2000 pts High Elves Vs Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

2000 pts High Elves Vs Lizardmen

Date: 27th March 2010

Army Composition: Standard

Board size: 6x4’

Deployment Zones: Standard

Deployment Method: Standard

Introduction

Just about managing to keep up my rate of 1 game a month I was playing Nick again as I hadn’t managed to get hold of my Empire opponent Andy for a game. Unlike last time this was going to be a straight pitched battle.

As Nick has recently started building a Lizardman army I said I wouldn’t be averse to facing that. Last time I faced Lizardmen it was also against Nick and I got wiped off the board as I couldn’t deal with 2 Stegadons plus all the other bits and pieces. I wasn’t particularly holding out any hopes of a win this time round unless his magic users were miscasting left, right and centre, but I was hoping to do better, especially as I was testing what I hoped would be a near to final list for use when I manage to start getting down a games club and going to tournaments a bit later this year.

Armies

Lizardmen

Slann Mage Priest (General)
    * Focus of Mystery
    * Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest
    * Engine of the Gods
    * Plaque of Tepok

Scar Veteran
    * Cold One
    * Light Armour
    * Shield
    * Biting Blade

20 Saurus Warriors
    * Standard

14 Temple Guard
    * Standard
    * Sun Standard of Cholec

5 Saurus Cavalry
    * Standard

10 Skink Skirmishers

10 Skink Skirmishers

3 Kroxigor

3 Terradons

1 Razordon

List Comment

In a way I was relieved that I was only facing the one Stegadon, although on the other hand I’m guessing that I’m more likely to find other Lizardmen players taking at least two to tournaments, comp permitting, so I could really do with practice against two to figure out how to limit damage against them.

I was also surprised that the Slann only had the one free Discipline of the Ancients. Granted the big toad is rather expensive even when naked but I’m not sure I could have resisted the urge to give him the Focused Rumination as well.

All in all I’d guess this is as close to a fluffy non-WAAC Lizardmen army that’s still not overly soft as you’ll see.

High Elves

Archmage (General)
    * Level 4 upgrade
    * Silver Wand
    * Dispel Scroll
    * Guardian Phoenix
    * Ring of Fury

Noble
    * Battle Standard Bearer
    * Talisman of Protection
    * Armour of Caledor
    * Sword of Might

16 White Lions
    * Full Command
    * Banner of Sorcery

10 Sword Masters [4]
    * Musician

5 Dragon Princes
    * Musician

5 Dragon Princes
    * Musician

Ellyrian Reavers

10 Archers

21 Spearmen
    * Full Command
    * Warbanner

Great Eagle

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

List Comment

I was a bit nervous about this list only having the one spellcaster, even if it was a level 4 with five spells. The Archmage is already quite a big points sink and I was giving him 95 points worth of magic items to boot. I was also a bit nervous about only taking one other character in the BSB but I’ve decided I need to try putting the points another character would take up into another unit.

This list was also the first time I’ve tried fielding both a Great Eagle and a unit of Reavers. My experiences against Orcs and Goblins have taught me that I really need two fast semi-disposable units to try and interfere with the enemy as they come across the table. It’s just as shame that the only options for High Elves are comparatively expensive and lightweight.

Table Set-up

The scenery was clustered at either end of the table with a large double-layered hill in the bottom left corner and wood in the bottom right. Between midway and the wood was a small hill. On the other side of the table there was a wood in the top left corner, a village in the top right and a medium sized hill close to it, opposite the small hill on the other side of the table.

Magic Selection

Lizardmen

Slann Mage Priest

Lore of Heavens
    * All of lore

Skink Priest

Lore of Heavens
    * Portent of Far
    * Comet of Casandora

High Elves

Archmage

Lore of Death
    * Dark Hand of Death
    * Steal Soul
    * Wind of Death
    * Doom and Darkness!
    * Drain Life

Magic Comment

I’d agonised over my choice of magic for this game, considering taking Metal, Shadow, Beasts and Death. In the end I went for Death hoping that I’d be able to get Doom and Darkness off on any units my forces got into combat with to try and hopefully overcome the Cold-blooded leadership of the Lizards. Fortunately I didn’t roll Walking Death which I figured would be the least useful to me in this game.

Deployment

Nick was deploying first and dropped his two units of skinks down in lines, one to the right of the woods in his deployment zone and the other behind the hill.

As my first deployment I’d put down one bolt thrower on top of the double-level hill and the other bolt thrower on the other hill. Not the most imaginative deployment I know but I was hoping that one or both of them would be able to get a bead on the Stegadon as it came across the table.

Nick’s two blocks deployed behind the Skinks who were behind the hill. My Archers deployed diagonally on the lower level of the hill in my left corner, giving them a good view of the battlefield and the Sword Masters were just to the left of the middle in the gap between the hills.

The Saurus Cavalry went pretty much where I didn’t want them to, on the left hand side of the woods, so I deployed my first unit of Dragon Princes on top of the hill where I could hopefully use them as a counter unit.

The three Kroxigor went to the right of the Temple Guard while the Razordon and Terradons went in the woods. My blocks went either side of the Sword Masters and the remaining Dragon Princes went between the Spearmen and the hill.

Deploying characters, the Slann went with the Temple Guard, the Scar Veteran with the Saurus Cavalry and the Engine of the Gods hid in the village. My characters went into the blocks – the Archmage with the White Lions and the Noble with the Spearmen.

Lizardmen – Turn 1

Movement

It was a case of “Lizardmen Ho!” as the whole Lustrian force except for the Terradons advanced up the table.

Magic

Atop his monstrous beast the Skink Priest activated the Engine to reduce the casting cost of Lore of Heavens spells.

The Slann cast Forked Lightning at the Sword Masters. Aware of what else was in the Heavens deck at the Slann’s disposal I decided to chance it and let it through. Possibly a bad decision as it caused 3 hits and wounds which left the Sword Masters fleeing 6” towards the board edge.

The Skink Priest succeeded in casting Comet of Casandora between the Dragon Princes and the Spearmen. The Slann also tried to cast the spell, aiming to bring a comet down between the Sword Masters and White Lions but failed to cast.

High Elves – Turn 1

Start of Turn Phase

The Comet came down and was always going to hit the Dragon Princes and Spearmen as it was targeted between them. From 12 hits 7 Spearmen died causing the unit to flee 8”, while 2 Dragon Princes were killed from 7 hits and 4 wounds. Unlike the infantry, the Dragon Princes stayed put.

Movement

Both the Spearmen and Sword Masters rallied. [1]

The Great Eagle flew out in front of the hill while the Reavers moved across the front of the hill near them. The Dragon Princes on the right shuffled to the left.

Magic

The Banner of Sorcery coughed up 2 power dice – this was to be as generous as it would get for most of the game.

A stellar magic phase for the Archmage began with him failing to cast Dark Hand of Death at the nearby skinks. Wind of Death also cast at the Skinks was dispelled as was Doom and Darkness on the other unit of Skinks. It was left to the Archmage’s Ring of Fury to kill some Skinks from the nearest unit but the unit passed their Panic test.

Shooting

The Reavers shot at the nearest Skinks but only killed 1 while the crew of the Repeater Bolt Thrower on the hill behind them could only kill another 1.

Shooting across the battlefield the Repeater Bolt Thrower on the high hill loosed a bolt at the Temple guard but failed to hit. The Archers had more joy killing 4. Unfortunately for the High Elf plans the unit didn’t fail their panic test.

Lizardmen – Turn 2

Movement

The Cold One cavalry failed their Stupidity. The rest of the army, apart from the Terradons, moved up once more.

Magic

This turn the Skink Priest activated the Ward Save from the Engine.

The Slann cast Forked Lightning at the Sword Masters which was dispelled while a Comet from the Priest drew out a Dispel Scroll. Next the Slann cast Uranon’s Thunderbolt on the Sword Masters which succeeded, scoring 6 hits and 4 dead Sword Masters.

Shooting

The second unit of Skinks shot at the Raves but failed to score any hits. The other unit of Skinks shot at the Great Eagle and managed to put a wound on it. The Razordon attempted to shoot at the Dragon Princes on the hill but was just out of range.

High Elves – Turn 2

Movement

The Great Eagle charged the nearest Skinks and the Dragon Princes charged the Cold One cavalry.

Elsewhere the Reavers moved into the gap between the Temple Guard and the Kroxigor while the Dragon Princes shuffled left again. The Spearmen unit and Sword Masters both returned to their places in the battle line.

Magic

With the single Power Die provided by the Banner of Sorcery the Archmage started by casting Dark Hand of Death on the Saurus block which succeeded in killing 3. Doom and Darkness on the same unit failed while Wind of Death caused a Miscast [2] which fortunately didn’t wound the Archmage. Finally his Ring of Fury was dispelled.

Shooting

The Reavers shot at the Engine of the Gods, hoping to get lucky and get a wound on the Skink Chief but all shots went on the Stegadon but failed to wound it.

While they wanted to shoot the nearby Stegadon, the Kroxigor bearing down on them was the more immediate threat to the crew of the Bolt Thrower on the right hand hill. They took aim and shot one of the huge beasts down.

Seeing the Razordon as their biggest threat the Archers shot at it, managing to put 1 wound on the beast and kill all of its handlers. Unfortunately for the Archers the Razordon rolled Raaargh! and now had Frenzy and Hatred, with the Archers the nearest unit.

Finally the other Bolt Thrower shot at the Saurus block but missed.

Combat

The Great Eagle failed to score any hits on the puny Skinks who in return did the required wounds to kill the big bird off.

In the other combat the Dragon Prince managed to kill 3 of the Cold One cavalry while in response the Cavalry killed 1 Dragon Prince while the Scar Veteran killed another. Despite losing the mounted Saurus held.

Lizardmen – Turn 3

Movement

As expected the Kroxigor declared a charge on the Bolt Thrower on the right hand hill. The crew decided to hold. The Stegadon charged the Reavers who fled (please note – the flee angle for the Reavers may look a bit odd in the above picture – I must have messed up the earlier images somehow as the unit fled into a gap between the Skinks and the Saurus Warriors, so their final position here is almost correct even though the flee angle as shown most certainly isn’t). The Razordon, subject to Frenzy, charged into the Archers who stood and shot, putting another wound on the beast.

The rest of the army moved towards the enemy once more.

Magic

The Engine decreased the casting costs again although it didn’t help the Slann who failed to cast Forked Lightning on the Spearmen. He also tried casting Uranon’s Thunderbolt which was Dispelled.

Things got worse for the Slann as the Skink Priest showed him up by casting Second Sign of Amul, although he failed with Comet of Casandora.

Shooting

The Skinks shot at the Reavers and managed to kill 1 while the other unit shot at the White Lions, also killing 1.

Combat

The combat between the Kroxigor and the Bolt Thrower crew was a forgone conclusion while the Archers drew their combat with the Razordon.

Unfortunately for the Dragon Princes, their second round vulnerability came to the fore as with no strength bonus from the charge they could wound but not beat the 2+ Armour Save of the Cold One cavalry. It was almost a close-run thing however when the Princes saved the 2 wounds inflicted by the Saurus but the Scar Vet did the 1 wound that was enough to win the combat and send the Dragon Princes running only to be run down.

High Elves – Turn 3

Movement

The White Lions declared a charge at the Skinks who fled.

The Reavers fled through the Spearmen on their way to the edge of the board, fortunately not causing them to panic.

The remaining Dragon Princes and the Sword Masters started trying to manoeuvre for later charges.

Magic

Dark Hand of Death went off on the Saurus and scored 6 hits only for me to roll four 1s and two 2s to wound. Wind of Death failed to go off while, as did Steel Soul on the Razordon.

With so many failed castings the Slann and Skink Priest were able to easily dispel the Ring of Fury.

Shooting

The sole bit of shooting was the remaining Bolt Thrower which shot at the Saurus Cavalry, scoring a hit and skewering the Scar Vet who was exposed on the flank of the unit. The bolt failed to wound the remaining Saurus Cavalry and the unit passed their panic test.

Combat

I haven’t jotted anything down for combat this turn. Either that means both the Razordon and Archers failed to do anything or we forgot to fight it.

Lizardmen – Turn 4

Movement

The Kroxigor charged the Reavers who fled off the table.

The fleeing Skinks carried on running back into the Lustrian deployment zone.

Both the Skinks and the Engine of the Gods moved up onto the hill while the Saurus and Temple Guard moved towards the Elven units. The Cold One cavalry moved up onto the high hill while the Terradons finally came out from behind the woods.

Magic

Attempting to annihilate the Spearmen the Slann cast Forked Lightning only for it to be dispelled. The Skink Priest attempted to cast Comet of Casandora but failed. The Slann succeeded in casting Comet on a spot between the White Lions and Sword Masters. [3]

Shooting

The Skinks shot at the Spearmen, killing 1.

Combat

Roaring, snarling and sending globs of vile spittle everywhere the Razordon was surprised as the Archers managed to piece its body and send it off to meet the Old Ones.

High Elves – Turn 4

Movement

With the Lizardmen advancing on their position the High Elf infantry decided that now was the time to act with the Sword Masters charging the Saurus and the Spearmen charging the Temple Guard. The Sword Masters were joined in their charge by the remaining Dragon Princes.

The White Lions wheeled slightly to face the Terradons.

Magic

Another disappointing magic phase from the Archmage. His Ring of Fury was dispelled, Doom and Darkness on the Saurus failed as did Wind of Death on the Skinks. Dark Hand of Doom on the Terradons was also dispelled.

Shooting

The Repeater Bolt Thrower crew calmly took aim at the Saurus Cavalry and dispatched one of those remaining with a bolt. The final Saurus pulled his Cold One round and fled for the board edge.

On the lower step of the hill the Archers loosed at the Terradons scoring 4 wounds. With 1 armour save made that left 1 unharmed and the other on a single wound.

Combat

The Dragon Princes and Sword Masters smashed into the Saurus. The Princes scored 2 hits which converted into 2 dead Saurus. Despite their extra numbers the Sword Masters could only do 2 wounds as well but these were deflected by the Scaly Skin of the Saurus and the Elven Steeds failed to get through as well. With 3 Lizardmen attacking back 1 Sword Master was felled and the Lustrians won combat while the Dragon Princes held the Sword Masters fled.

In the other combat the Elven Noble killed 2 Temple Guard, although the Spearmen failed to get past the armour. In reply the Temple Guard killed 2 Spearmen. The combat would have been drawn but for the musician in the Spearmen’s ranks. However, the Temple Guard held.

Lizardmen – Turn 5

Movement

The lumbering mass of the Engine of the Gods, and the rather more insubstantial mass of the remaining Skinks from the right hand side of the battlefield charged into the flank of the Spearmen.

The other unit of Skinks rallied while the last member of the Cold One cavalry fled off the board.

With a chance to flap their wings at last the Terradons flew over the hill, dropping rocks on the Archers as they did so, killing 1. The Kroxigor moved a bit towards the action.

Magic

With an ominous hum the Engine discharged its energy scoring 5 hits and fatal wounds on the Dragon Princes but only a single hit on the Spearmen with no wounds.

The Slann attempted to cast Portent of Far but failed while the Skink Priest succeeded in casting the same spell. The Slann managed to raise the energy to cast a Comet but the Archmage was equal to the task of stopping it.

Combat

Impact hits from the Ancient Stegadon carrying the Engine of the Gods killed 7 Spearmen. The Noble could only inflict 1 wound on the Temple Guard and this was saved while the Spearmen who could strike did nothing.

The Stegadon caused another 2 wounds with its attacks and the Temple Guard matched it.

Needing Insane Courage for the Spearmen to stick around I managed to roll a 3. Unfortunately the re-roll was a lot worse and the Noble was running for the board edge, being pursued by the Skinks.

High Elves – Turn 5

Movement

Both the Sword Masters and the Noble rallied while the remaining Archers wheeled slightly to get a better view of the battlefield. The White Lions turned to the right and then changed formation so they were facing the Saurus block.

Magic

Wind of Death was again dispelled while Dark Hand of Death went off with Irresistible Force on the Engine – only to score no wounds whatsoever. Steel Soul on one of the Saurus succeeded, taking the Archmage up to 4 wounds.

Finally the Ring of Fury lashed the Engine of the Gods, scoring 2 hits on the Priest and taking a wound from him. A member of the Skink crew was also killed but the 3 hits on the Stegadon itself failed to wound.

Shooting

The Bolt Thrower fired a volley at the Terradons, scoring the 3 hits and wounds needed to wipe them out.

Despite having moved that turn the Archers still managed to score hits with half their shots at the Saurus but the single wound caused glanced off the scaly skin.

Lizardmen – Turn 6

Movement

The smaller surviving unit of Skinks and the Kroxigor charged the Noble who elected to stand and die rather than flee of the table like a cowardly custard.

The other Lizardmen units turned to face the remaining High Elf units.

Magic

Again the casting value for spells was decreased by 1. This didn’t help the Skink Priest who failed to cast a Comet. The Slann’s attempt to cast Forked Lightning was dispelled and then the Slann miscast when trying to cast Comet. Unfortunately for High Elf morale the battlefield wasn’t instantly covered in the frog’s legs (and other body parts) but the Slann did take a wound.

Shooting

The Skinks fired single shots from their blowpipes at the White Lions scoring 2 poisoned hits but they weren’t enough to get through the thick pelts worn by the Elves.

Combat

The Noble put all his attacks into the Kroxigor but only managed to put 2 wounds on them. In response the big beasts put 2 fatal wounds on him.

High Elves – Turn 6

Movement

The Sword Masters were determined to get revenge on the Saurus and charged t hem while the Archmage moved out of the White Lions to the space part way between the Saurus and the Engine of the Gods.

Magic

Finally the Banner of Sorcery delivered 3 Power Dice for the Archmage to use.

Having moved out of his protecting unit to try and get as many Lizardmen as possible within range of Wind of Death he then went and miscast, ending the magic phase and losing the wound he had gained earlier.

Shooting

The Repeater Bolt Thrower took a shot at the Engine of the Gods but only hit the crew and failed to wound. The Archers also fancied a cheeky shot at the Engine but only managed a hit on the Stegadon which failed to wound.

Combat

With blades flashing through the air the Sword Masters felled two of the Saurus while the Saurus killed 1 Sword Master in return. The Sword Masters lost the combat but with the General nearby

Notes

[1] Another in the frequent “not sure if we played this right” list here. I wasn’t going to try and rally the Spearmen but Nick couldn’t see any reason why I couldn’t and neither could I when I read the rulebook. The wording for Comet says “at the start of each player’s turn” so presumably that means the Start of Turn phase, and as that comes before the Movement phase then the Spearmen should therefore get the chance to rally.

[2] It wasn’t until I started writing this report that I realised that in subsequent turns I forgot about the effects of this miscast and so was still using Wind of Death and still generating 4 Power Dice. Fortunately I don’t think I actually succeeded in casting it again during the game, so in the end I was only wasting a Power Dice a turn, although I think Nick did have to use a couple of Dispel dice one turn to stop it going off.

[3] Oops! number 2 of this battle - It wasn’t until we were finishing my turn 4 that I realised I’d picked up the dice we were using as a marker thinking it was one of the dice we’d rolled that turn. Moral of this story is, get some proper markers rather than using dice.

[4] When studying the pictures I took through the battle I noticed that I’d fielded 12 Sword Masters, not the 10 I’d paid for. I must have put the two spare men from the tray into my army box by mistake when I was packing things the night before.

Conclusion

Well this was a loss – it worked out as a 700 point win to Nick when we totted up Victory Points – but at least it wasn’t a complete annihilation like the last time.

Unfortunately, the positive of that is still nullified by the fact that I still struggled to deal with the tough Saurus blocks and the Stegadon – even with having accidentally taken 2 more Sword Masters than I’d paid for and finding out as I was preparing this report that Nick had actually got about 30 points free in his list (or had forgotten to note down something he’d paid for in his army list).

I think the main thing I struggled to deal was the high speed of parts of the army with Skinks, Kroxigor and Stegadon able to steam forward and occupy my troops while the Saurus blocks catch up. I had thought about deploying back from the 12” deployment line to try and counter that but if I had I’d probably have lost both the Sword Masters and Spearmen in my first turn when the Comet of Casandora came down.

With that in mind, once the game had started I might still have been better off trying to minimise the damage by moving my forces to cluster round the large hill, making the bulk of the Lustrian army take longer to get to me. Of course, this would have had its own risks as it would only have taken a successful couple of Comets to go off to wipe out huge chunks of my units.

The positioning of my right hand Bolt Thrower in hindsight I’m thinking may have been a mistake. I’d hoped that splitting the Bolt Throwers would mean I’d be able to get a couple of turns of shooting on the Stegadon with at least one of them but then panicked when the Skinks started sprinting across the table and instead of shooting at the Stegadon or the advancing Kroxigor, instead I used the Bolt Thrower to try and clear some of the Skinks out of the way.

Possibly I made a mistake by deploying the Bolt Throwers first. As I was expecting the Skinks to get deployed first I was hoping that by putting down the Bolt Throwers and Archers first I’d get a better idea on where Nick was going to deploy and so be able to position my own units better.

Magic-wise I think Death was a good choice for this game, I just didn’t seem to have any luck with trying to cast, perhaps suggesting I should have just tried to cast 2 spells a turn using more dice, and then slapped down the Ring of Fury when Nick had hopefully used all his dice.

I’m not sure if a second Mage would have been much help – yes it would have been another Dispel die and one or more Power Dice but unless I was just using his dice to case the default spell I’d probably have ended up using the meagre offerings of the Banner of Sorcery to try and supplement his spellcasting efforts. I’d also have had to drop a unit to accommodate him.

In terms of how the list performed I’m reasonably pleased. I think the main problems with it come down to the muppet rolling the dice and making the decisions. Yes it’ll struggle against the big four armies, especially without a Star Dragon (really must get round to painting my dragon model), but then again most other armies do as well to a greater or lesser extent.

Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Thnk for posting the battle report, as always it is a great read with really useful pictures.

I liked both lists, it is nice to see army lists that don't contain special characters and star dragons.

The only think that I really thought about your game was that you seemed to get your White Lions put out of play, I think they would have done really well on the far right flank to hit the stegadon out of the woods. That and shooting the skinks instead of the engine, your bolt throwers were your best weapon against that firing single bolts for at least 2 turns, esp since he wasn't using the bubble.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Great report. Seems like you had a really good game.

As to your rules query about rallying, you wouldn't get a chance until your next turn. Under rally fleeing troops on page 19, it states that you can't rally units that have fled the same turn.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    As to your rules query about rallying, you wouldn't get a chance until your next turn. Under rally fleeing troops on page 19, it states that you can't rally units that have fled the same turn.
    Aha. They hid it in the first paragraph in that section which is mostly just describing the circumstances in which a unit might be fleeing which would be why I missed it.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say that losing to a Slann's magic phase is no shame. You did well, in fact, considering he was actually using the costing cast ability for the engine of the gods. The ring of fury was a good choice, but I would have started you magic phase with it. I like your idea of concentrating on casting a few spells instead of trying for lots of them. You should definitely try it, because if you can strengthen your magic phase then you'll do very well in your games, as it seems to be your weakest (or just unluckiest ) phase.

I love your reports. I just started playing High Elves and it's nice to "watch" someone else play it. Your battle reports are clear and useful. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only thing I was do differently with your chosen force and what wasn't already said (mainly about the bolt throwers) is with you magic if you are going to only try to get 2-3 spells off drop the silver wand and take the seerstaff or (due to points) drop the silver wand and take the jewel of the dusk. It will give ya one more die to throw at the spells you want to cast. Otherwise stick with it. I regularly play against a Lizard army and to counter his stegs (mainly he takes an engine and a chief with the war spear) I have had to go with 3 bolt throwers, a level 2 mage with seerstaff and take beasts cowers to prevent the cheif from moving (or try to) and then try to shoot them to peices (curse of arrow attraction works well for this) I am surprised that his terrordons didn't come out and play earlier. Also I have found archers to be wonderful at killing skinks. Even skirmishing ones you will hit them on usually 5's wound on 3's and I regularly wipe them out with a unit of 10 archers. Kepp up the good work. Loved the report
    Last edited by Ulanth; April 9th, 2010 at 15:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulanth View Post
    the only thing I was do differently with your chosen force and what wasn't already said (mainly about the bolt throwers) is with you magic if you are going to only try to get 2-3 spells off drop the silver wand and take the seerstaff or (due to points) drop the silver wand and take the jewel of the dusk. It will give ya one more die to throw at the spells you want to cast. Otherwise stick with it.
    Originally when I was writing this list I had the Seerstaff but dropped it for the Silver Wand to use the points elsewhere as while I'm probably going to just try and get 2 spells off per turn in future (plus the ring) I like the fact that the Silver Wand gets me 5 spells and so gives me more choice of what I can use each turn, especially seeing as I'm only running the one mage. Getting at least 1 extra PD from the Banner of Sorcery means I should normally have a minimum of 7 dice per turn which is 3 dice per spell or 4 if it's a high casting cost. Depending on the situation the 7th die might be used for a lower casting cost spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulanth View Post
    I am surprised that his terrordons didn't come out and play earlier.
    That caught me too and was why I was a bit cautious moving the White Lions as I was wanting to get them up and into the Saurus block once my Arch Mage had left the unit.With the Terradons still hiding behind the woods I couldn't really risk them popping out and then being able to drop rocks on my Arch Mage when he exited the unit. I don't know if that was a deliberate ploy by Nick or if he just forgot to move them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Very informative report !! I am glad to see that you analyze each battle once it is complete to improve your army for the next battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWarrior2010 View Post
    Very informative report !! I am glad to see that you analyze each battle once it is complete to improve your army for the next battle.

Thanks. It's just a shame I always forget the tactical insights I gain from doing these reports...

+ Reply to Thread