High Elves Battles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

High Elves Battles

I am going to try and keep this as an ongoing thread updating with my games when i remember, I will put in pictures when I have time and hopefully keep it reasonably up to date.

I will start with reasonably brief overviews of my first 2 games, learning the rules.

Game 1
    Dwarves 1000 Points
    Pitched Battle

HE
    L2 Shadow Mage Jewel of Dusk (Toughness Hex and Base spell)
    20 Lothern Seagaurd (+1 Leadership banner)
    18 White Lions (+1 Movement banner)
    Tiranoc Chariot
    Repeater Bolt Thrower
    Eagle

Dwarves
    BSB
    Runesmith
    40 Warriors w/ Shields (in a horde)
    10 Quarrellers
    10 Handgunners
    2 Grudge Throwers
    1 Bolt Thrower

Terrain, I don't really remember but there was a biggish forest in the middle, a sphinx and a few khemrian bogs and a building that gave my bolt thrower regeneration.

This game was pretty straight forward really, White Lions headed down one side of the forest with the eagle to get rid of the warmachines and Quarrellers, took a couple of Stone throwers on the way but got there with 9 left and destroyed the Quarrellers and a grudge thrower in turn 2, 2nd Grudge thrower in turn 3 and Bolt Thrower in turn 3. While they moved one way the Dwarf Warriors went the other side and got shot and magiced at by the seagaurd, killed 9 (Toughness 1) dwarves in one round of shooting. Turn 5 I charged the warrior block in the flank with the chariot (which was wounded) and in the front with the Seagaurd and failed a long range rear charge with the White Lions. They chariot fluffed badly (no wounds at all) and was killed by the 3 dwarf attacks back, the seagaurd wounded a couple but got slaughtered in return. I fled but got away then rallied and slowed the dwarves down with magic so they didn't charge in turn 6.

End of the game was a crushing victory to High Elves 350 odd to 135. We learned that victory points are very hard to come by outside of combat.

Game 2
    Dark Elves 1000 pts
    Pitched Battle

I had the same list

DE
    Dark Sorceress Sacrificial Dagger (Spell 1 and 2)
    15 Warriors Champion
    15 Witch Elves Command
    10 Repeater XBows
    10 Repeater XBows
    5 Dark Riders
    Hydra

My mage had the same spells again.

Terrain
    Had even less impact than vs the dwarves but there was a statue that shot lasers out its eyes in the middle left of the battle field.

I deployed centrally hoping that I could outshoot him and then charge at the crucial points. I also expect the statue to funnel him to me and hopefully the seagurd could force units within 6" when in combat with them.

Turn 1 was uneventful except for his Dark Riders panicing the armies closed with each other.

Turn 2 I charged his spears + mage with the White Lions, Challenged, and killed 10 with my 13 attacks they broke and I pursued into the Witch Elves and out of sight of the Hydra. Unwounded Hydra went and breathed fire into the Seagaurd killing 14, leaving the command + the mage alive, they didn't run and marched up to beside him so he couldn't see them to charge. White Lions did 12 wounds from 13 attacks (amazing as they had no re-rolls this time) the only miss was from the Champion in his challenge. Beat and broke the Witch Elves but failed to run them down.

Turn 3 I charged one of his X-Bow units with my White Lions beat and broke them but didn't catch them either. Witch Elves failed to rally and fled off the board, X-Bows rallied but were then wiped out by White Lions. Mage was shot at by other (BS 1) X-Bow unit while the Seagaurd danced a deadly dance of reforming or marching to stay out of sight of the Hydra.

In the final turns I killed the last of his Dark Riders and lost my seagaurd and mage but won another crushing victory. He had only the Hydra alive by then.

Lessons learned, White Lions Rule but I have to wound the Hydra earlier in the game or its flame template is just way too vicious. Musician reform and no march-blocking is really mean when trying to kill the last few members of a unit with combat as they just get way too maneuvrable.

Hope you enjoyed those, any questions comments etc are welcome, 2 more battles should go up in the next couple of days.

Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Game 3
    Dark Elves 1500 points

This was the random deployment game (number 2) I don't remember the name.

Army Lists
    HE
    Life Archmage L4, +1 spell, Ethereal
    BSB Armour of Caledor and Gaurdian Phoenix
    Noble on an Eagle Reaver Bow, Dragon Armour, Lance and Enchanted Shield
    20 Seagaurd, Full Command Flaming Banner (Archmage)
    20 Spears, Full Command (BS
    5 Dragon Princes, Champion
    1 RBT
    Eagle

DE
    Cauldron BSB
    L2 Metal Sorceress
    21 Witch Elves
    20 Executioners
    20 Corsairs
    10 RxBows
    10 RxBows
    Hydra

I can't really remember the lists that well and I have forgotten the equipment things had. Terrain was huge in this game. On the right hand side was a Hill of Vaul (flaming attacks perfect for fighting with Dragon Armour and against Hydras) and down the middle were 2 large forests forcing my opponent toward the hill, nothing else had an impact really so I will leave it out.

I deployed first and cramped up in the corner rolling almost all 2 to 5. This was a bit of a pain but really was perfect the only thing I would have deployed differently would have been the Dragon Princes. He rolled all 1's for his deployment excpet for the Witchelves and the cauldron which rolled 5's. So he was extremely cramped and pushed up into the Hill.

Turn 1
    He did get the first turn but spent most of it spreading out and couldn't shoot as he marched or couldn't see. I respond by flying my noble up on the hill and shooting at his Hydra (failed to wound) and shot at some of his other units but failed to wound (he had glittering robes so really good armour).

Turn 2
    He continued to move forward, his WE moved into the forest and lost a couple of girls to something. Still not a great deal of shooting, but he turned some of my spearmen to gold. I shot his Hydra from the hill and wounded once, then put 3 more wounds on with the Bolt Thrower, Elected not to shoot at it with the Seagaurd and kiled a handful of executioners. (This was on decision nearly cost me the game).

Turn 3
    He charged the flank of my seagaurd with his Witch Elves and my spears with the Executioners and my BT with the Hydra. Hydra destroyed the BT crew (I was hoping for a lucky wound) it reformed to face Seagaurd. Witchelves massacred the Seagaurd in spite fo their 4+ regen, they broke and were run down. I stomped on his executioners, BSB won his challenge and did 2 overkill, spears did 14 wounds or something daft. Suffered few (maybe 2 or 3) casualties as they were T7 and he needed 5's to wound. He fled and was caught. I charged into his RxBows and killed them in my turn and shot the final wound of the Hydra with the Reaver Bow.

The order of the rest is a bit of a haze but I charged his Witch Elves flank with my Dragon Princes and carved them up but they were stubborn from the cauldron, they were then charged in the flank by the Corsairs + mage, they killed the mage but were dispatched by the rest of the 2 units. My spears killed the cauldron and at some point the only remaining RxBows were killed by the eagle and spears. My spears and Eagle noble charged the Corsairs, he fled and was caught.

He had 4 Witch Elves alive and I had BSB, Noble and Spears. So I won, but it would have been very close if he had stuck around to fight in the last combat especially as the BSB and spears failed to get there.

There were many lessons in this game for me, in brief they were
    -Flaming Reaver bows are the ultimate answer to regenerating guys.
    -Dragon armour on a hill of Vaul is hilarious
    -Charges are very easy, the Witch elves were 12" away from the seagaurd, but looked like they were 15or 16, in the old rules there would have been wheels and terrain and they would have had a 6" charge at most. Measure often, there was no need not to reform the seagaurd, facing the Witch Elves and getting some more ranks/ attacks and stand and shoot, would have won them the combat and me the game without any need for the enemies bad decisions.
    -Lore of Life has insanely short range.
    -Order of charge declaration matters.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Would like a little more detail about the games, the DE game was a much better read. I always try to do pictures or notes when doing a battle report, because it's so easy to forget things.

Keep it up, we need more reports!
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Yeah I will try and put in some pictures and stuff, because as they are it's almost painful to read. I decided to do this just so that I could keep track of what I am learning in 8th ed, mostly for myself. The games that I have put up were played 3 weeks ago so the details are very sketchy, normally I will fill them in better.

I have another dwarf one to go up when I get time to write it.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I'm doing the same, so understandable. Pictures aren't necessary but they help, of course you can use one of the battlefield emulators like Vassal or Battle Chronicler if you feel like putting some time into visual aids.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread