magic, 1 and 6)
    10 Repeater Xbows, Shields
    10 Repeater Xbows, Shields
    5 Dark Riders, Repeater Xbows
    10 Black Gaurd, Full Command, Banner of Hag Graef, MR1
    14 Cold One Knights, Full Command, MR1, (Banner I think)
    7 Shades, Great Weapons, Assassin,
    Bolt Thrower

I don't think that this was a great list, He could have effectively defended from magic with the ring of Hotek and then got himself a hydra as well instead of one of those mages.

From left to right from the High Elves perspective,
    Eagles and Tiranoc Chariot were opposite the Dark Riders, on the left of a large forest that contained the shades, Black Gaurd (with Shadow Mage) were behind the forest beside a hill that had the Bolt Thrower on it and Cross bows in front. Opposite them were the Archers, the 14 Cold Ones + Malus were in the middle of the Dark Elf Line beside them were the other unit of Repeater Cross Bows. Opposite the Cold Ones were the Spears and Swordmasters who were deep in the deployment zone. A high hill gaurded the Swordmaster flank and contained both Bolt throwers with the Griffon out of sight behind it. The Reavers and a chariot were to the right of the Griffon, the Lion Chariot had the extreme right flank, I thought that he would have 2 units of Cold Ones not just 1, and the 2 chariots would have been able to cope with them. Shadow Warriors were hidden in the hills to the right of the R XBows.

Turn 1
    Dark Elves won the roll for the first turn and took it, moving forward aggressively with the Cold Ones the Black Gaurd headed for the gap between the hills and the forest. Assassin came out and was flown down behind the archers and shot at the eagle, Shades moved up so they could see out both sides of the forest and shot at the Eagle, Repeater Cross Bows moved 5" and shot at the Archers, the other RXBows were out of Range. He managed to do a wound with Dark Magic base spell to the archers, so they couldn't shoot. Other than that and flying the assassin he had an unevent ful magic phase. Shooting did 2 wounds to the eagle and his Bolt thrower killed one of my bolt thrower crew.

High elves moved out, the damaged eagle getting in the way of the cold one knights, Griffon, Swordmasters and spearmen setting up to charge them next turn, Chariot and Eagle Charged the Dark Riders, who fled and escaped. Archers moved to protect the spearmen from the assassin for a turn (hopefully). Shooting killed 3 Cold One Knights and did 2 wounds to the assassin (luckily) killing it.

Turn 2
    He ignored the eagle but charged the shades into the chariot (this was a well set trap and well done) everything else moved forwards. Magic was uneventful apart from a miscast on the shadow mage that wounded him and killed 2 Black Gaurd. Shooting (mostly at the griffon) was equally uneventful, he finished of the Bolt Thrower with only 1 crew though. Shades beat the Chariot and followed it off the board.

Everything charged the Cold One Knights, Spears and Swordmasters from the front, Griffon from the flank (into Malus). Eagle moved to see the bolt thrower and Dark mage and hide from the Dark Riders, Shadow warriors charged the flank of the Repeat Crossbows, but only one reached and then lost, fled and were caught. Shooting killed a couple more Black Gaurd. The combat in the middle of the table was all that mattered though, Spears did no wounds, Noble did no wounds, Swordmasters did 3 wounds (1 on the champion), Prince used the talisman of Loec doing 1 Hit the first time (oh crap) but rerolled the 4 attacks and got 2 hits next time, both wounded, Malus was dead (thank goodness) Griffon did 1 wound, leaving no attacks in their direction. In response the Cold Ones and Knights did 5 wounds to the Swordmasters, meaning I only won by static Combat res +1. He borke and fled but I couldn't catch him.

Turn 3
    Black Gaurd turned to face the spearmen flank, Cold Ones rallied. Shooting left me with 4 Swordmasters, and killed my Prince, which frenzied the griffon. (I was a bit worried here, I thought that I was going to cave in after a good start.)

Everything charged the Cold One Knights again + a chariot hit their flank, shooting was good and took the Black Gaurd down to less 3 and a mage. Nothing fluffed in the combat this time except the armour of the Cold Ones was Paper, Chariot killed 3, Griffon killed 3 Swordmasters killed 2, Noble killed the last 2, letting the chariot over run into the flank of the RXBows, but they paniced and fled into the forest going to ground.

Turn 4
    Magic could have swung the game still but I used my last scroll this turn (he had really bad luck rolling 4 on 2 dice for Power of Darkness often)

I shot the shadow mage down that turn then the Dark Mage in turn 5. Dark Riders were charged by Lion Chariot and Griffon, fled and were run down.

I think that it was probably a major Victory for the High Elves but we never worked it out, there was a single fleeing black gaurd and a unit of 7 Repeater Cross Bows alive and I had only lost 1 Chariot, Prince, Swordmasters, Repeater Bolt Thrower.

This is a very different list to the ones my friend normally plays, killing his assassin was pretty lucky, it could have been a pain in the but wiping out my back line. I should have charged the shades turn 1 with the chariot, and just the eagle against the Dark Riders, he may have held then and I could have killed both units.

When he had lost that big unit of Cold Ones though he was always going to be in trouble though and I think that he knew that. I think that if he plays a similar list again he will set it up a bit differently.

Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Close battle - that'll learn him to put an assasin in front of several ranks of archers!

TBH I would always try and engage as many enemy units as possible with uneven match-ups so attempting to charge the dark riders might have been the prudent thing. Issue is that with Fire and Flee, and with the Dark Elves high LD making their rallying all but guaranteed, I would want to hit easier to reach targets first, and use my own fliers or cavalry to engage the Dark Riders, else mow them down with repeater and bow fire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    234 (x3)

close game. but bare in mind to take advatage of the always strike fisrt rule. especially when fightiing other elves. the dark elves spacial hatred rule is not something that you want to let him use often.

do you like the white lions? my whole army is kinda centered around them and dragon princes

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    Close battle - that'll learn him to put an assasin in front of several ranks of archers!
    Yeah it was a real gamble, the archers couldn't shoot though it was just that a bolt thrower was just in short range, else it might have worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    TBH I would always try and engage as many enemy units as possible with uneven match-ups so attempting to charge the dark riders might have been the prudent thing. Issue is that with Fire and Flee, and with the Dark Elves high LD making their rallying all but guaranteed, I would want to hit easier to reach targets first, and use my own fliers or cavalry to engage the Dark Riders, else mow them down with repeater and bow fire.
    I knew that he was going to flee with the Dark riders and almost certainly get away, using just the eagle, or just the chariot he may have held, both was overkill.

Just the chariot charging would have had the same result, except that the eagle would have been able to see the Bolt Thrower in turn 2 instead of giving him 4 turns of shooting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by battle_pilgrim View Post
    do you like the white lions? my whole army is kinda centered around them and dragon princes
    Yes I do, another list I really like uses a block of 18 White Lions, and 2 units of 5 Dragon Princes and Magic.

I think that White Lions are probably our best elite infantry but for this list I wanted something vulnerable to scare my enemy, hopefully splitting their shooting between, Swordmasters, Lion Chariot and Griffon, White Lions would just get ignored.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread