Captain's Campaign Log - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Captain's Campaign Log

The regulars at my local gaming store have decided to put together a campaign. One of the players wrote it up, and now the whole lot of us have gotten involved. True to form, I've decided to go with beloved Warriors for my army. The campaign will be run on Wednesday nights during the WHFB Open-Gaming. There's still plenty of room for one-off gaming, but almost all of the regulars (and a few new faces) have signed on to participate in the map based campaign. I've decided that I'll keep a nice, fluffy report of goings on, here in a log for anyone interested.

Now, I won't bore you with the rules, there are several and I hardly agree with all of them (this is the first campaign this person has organized, compared to my having organized several- but alas, it was his idea, so I had no say). Here are the ones that matter:
    - Each player gets 1 "banner army" of 2,500pts. This army represents them on the map and is the only army allowed to have Lord choices.
    - Most Banner armies move 3 hexes/turn. Elves move 4, Dwarfs move 2. Mountains, Rivers, Forests all count double, except for Undead (who force march) and relevent armies (Dwarfs suffer no penalty through mountains, for example)
    - Each player gains 400pts of reinforcements per turn, to replace lost models from battle.
    - Each player starts with 1 capital, garrisoned by 3,000pts with no Lords. If your Capital is lost, you gain no reinforcements.
    - Players may capture features to gain extra reinforcements, Towns +5%, Mines +3% and Farms which decrease the cost of Troops by 5%
    - Captured Towns are guarded by 1500pt garrisons.
    - Players may build Fortresses, garrisoned by 2500pts. They have a zone of control, increasing 1 zone per turn for 3 turns. The army may sally out to attack any enemy within it's zone of control. Garrisons (towns and forts) never need to be reinforced.
    - Chaos Rifts are held by 1500pts of neutral Daemons. If you beat this force you may close the gate, or exit the hex at another rift tile.
    - If your Lord falls in battle, and you subsequently lose, he is captured. If you Draw, he is recovered on a 5-6. You have 3 turns to defeat the army which has captured your Lord, or you lose the game.
    - Your general and units gain experience. The general's experience grants abilities that benefit the whole army, your units gain abilities to help in battle. The general starts the campaign with 1 first level ability.
    Well, that's everything that really matters. The special rules for Chaos Warriors are:
    1 free EotG roll for the general at the start of the battle, I got +1A
    Must declare allegiance to a god, I chose Tzeentch for +100 reinforcement points (as he transmutes lesser metals into gold)
    My general's ability grants me +1 movement, making me speed 4.
    Warriors do not Farm, farms are useless to me.
    And here's my Army: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1851993 (2500pt Tzeentch Campaign Army)

Deployment - the map is loosely based on a map of the Empire. We all chose the locations of our starting cities blind. My friend is playing as Lizardmen, and we've decided to make an alliance (I know, against fluff, but whatever- WE teamed with Beastmen) to avoid taking each other out of the game. Everyone else picked locations near towns, or hidden away behind mountains or forests. The Lizards and I had a plan to "hide in plain sight" by picking less desirable terrain, thereby guaranteeing that we wouldn't start on top of someone. It worked. Mostly. We deployed at the foot of the World's Edge mountains on the East side of the map (Dwarfs deployed in a bowl of mountains far to the South). There are 3 towns and 2 mines nearby.
    One other player placed their army to the North West of us, a Vampire Count player. The next closest army is Wood Elves, who already have opponents nearby to deal with. Two Chaos Rifts opened up to the NorthWest, and SouthWest of our capitals. Unlike the other players, our Capitals are far from the rifts, meaning that we have plenty of warning time if someone comes out of those rifts, whereas our opponents have little to no warning of armies coming out of rifts near their capitals.

Army Background
    Azyryl surveyed the wreckage of the burning town. The Blood Hunters were still dispersed, rounding up the civilians and hounding out any survivors of the garrison that had held the village just hours before.
    As he watched a Warrior methodically lopping heads off of the captives in the town square, he thought back to how he had come to this land of weaklings.
    He had heard it. The trumpet calls of the Dark Gods, in the shrill cries of the crows that circled his childhood home. Returning from a winter fishing expedition, his longboat washed ashore among the broken bodies of his tribesmen. The Queen of Kislev had organized another Pugh, a massive army sent into the North to clear out those barbarians who dared make their camps to close to her ever-changing borders. Those Northmen who moved South to more fertile lands, away from the biting cold and fierce trolls of the North, were the first to invoke the Ice-Queen’s wrath. There would be blood for this trangression, they had attacked an unarmed village, of women, and children. His tribekin had tried to put up a fight – frozen corpses of Kislevite soldiers were strewn through the town. The tribe had fought well, died well. But it had not been enough- enough to save them, or enough to avenge their deaths.
    Many of Azyryl’s men heard the voice of Tzeentch, master of fates however cruel, in the calls of the carrion birds overhead, although Azyryl heard the cacophony of the gods themselves. His standard bearer, Sarakyl was among those pledged to Tzeentch. Others saw the work of Khorne in the carnage, the blood spattered yurts and frozen bodies. The brothers Kokabyl and Turyl both turned to Khorne, forming the men up into the Blood Hunters. All of the men took up weapons, and began their journey of vengeance. They pledged a thousand slaves and a thousand thousand souls to the Chaos Dwarfs and the Dark Gods, in return for their armor and weapons. A decade later, and they were on the path to revenge, carving a swath through Kislev and arriving in the Empire as Warriors of Chaos.

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; August 25th, 2011 at 05:35.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

I read this thread and your army thread and I really look forward to seeing how this plays out. It seems very ambitious an undertaking but could end up being alot of fun. I'm a little cautious though about WoC heroes getting additional bonuses beyond what we already give them/what they have.
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Turns 1-4

we played through 4 turns of the campaign. Most of us are too far from each other to start fighting just yet, but we stopped moving armies when two separate battles broke out. So this is my portion of the log for turns 1-4, with an overview of the rest of the campaign
    Azyryl watched as Kokabyl rode up the hillside, morning rain steaming off of his hulking juggernaut steed.
    "The village is secure lord, but with only a town militia to offer to the gods."
    "What about their kin?" Azyryl nodded in the direction of the curling smoke.
    "Butchered, already heaped in the town square to make up for the lack of fitting foes."
    Azyryl nodded, this was not enough. "Walk with me" he said to the Exalted Champion. The other man nodded, dismounting from the Juggernaut and clattering to the ground. The two men turned and walked down the reverse slope of the hill. The Warriors were erecting earthen barricades near their yurts, fortifying the area, lest the nearby Lizardmen attempt to breach their shaky alliance.
    "The men are working hard, but we should be fighting, not cowering in a ditch" Kokabyl spat, "there is blood to be spilled."
    "But not ours, and this is keeping the men busy until we can get our bearings in this pitiful Empire. And this is not what I wanted to show you."

Cresting the next hill, Kokabyl was dazzled by a light like the sunrise. Raising a gauntleted hand, he squinted into the glow. In the middle he could see it, a roaring maelstrom of raw power tearing through the fabric of the world itself, if he listened, he could hear the maw roaring, and screams and voices from the worlds beyond. "Is this your trickery Azyryl?"
    The Sorcerer glowered at his champion for the remark, "No, unfortunately, this is beyond my powers."
    "Then what is it?"
    "A warp rift, there is another a few leagues away, to the North. I would expect that they're linked, but what foul wardens we would find within is beyond my reckoning. However, if we traveled through them, we could shave days from our march."
    Kokabyl looked away from the roaring mouth of Chaos. "We've been marching South and West for five years. Why would we want to march North- our home is gone, and we have weaklings to slaughter."
    Azyryl was tiring of the Khornate's single mindedness. "There is an Elven camp to the north of here, where they've chosen to land. Their kin lie to the West, and the two are marching to meet in the field. We can use this gate to arrive outside their town in the night, and butcher their garrison while their army is away unawares."
    "This stinks of the machinations of Tzeentch- sneaking around in the night, hiding. Kill the Elves in the field, both of their armies, and ride away with the heads of their generals on stakes, it would be a battle worth fighting then."
    Azyryl sighed, "There will be fighting enough in their town, I assure you. You will find more Elves there than in their armies in the field. The others do not leave their camps undefended. And I'm sure that whatever denizens reside in that Rift will not let us pass so easily."

--------

I take the unoccupied town to the East, over the mountains, before marching back to the West and erecting a Fort behind my Capital. The enemy must march towards my fort if they are in it's area of control, and cannot willing enter a battle along the way- so they'll be marching past my home city, giving me extra time to return to defend it. Continuing West, I'm heading for the southern Warp Gate. The VC player switched to HighElves since we already had a VC general (who unknowingly switched to Empire for the same reason), and he is marching West- away from me- to ally with the Wood Elves and destroy the Dark Elves. I'm taking advantage of his absence to attack his capitol, pitting my 2500pts of Warriors against his 3000pt garrison. The Northwestern gate is just one turn away from his capitol, so I'll arrive and attack before he can react. My only other adversary will be 1000pts of Daemons in the rift. I should be able to kill them with less than 525pts of casualties from my army, so my army will arrive fully reinforced at the gates of the capitol. 3k of HE with no lords is nothing for me to be worried about, especially since much of his collection is focused around Archers and other sub-par regiments. Swordmasters or White Lions could prove troublesome, but I have ways of making them suffer (Shadows to drop their Ini or Strength).

Meanwhile, my Lizardman ally has snatched up two towns (which are half as effective as towns for other players, as a racial feature representing how far away Lustria is) and is moving back towards his capitol. He can't travel through Rifts, as he's forced to close them after defeating the Daemons. He'll be working on keeping us safe from the Dwarfs, and possibly marching on the Wood Elves to keep pressure on them. His army is slow, it's going to be a long time before he goes to war.

The rest of the armies are moving around quite freely. Two other players who joined the campaign late (and against most player's wishes) have already met their ends as a result of their own stupidity. A Vampires player marched against an Empire fortress, meeting 2500pts and having his general killed and captured in a fierce battle. Next turn, the Empire player's main army is going to swing by the Fort, collect the Vampire's remains, and take them back to his capitol to be destroyed, thus ending the game for the VC player. The Tomb Kings player on the other hand, met a similar end in a field-battle against the Wood Elves. Both Generals were killed, but the Wood Elf went on to win the battle, and is carrying his wounded general and the TK's remains back to Loren, where the TK general will be sacrificed.
    The Chaos Dwarf and Dwarf players were both moving west, and now have a box formed between themselves and their capitols. If either of them makes a bid on the other, they'll meet in the middle. What they're planning, none of us can tell, but they're moving away from me. There is a Chaos Rift South of them, so I might wait until they are far away from their capitols and then charge in and take one of them out, while they think they're safe behind their mountain walls.

New Rule
    Because we are so spread out, and it is taking so long for players to sally forth and fight each other, a new rule regarding the scattering of unoccupied or defeated capitals has come into existence. There are 5 empty cities at the start of the game, and the opportunity to capture other player's capitals if you defeat them. These capitals will provide a second banner. This banner will include a Lord option, and have all the rules for a banner of the owning race. You have to build the banner out of Reinforcement Points though, and it cannot leave the Capitol until it has reached 1500pts. This means that most players will be waiting for 4 turns before they can leave. You can continue building the army up to a 2500pt banner, provided you have the reinforcement points coming in.
    Thanks to this new rule, I've thought about exiting the Rift at a gate to the south, near an unoccupied capitol in the middle of the map. My enemies would all be at least 3 turns away from it, giving me time to build up a solid defending force and fight from there. It would take me 5 turns before I could have an army equal to theirs however, so I'm somewhat hesitant to march in just yet. It depends how badly mauled I am by the Daemon army. Perhaps I could grab the abandoned capital and build up the army, then combine the forces and hop back through the gate to attack the High Elves (grabbing another banner in the process to help tip the scales).
    Pts Values for AoS here!

5. LikeBlackheart liked this post.
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

We played turns 5-6 on Wednesday. The new capitals rule was originally misinterpreted. Apparently, each Capital gives 200 additional points of reinforcement, and with my army following Tzeentch to give +100pts per capital, I'm now dragging in 800pts per turn (captured a capital on turn 6). My extra banner will be ready on turn 7, and marching for the elves on turn 8.
    Azyryl reclined in the carved basalt throne, in the middle of the palace courtroom. Through the broken windows, he could see the embers of burning buildings and charnel heaps billowing into the night sky. From where he sat on the throne, curving blue tendrils of Tzeentch his god, stretched out into the city and warped it into an architecture more fitting for the Lord of Change. His bodyguards watched over the doors, their armor now more ornate, baroque, and terrifying than it had been at the start of their journey- a gift from Tzeentch for vanquishing his foes during the hellish invasion of the warp-gate.

Armies of the North were marching South, following in Azyryl's bloody wake. Soon he would be a warmaster, but he put such thoughts of grandeur from his mind. The leader of one such tribe stood before him in the court. The man's body was corpulent, greasy fat spilling through the gaps in his rusted armor, and a sheen of rancid puss dripped constantly from the blades of his weapon- Bezalyl, Plaguespeaker of Nurgle.
    "Speak Nurglitch," Azyryl tried to mask the disgust in his voice, Tzeentch and Nurgle rarely cooperated.
    "I have marched south in your wake, with an army of fifteen hundred. Each man is willing to lay his weapon at the foot of your banner and pledge his allegiance to your war," he croaked, "many of them have also felt the depredations of the Southmen, their homes are destroyed or cast into famine. We have come seeking vengeance, just like you."
    Azyryl nodded at Bezalyl, "how soon will your men be able to march? We are assaulting the elven camp within a fortnight."
    Bezalyl croaked wetly with glee, "we can march within the week. And you should note, the Lizards to the East are gone, their territory is overthrown at last by the Daemons from beyond the veil- they march beneath the banners of the Changling God"
    Azyryl nodded again, "then perhas we will have allies in this next assault."

Azyryl had already fought against the Daemons, and earned much honor in that battle. Although his army had been depleted, those men who survived had had the blessing of Tzeentch heaped upon them. Himself and his bodyguard wore armor thicker than any found in the mortal realms. The Knights who rode with Kokabyl and Turyl had been twice blessed, their weapons made more bloodthirsty and their steeds made into tireless chargers of the far worlds. Azyryl's army was growing into a force to be feared, and with the Daemons of his god now solidly anchored in this world, and no doubt thanks to his actions, he would have fresh allies to march at his side.

Turn 5 I entered the Warp gate, and defeated the 1000pts of Daemons who guarded it. My leader was given an additional EotG roll and gained +1 armor. His unit also attained enough experiene to reach Veteran status, and I gave them additional armor as well. My Knights gained so much experience in the battle that they went all the way to Heroic status, gaining Furious Charge at Veteran level, and (horrifyingly for my enemies) Ambushers at Heroic tier. On turn 6 I left the Warp at a gate near a central Capital, and took the unoccupied hex without a fight. I erected a fort near the gate to draw people away from the Capitol and give me time to march to it's defense. Next turn I will have my 1500pt banner complete, giving me a 4000pt army to march against the High Elve's 3000pt capital. There is a Fortress in the way, but with only a 2500pt garrison to oppose me, it should be no trouble to defeat or route around. My Lizardmen friend has also swapped his army to Daemons, to make our alliance more believable. He plans to capture the Warp Gates as towns, and let me pass unhindered, speeding up my movement and saving me taking casualties. No other battles were fought this week, as many of the other players are too far apart and unwilling to use the gates.
    The additional 1500pt list will be added to my roster in the WoC section, as well as unit upgrades gained through experience.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

7. LikeBlackheart liked this post.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you're doing great for yourself :-).
    Like the way it is written, the bits of fluff certainly add to this. :-).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Destroy the puny elves. Burn their pathetic fortresses to the ground and impale their effeminate, unworthy bodies on their own spears. Dedicate their dragons to Tzeentch and sacrifice their beasts of war to Khorne. Let their corpses feed the hounds and give their souls as offerings to the true Gods, however weak they may be. Gift their cities with Nurgle's blessing of putrefaction and rejoice in their inevitable destruction.

As you may be able to tell, I don't like high elves.

Anyway, it sounds like an awesome campaign, I wish we had something like this in my area/store. What would be awesome is if later on the warp rifts became arcane ley lines and any battles there are SoM. Mayber whoever controls them has all their wizards permanently gain a level, or have access to scrolls of binding or cataclysm spells in regular games.
    Last edited by MightisRight; September 10th, 2011 at 12:09.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

I'm glad that you are all enjoying the story so far. I don't know if anyone has noticed just yet, but all of my character names are based on the 'Chiefs of Ten', the fallen angels from the Book of Enoch: Azrael, Kokabel, Turel, Sakaerel, Bezalel.

The plan for Bezalyl's army is to bolster the 2500pts that I already have, adding in a lot of support oriented items. After I've taken the Elf capital, I will build another 1500pt from it, to combine with Bezalyls- it will be more in line with my current 2500pt army, and the two will start marching together as a 3000pt force. Thinking way ahead of myself, but I think that my next target will be the Dwarves.

I don't have any real updates this week, but next week should be full of all sorts of fun stuff, and maybe some real bat-reps courtesy of Battle Chronicler. I had to make my moves blind, because tropical storm Lee hit the East coast of the US and after all the rain from Hurricane Irene, most of the roads around here were underwater. I called in my moves - I waited a turn for Bezalyl's army to be fully formed, then moved out of my city and back into the Chaos Rift. My allied Daemon player (I'll start writing up fluff for his army too, perhaps) is already waiting in a Rift and ready to hop out and support me if I need him to- he's also covering my retreat if I need to duck back into the Warp, because he'll provide me safe passage without having to battle any Daemons.
    I'm not sure if the Elves went anywhere at all, my biggest fear is that the Rift exit will be in the "zone of control" for his fortress, which would force me to assault his fort. No big deal, it's a 2500pt game and I'd be able to march on his capital next turn anyways, but I'm worried that he'll play it smart and move his army back to his capital, giving him a 5,500pt army (2.5k, +3k w/ no lords) against my 4k force. That's why the Daemons are sitting in the rift - if I find out he's running for his Capital, I'll have the Daemons reinforce me in the assault, and we'll play a massive 6.5k vs. 5.5k game. The trouble is that seizing a capital isn't an "auto-loss" for any player - his army can't reinforce, but I still have to destroy him in the field. He has to march back towards his capital and try to retake it, so I'll just sit there with 6500pts of Chaos Warriors (captured capitals get a free 2500pt garrison, no lords) against his puny 2.5k of High Elves while I build up another 1.5k Warrior banner.

The overall game plan is simple: knock out the Elves and get another 1500pt, giving me a 3k "combined" banner. These battles will hopefully give Azyryl enough experience to reach all the way to the final Faction Leader rank of 'Warmaster', and his army will swell to 3k as well. Then it's on to the Dwarfs with a massive 6k besieging force. Once they're down and I have their 1500pt banner under my wing, I'll add it to Azyryl's banner for a 4500pt army to siege capitals, while having a 3k force to run around attacking armies in the field. If I hit that point, I think I might as the GM if I can add Archaon to my force, to represent the fact that there are now 7.5k of Warriors and 2.5k of Daemons descending on the civilized world.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

Nice game plan cap, just hope the dice gods are just in your campaign to rule the free world! Consider me subscribed!

Oh, and definately write up the Daemon fluff if you get time, it is definately adding extra depth to the campaign. Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda seems strange for this to be my first post in a year and a half, but I'm really enjoying this thread. The fluff is top-notch and the presentation is excellent. I can't wait for the battle reports.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

NO! Don't say that!
    I'm sorry guys, but I have to call an end to this whole thing. I went to play the campaign today, and didn't even get a game in. My army came out of the Warp gate 4,000pts strong, and slammed straight into the Elves. He conceded the game, admitting that there's no way he'd be able to beat me with 2500pts of High Elves against 4000pts of Chaos Warriors, with 2500pts of Daemons waiting in reserves. My character did exactly what I thought he would- with the death of the Elves, he leveled all the way up to Warmaster status, boosting his banner to a 3000pt status, taking the Elf capital gave me another 1500pts to add to my 1500pt banner, and the other players decided to call it.
    With the Elf player having quit, my army swelling to maximum size before most other players had even played a game at all, and several other players dropping out (we lost 2 more this week, plus the elf and the other 2 who quit as soon as we brutalized them), they decided to hang up that campaign on the grounds that the rules were too unforgiving and too easily exploitable.

There were seven people who were still interested though. One of them is a staff member, who will be organizing another "games-mastered" campaign. So all is not lost. Next week- hopefully -there will be another campaign starting up. The premise is a Chaos Invasion on the realm of the Empire. Here are the details as we have them:

Chaos Warriors - me
    Chaos Daemons - Kile (my friend, and ally from last campaign)
    Dark Elves
    these are the invading armies. The Dark Elves used the underground rivers to land in Kislev and travel up the river to meet with our invading forces in Troll Country.

Goblins
    Vampires
    Ogres
    these are the defenders who will be stopping us.

The fluff is that in the dead of winter, a Chaos warhost is traveling down the World Edge mountains, largely held by Goblins. Knowing that our armies are headed right for Stirland and therefore Sylvania, the Vampire Count mobilizes his forces to defend his territory. Because he expects the Goblins to be horrible allies, he buys the assistance of a nearby Ogre tribe from across the mountains. Because it is the middle of winter, the Empire is slow to rally, so there will be no imperial forces involved, and the Dwarfs are biding their time, letting all the forces of evil duke it out above ground, so there are no dwarfs.

Rules wise, we're all starting up with 1500pt armies, all standard but with just 1 rare choice allowed. There will be towns, cities, forts, and villages to capture to add to our armies, and missions and scenarios as determined by the gamesmaster, which will also help. The armies can grow beyond 1500pts, but although they will take casualties in battle, they'll never drop below the initial 1500pts. If an army is wiped out, it will restart on the map in their home village. The campaign ends with the forces of Chaos reach the Vampire's keep in Sylvania, or when the 'Defenders' travel far enough North to close the chaos gate which is spewing daemons into Kislev.

Once I figure out a list, I'll post it and link to it. Suffice to say, Azyryl is still on the warpath, battle reports will be posted, and fluff will still be written. It seems we're all going to have to accept the fact that the soft-bellied southmen simply can't handle the raw power of the Chosen of Chaos, and have decided to make a fresh plea for their pitiful lives.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast