[picture insanity] The bearded one's dwarfs vs lizardmen, 2500 pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

[picture insanity] The bearded one's dwarfs vs lizardmen, 2500 pts

Greeting y'all. I think this is the first time I have ever posted a fantasy battle report ever, anywhere. So the first time has to be a good one! Be warned, your adventure will be filled with dozens of pictures, breaking the borders of common size decency!

This is a 2500 pts game against a friendly player's lizardmen. A very nice army, finally a person who tries lizzies without slann temple bunker, and from what I have seen simply enjoyable to play against while not crippeling itself. I do not have his full list but this is roughly what I know:
    Old blood
    carnosaur
    piranha blade
    blood statuette of spite
    light armour
    a 1+ save, possibly due to enchanted shield

lvl 2 skink priest
    lore of heavens: Iceshard Blizzard, Harmonic convergence

Skink chieftain, stegadon warspear, blowpipe
    riding a young stegadon

4 x 12 skink skirmishers with blowpipes ( yes, 48 skink skirmishers! )

15 saurus with handweapons
    full command

18 saurus with spears
    full command

3 terradons

3 kroxigors

5 chameleon skinks

2 salamanders

ancient stegadon

giant blowpipes

And here is my list. It's my standard all-comers list:
    King Ferrun Ironhand
    Dwarf lord

• Great weapon
    • Shieldbearers
    • Master rune of spite
    • Rune of Stone
    • Master rune of steel
    • Rune of resistance
    301 pts

Godri Thunderhammer
    Thane

• Battle standard
    • Master rune of gromril
    • Rune of cleaving
    • Rune of might
    160 pts

Skalf Swiftaxe
    Thane

• Rune of fury
    • Rune of snorri spangelhelm
    • Rune of cleaving
    • Rune of Stone
    • Pistol
    • Shield
    147 pts

Thorrin Dragonforge
    Runesmith

• Rune of spellbreaking
    • Master rune of balance
    • Shield
    147 pts

Core:
    24 Dwarf warriors
    • Shields
    • Full command 241 pts

20 Longbeards
    • Shields
    • Full command
    • Rune of determination
    • Rune of battle 310 pts

10 thunderers
    • Shields 150 pts

10 quarrelers
    • Shields 120 pts

Special:
    Bolt thrower
    • Engineer
    • Brace of pistols 65 pts

Cannon
    • Rune of forging
    • Rune of burning
    • Engineer 145 pts

23 Hammerers
    • Shields
    • Full command
    • Master rune of grungni 379 pts

15 Miners
    • Full command
    • Steam drill 215 pts

Rare:
    Organ gun
    120 pts

2500 pts
    An overview while setting up:

We are playing the battleline scenario, and while I won the roll to go first ( and I would usually take first turn to shoot some more ) I decided to let the lizardmen go first. We had more than enough time for one long and complete battle and to get to turn 6 where I could use that last turn to take some points.

The skink priest has Iceshard blizzard and harmonic convergence. Not the best spells really, but then again heavens has never been a good lore. At least it's better than the 7th edition one.

My deployment. The middle, and right flank. From below to above: Warriors with runesmith and BSB, hammerers with lord, organ gun, quarrelers, thunderers in the building.

And here my left flank ( bolt thrower in the corner, longbeards on the hill next to the building with thunderers ) , and an overview of the lizardmen. On the picture it's noted where what is. The skink chieftain with stegadon warspear is on the stegadon next to the carnosaur. The skink priest is hanging around the kroxigors ( forgot to mention him on the picture )

Lizardmen, turn 1. Initial advance.
    The lizardmen advance on all sides, and the terradons, after their vanguard, drop rocks on the longbeards. Failing almost all saves, 4 longbeards die.
    Magic is uneventful, because the winds of magic roll double 1, of which I steal a dice with the master rune of balance The salamanders manage to eat 2 skinks, and fire only a few inches.

The chameleons ( they're so sneaky I did not have them on the overview picture ) threaten the cannon. I feared for "old bella's" safety, but their darts only kill a single crewmember.

Dwarfs, turn 1. Marching forth
    It's time to settle things on the edge of an axe! The hammerers and warriors stalwartly march forward, and the longbeards shuffle into the range of the master rune of grungni. There's no sense in leaving such protection when there are 36 skinks with blowpipes only a move away!

The cannon has proven it's worth with all the D6 wounds glory it can muster! A single shot, hoping to weaken the stegadon, manages to bring down the entire beast with crew and all by doing 6 wounds! Bones and flesh shatter as the stegadon collapses and it's crew and howdah are torn asunder. In a display of elegant acrobatics the skink chieftain manages to jump off the dying beast and avoid being crushed.

The shooting phase sees the chameleons turned into a streak of blood on the virgin snow as the organ gun turns around and promptly rolls 10 shots. It might be overkill, but certainly is effective. The thunderers manage to pick off a few saurus and the quarrelers and bolt thrower, pretty much as predicted, fail miserably.
    end of the turn:

Lizardmen, turn 2. It's raining darts!.
    Skinks and saurus move into position. 24 skinks surround the bolt thrower, while the skink chieftain joins some other skinks. Skinks and the ancient stegadon swoop around the right flank, and the lizardmen centre marches forward with the salamanders in front.

The magic phase is without merit as yet again the winds of magic do not reward the old one's favored servant, and the skink priest fails to cast anything.
    The shooting phase starts with a hail of darts descending on the bolt thrower, poisoning the crew nearly twice over. Grungni over their weapon and Valaya over their souls.
    The warriors seem to be in for a painful barrage but miraculously manage to survive the hit from a salamanders template with only one death.

Dwarfs, turn 2. Charge!
    A good turn in which I manage to get off a charge and the miners show. The other units move into position and shooting goes rather well.
    The warriors charge the salamanders, grargh!

Meanwhile the miners show up behind

In the shooting phase my organ gun kills all 3 terradons, and the cannon, proving it's worth for the final time, bring down the ancient stegadon to a single wound!
    The combat phase, despite some crappy saverolling ( I failed them all and 3 warriors died ) I managed to scare away the salamanders and overrun into the saurus behind them.

Lizardmen, turn 3. Close and personal
    The saurus and carnosaur charge my hammerers, however the carnosaur rolls abominaly low and fails the charge, moving a mere 3 inches. The salamanders fail to rally and keep fleeing. Kroxigors reform to look at my arrived miners. The skinks move up the hill and on the right flank the stegadon and skinks move closer within shooting range. The skink priest finally gets a spell of and succesfully casts harmonic convergence on the saurus in combat with warriors, which I fail to dispell.

The shooting phase strikes a great blow against me, with the demise of both the organ gun and the cannon by dozens of poinsonous darts! Such a fiendish act will surely be punished before the night falls!

The combat phase favours me more, with the hammerers soundly beating their saurus opponents, and the warriors defeating theirs. The saurus facing the hammerers flee, but the other ones hold. I restrain the hammerers and reform them, facing skinks and behind that the carnosaur.

Dwarfs, turn 3. They came from below...with pickaxes and steamdrills!
    Some well placed manoeuvres and lucky rolls get me into combat. My miners, who came up a turn ago, charge the salamanders, who are still fleeing so automatically have to declare a flee reaction. Because they declare a flee reaction my miners can choose to redirect their charge. I pass the required ld test, and declare a fresh charge on the kroxigors, which I narrowly manage to make.

On the other side my hammerers, who had restrained from pursuing the saurus, charge into the helpless skinks ( with the skink chieftain ) and the skinks choose to hold. My longbeards swiftly reform and move the other way to try and take down the wounded ancient stegadon. The quarrelers also reform to face the stegadon.

In combat my hammerers kill a score of skinks. The skink chieftain challenges, and the challenge is accepted by the hammerer champion hoping to claim the underdog VP bonus. The champion survives the skink's attacks, but only does 1 in return. Close but no sigar. Regardless, the skinks are beaten and run down.

On the other side the warriors beat the saurus again, but they hold.

The miners on the other hand are very succesfull and kill 2 kroxigors, suffering 3 casualties to their great weapons and another one gets kicked in the face by the single stomp. The lone kroxigor breaks and flees, and runs to the other side of the building while the miners fail to catch him.

Last edited by The bearded one; October 16th, 2010 at 15:56.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Lizardmen, turn 4. Monsters!
    Not to be outdone, the lizardmen declare a charge with the carnosaur on the hammerers, and the stegadon charges the quarrelers. The carnosaurs makes the charge, but the stegadon makes a failed charge. The declared stand&shoot also fails to take off the final wound.

A little mistake on this picture. The carnosaur charges the hammerers, not the other way around.

Harmonic convergence is cast with irresistible force on the saurus and the skink priest takes a wound from the miscast.

In a unprecedented storm of poisonous darts, 7 quarrelers fall to the ground, wracked with deadly spasms before their breath gives out. Undounted however by the death surrounding them, the remaining 3 quarrelers do not panic.

The leader of the lizardmen host meets king ferrun ironhand. Undaunted by the fierce carnosaur, the dwarven king issues a challenge to the beast which the oldblood can ill-afford to refuse at this point. The king survives without injury and inflicts a single wound on the oldblood.

Confronted by a seemingly invulnerable dwarf, surrounded by over 20 loyal bodyguards, the oldblood wisely chooses to flee, and the dwarfs follow him with glee. The saurus fighting the dwarven warriors finally turn tail and flee, after a grinding battle taking several turns.

Dwarfs, turn 4. Take down these beasties!
    The warriors pursuing the saurus charge and overrun them and celebrate, only to realise they are half a mile from the rest of the battle.

The hammerers charge the fleeing carnosaur but fail to catch him ( we did something weird here, apparently I charged through a building? ) The miners reform to move towards the battle.

The last 3 quarrelers try to take a shot at the ancient stegadon, which still stands defiantly below the hill. With trembling fingers they appear to fire their crossbows, as only 1 bolt manages to hit it's mark on the snorting beast.

However the bolt hits a vital part on the tired, wounded stegadon, rolling a 6 to wound. Howdah nor scaly skin saves him from the bolt piercing his flesh and the stegadon expires, to the dismay of the surrounding skinks ( and the ones riding it of course )

Lizardmen, turn 5. Avenging the stegadon
    The carnosaur rallies on the edge of the battlefield to face the hammerers. Skinks, salamanders and remaining saurus close on the hill where the longbeards, quarrelers and thunderers remain and unleash their missiles.

The quarrelers are killed and a couple of longbeards are taken down by poisoned dart and biting acid. 2 thunderers die as well, as acid comes through the windows.

Dwarfs, turn 5. Once more unto the breach dear friends!
    The warriors and miners hasten to the hill, and the hammerers take on the carnosaur another time. The saurus lord and dwarven king battle it out once again in a duel

The shooting phase sees my thunderers avenging their fallen quarreler brethren and take the lives of 7 skinks, an impressive feat with only 8 thunderers.

In combat my lord once again survives the withering blows of the oldblood and carnosaur due to his impressive runic armour, but does no wounds in return. The old blood holds, on the very edge of the field, determined not to fall off the brink before this battle is over.

Lizardmen, turn 6. Going out with a bang
    Well, proverbial bang. At this point the field was getting empty, and dwarven units were spread out over the board, with the hammerers having travelled almost the length of the board, from right to left. The saurus charge the longbeards, the lone kroxigor makes a failed charge on the longbeards and the carnosaur keeps fighting it out.

The skink priest aids the saurus by casting harmonic convergence, and battle is joined.

The saurus lose, but hold. King Ferrun ironhand slays the old blood with a lucky set of strikes with his great axe, but the carnosaur stands it's ground and becomes unbreakable!

The dwarven units have almost reached the hill again.

Dwarf, turn 6. Failing to get Vp on 4 different occasions.

The battle was pretty much decided, all that was left to do was trying to clean up as many as possible for the VP. The miners, industrious little fellows, charge the salamander.

The dwarf king tries, but fails to kill the carnosaur, denying himself valuable VPs.
    The thunderers fire a blistering volley of shots at the lone kroxigor, that failed to charge the longbeards the previous turn. Their shots are poor and the kroxigor survives with 2 wounds left.
    The skink priest with a single wound left was not targetted at all and survives the battle, as do two skink units with both around 4 models left.
    The miners that charged the salamander win the combat by a fair margin, but the salamander rolls insane courage with only a single wound and handler remaining.

The longbeards are succesfull however, and destroy the remaining saurus.

it was a fun battle to play. Admittedly I was lucky at points, for example when shooting at both stegadons and when my organ gun kill the chameleons and terradons, not to mention the quarrelers bolt that kill the ancient stegadon, but overall I think I managed to set the scene in such a way that my units had the distinct advantage. I decided that the warriors and miners ought to handle the saurus and kroxigors, so my elite units could do their job on the left, fighting the other saurs and carnosaur.

The bolt thrower is a bit of a shame, but he is only 60 points anyway and I often deploy him in a corner in "if you want those 60 pts, come and get him" kind of way.

My opponent went for my warmachines pretty effectively and I had lost all 3 in his third turn due to poison. I managed to best his units in combat though. Overall I found it an enjoyable game, I hope he did, and I hope you did too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abosolutly love the in picture commentary!!!!
    Good list although ,personally, I would have taken organ gun instead of cannon and tried to increase size of units. What I would have dropped |I couldnt say!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

I had both an organ gun and a cannon I find cannons with runes of burning to be really usefull, they are great for killing monsters, taking a few models or wounds off monstrous infantry/cavalry/beasts, killing chariots, enemy warmachines, lone characters etc. I find the quarrelers to be a bit of a 'weak link'. They are nice, but have low BS so won't kill all that much. They are handy though, and in general I like to keep them in the list instead of expanding units. I am fairly combat heavy for a dwarf list as it is, with 4 sizeable combat units and 3 combat characters.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Nice report, though against a fairly weak lizardman list. Love the terrain you have.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

It's all from the GW. People might critisise GW's shops but we on the other hand find it a great place to play with a variety of gamers on nice battlefields, where we can borrow a few models if necessary.

Admittedly the saurus units are a tad small, but it's down to bad luck that neither of those stegadons got into combat. Had my cannon not done 6 wounds on the steg in my first turn, it could've gotten a charge off.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Dwarf lord: "Eat this!"
    Carnosaur: "nom nom nom!"

hehehe, Very nice report
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Nicely done, both battle and battle-report wise. (For a dwarf, anyway )
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post
    Nicely done, both battle and battle-report wise. (For a dwarf, anyway )
    Oi, what's that supposed to mean elfling?

At least it wasn't a gunline, but a dedicated combat list with over 85 close combat models and a mere 20 missiletroops and a paltry 3 warmachines, one of which a cheap bolt thrower. I find it a lot more fun to settle the fight in close combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can the rune of determination be taken by more than one unit in the army? noob here! .
    great battle report though,very enjoyable.What warhammer is about,having fun and dwarfs coming out on top haha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast