Michigan Grand Tournament 2016 AAR - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    234 (x3)

Michigan Grand Tournament 2016 AAR

Hello everybody! If this isn't the right place for this I do apologize and the AoS forum has not been the most active as of late. Last weekend I attended the Michigan Grand Tourney for the first time, and I have to say what a blast! For those of you who don't know, the GT is a convention held in Michigan for the past 6 years that has events for pretty much every table top war game you can think of. I attended with a buddy who entered into the 2-day 40k tournament with his guard, while I entered the modest AoS event. It was a great weekend. Prizes were won, dice were rolled, and hypothetical blood flowed. I will definitely be attending again next year. A few weeks back I posted on here looking for some C&C for my Bret army that I would be entering. In that post several of you expressed interest in a follow-up to the tourney so here I am! This is looking like it is going to turn into a longer post so I'll start with some general impression points, then flesh them out in detail later. So here we go!

General AoS Impressions:
    -The game is super smooth an streamlined now
    -Magic is no longer the world killer
    -Anything can kill anything
    -The game is still full of strategy and is not a child's game.

Bretonnian Army Impressions:
    -Paladins ain't nothin' to f**k with.
    -Pegasus knights are my new favorite unit
    -King Louencour is an invaluable buffer unit
    -Charge or die

AoS Impression Analysis:
    So I will be the first to admit that when this game first saw the light of day I was one of the nay-sayers who thought that GW went and ruined their game. About 10 minutes into my first match I realized that this was not the case. The game is extremely simple and streamlined, but to be honest I think that this is a positive. On paper it seems to be too simple, but after experiencing the fast pace unforgiving rule system you realize that the all the rules they threw out the window was just fat that needed to be trimmed. Gone are all the bloated system mechanics and instead you are left with a simple rules system that doesn't slow done the game. That is not to say that tactics don't play into the game. In fact the mechanic of activating units mechanic forces you to really think and be smart. You find yourself asking, "Can my knights hold up going second to the Orruk Brutes? Or should I risk not activating my character only to see them go down to some lucky dice roles?" All in all I found playing Age of Sigmar to be a very freeing experience. You can focus much more on the fun and your opponents company. It's nice not having to spend 20 minutes trying to work out combat res between the two giant bricks of elite troops that usually sits in the middle of the table of every 8th edition game. It may not be for everyone, but I find the rules to be a great game that is easy to learn and just as epic and fun as the editions that came before it. Possibly my favorite change is the magic. Magic has fell back to be a support more or less for infantry, which is where it should be in my opinion. The battles should be about the armies clashing, where as a majority of my experience with 8th edition was simply to see which sides sorcerer could delete all the enemies units first. There is still offensive magic to be sure, but it's a far-cry from the power build casters who would through out purple suns like candy. Finally, the new rules are bloody. Anything wounds anything else on the same roll all the time now. This is so much more fun to me, it adds a huge unknown variable which is an exciting risk. You are forced to exhibit much more caution, your kitted out chaos lord on a juggernaut is not the invincible battle tank he once was. He will go down to peasants as easily as goblins would. Not only is this realistic, it means that characters are much more vulnerable and gives the player who has lost a lot of units to still have a fighting chance of killing the enemy and turning the tide. If you play Age of Sigmar, prepare to lose models a lot. They will do down easily and you will put down the enemy fairly easily.

Bretonnian Army Impressions:
    So a little while ago I posted a list that I wanted feedback on, my final list ended up being wildly different. Here it is below.

-King Louen Leoncouer

-The Fay Enchantress

-Paladin

-8x KotR Full Command

-8x KotR Full Command

-16x Men-at-Arms Full Command

-32x Peasant Bowmen Full Command, Stakes and Braziers

-6x Pegasus Knights Full Command

As you can see it is not a large army, in fact it is pretty small and heavy on the characters. I was worried about this at first, but boy did my characters shine like a diamond over the course of my three games. First up of the three, the Paladin (He was the Templar themed one I posted a pic of recently). He was tied for MVP for the weekend. I had him set up to baby sit my archers and men-at-arms along my board edge. For all three games the enemy eventually came up the middle to try and take out my archers and this little guy stopped it. With King Louen's general ability activated my paladin was nye unstoppable. Using his killing blow, he was hitting on a 2+, dealing d6 mortal wounds, with a 2+ save, and healing a 1 wound every hero phase with his Phoenix Stone. His first game he killed a Hell Pit abomination by himself, then when it staggered back up, he brought it back down to one wound before expiring himself. Second game he stood in front of my archers and took the charge of 10 'ard boys and killed them all. Later he killed 2 out of ten Brutes before I rolled 5 1's at once meaning he was did in one round of combat (both me and my opponent high-fived at the sheer awesomeness of it all). All this from an 80pt foot mobile model.

Tying with my Paladin for MVP of the weekend were my Pegasus knights. This was my first time using them, and I am never not taking them again. All three games I played they first turn charged. With their swooping charge ability and 4 wounds a piece they are more than just war machine hunters, especially in units of 6. The tournament that I played in had a rule where every game each player picked a sudden death objective and if completed granted bonus points. My second game I chose assassinate. My opponent picked his Demon Prince of Slaanesh as my target. First turn I got the charge off on in and killed it in the first combat of the game. Their sheer speed is something that I cannot see myself going without any more.

This was also my first game using the fabled king of Bretonnia. I must say that he is far better now than he has ever been. First of all his general ability allows all the knights in my army to essentially hit on a 2+. This makes sure that if you charge with your knights you are basically deleting whole units and characters. Secondly he is quite the good fighter, that can heal multiple wounds every hero phase. Finally, but most importantly HE MAKES THE ENTIRE ARMY IMMUNE TO BATTLESHOCK! I cannot possibly undercut how important this is. I couldn't help but laugh as Orruk 'ard Boys ran from combat all the while my outnumbered peasant men-at-arms sat there like half their teammates weren't just brutally slaughtered. The staying power of your triples because of this ability. Peasant archers also sowed great fear among my enemy. I declared an arrowstorm and in one turn took an Orruk Megoboss on a Maw Crusha (with a 2+ and 14 wounds mind you) down to one wound, which he lost the next turn.

All this being said, when it comes to Brets you either charge or you die. They become exponentially worse if they haven't charged. So make sure they get the charge off. So those are my initial impressions, expect more to come soon!

"... That which is sacrosanct I shall preserve. That which is sublime, I will protect. That which threaten, I will destroy.
    For my holy wrath will knows no bound..." -Grail Vow of Bretonnia

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Awesome, and I'm glad you had a good run!
    I can't say that I hate AoS at all. The only reason I still lurk around here is because I still have faith in the game, when I do play it. I don't have any formal location to play AoS, it's just a few friends and I at home, and since nobody can tell us otherwise, we mostly just play 8th and lots of Bolt Action. All the game stores locally are into KoW or that stupid 9th Age stuff (those people are like "vape aficionados" in terms of their annoying pragmaticism)

How big was the tournament - does it seem like there's a solid base for the game, or is it still an ugly bastard of an edge case?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    234 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Awesome, and I'm glad you had a good run!
    I can't say that I hate AoS at all. The only reason I still lurk around here is because I still have faith in the game, when I do play it. I don't have any formal location to play AoS, it's just a few friends and I at home, and since nobody can tell us otherwise, we mostly just play 8th and lots of Bolt Action. All the game stores locally are into KoW or that stupid 9th Age stuff (those people are like "vape aficionados" in terms of their annoying pragmaticism)

How big was the tournament - does it seem like there's a solid base for the game, or is it still an ugly bastard of an edge case?
    The tournament had 8 people for Age of Sigmar compared to the 50 something that played 40k. There was maybe 16 for 9th Age? I know it seems small, but this was only the second year for the Age of Sigmar event, so it is relatively new. I honestly have alot of hope for the game catching on, especially if they just sit down and play. I know I was one of the ones who didn't even touch it when it first came out, but the General's Handbook fixed most of the problems that kept me away from the game. I just think more people need to get over that initial impression at launch and just dive right in. In my home state there seems to be a small but devout core group that is helping to keep the bud alive until it blossoms so to speak.
    "... That which is sacrosanct I shall preserve. That which is sublime, I will protect. That which threaten, I will destroy.
    For my holy wrath will knows no bound..." -Grail Vow of Bretonnia

+ Reply to Thread