500 point mega battle, woodelves v 2 ogre armies! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 point mega battle, woodelves v 2 ogre armies!

Ok, I played my first game of WarHammer using some "house" models at the local GW store. I chose to play their wood elves. Two other guys showed up for the megabattles, one used the GW house Ogres, the other used his own personal ogres. I'll put down what I know from their lists...

Wood Elves:
    1 Songsinger, lvl 2. I had some kind of spite that was a magic missile that gave units stupidity.
    2 units of 10 glade guard
    1 Hawk

Ogre Army #1
    Big Ugly Ogre General...
    A bunch of tiny gnoblars (4 ranks, if I remember correctly, so probably 20 of them)
    6 big ugly ogres

Ogre Army #2
    Big Ugly Ogre General
    2 units of 4 big ugly ogres

--

Ok, the deal was we were seeking "treasure untold". We had 6 turns to get to the treasure and get back with it. Had I realized this, I'd have chosen some glade riders instead...But yeah, I had to work with what I got. We each started in the same general area on one side of the map, and placed a few pieces of scenery in the way.

Turn 1:
    Ogre Army #1 advanced. Nothing significant.
    Ogre Army #2 advanced. Nothing significant.
    Wood Elves had their Hawk charge into the rear of Ogre Army #1's ogres. I dealt one wound. I tried to cast Uriel's Blessing on my hawk (so he wouldn't die so easy), but failed. Both units of my glade guard shot arrows at an ogre unit of the 2nd Ogre army, dealing two wounds.

Turn 2:
    Ogre Army #1 advanced with his General. His gnoblars were subjected to bickering, and couldn't move. His ogre unit reformed to face my hawk, and proceeded to beat the snot out of it. My hawk fled, and he ran it down and ate it.
    Ogre Army #2 ignored me and kept on trucking.
    Wood Elf Army was highly upset about the brutal eatings that the ogres performed. I shot at the ogres with both units of my glade guard, killing off one, and doing two wounds on another. I casted Uriel's Blessing on the Glade Guard closest to the ogres, because I know they were all about to die anyway.

Turn 3:
    Ogre Army #1 had his gnoblars hurl some sharp stuff at a unit of ogres on the opposing team. One wound, which killed off an ogre (I dealt 2 wounds in round 1 to it). His leader pressed forward, and his unit of (now) 5 ogres charged one of my glade guard, annihilating only 3 of them, and they were all killd during the bull charge. The regeneration saved the rest of them from a bloody death. The wood elves did a stand-and-shoot, and didn't make any wounds.
    Ogre Army #2 set his unit of (now) 3 ogres up for a charge on the gnoblars. The rest of his units pressed forward torward the treasure.
    Wood Elves weren't sitting pretty at all. Caught in close combat, the Glade Guard pulled out some Elven Judo (they're only armed with longbows, so they were letting me make hits with strength only in close combat) and with some miraculous rolls, I killed off another ogre. I used the other glade guard unit to shoot at the ogres, and do two wounds to an additional ogre. He's down to three now. My songsinger hits a unit of ogres in the Ogre Army 2 (the one with 3) with that spite that gives them stupidity. They're now stupid...er...than they were.

Turn 4:
    Ogre Army #1 charges the stupidified ogres with his gnoblars. Gnoblars make a wound, and lose 3. The unit he has in close combat with my glade guards takes one more wound, but kills off 2 more of my glade guard. I make my panic check, and succeed.
    Ogre Army #2 smashes more gnoblars. I think 4 of them were lost in this round. They take no wounds.
    Wood Elves...I declare a charge with my other unit of glade guard on the ogres. Suicidal? Yeah, a little, but I didn't want to watch as my elves get their arms pulled off like little toys. In this combat phase, I killed off all but two ogres, the bellower and the champion...with my Elven Judo (aka, really high rolls...almost all 5's and 6's on to-hit and to-wound). The ogres break and run like big, slobbering girls. I almost fancied chasing them down, but decided it'd be more fun to put some arrows in their backs on the next turn instead. My songsinger shoots an arrow at the gnoblars and misses.

Turn 5:
    Ogre Army #1's leader grabs the gold and starts to run off with it. His gnoblars get hurt more, and do absolutely nothing to the unit they're engaged with.
    Ogre Army #2 sets up his unit of 4 ogres and his leader to engage Ogre Army #1's leader.
    Wood Elves shoot the backs of the still-fleeing ogres, and finish them off. Other than that, I sit around uselessly.

Turn 6:
    Ogre Army #1's leader engages #2's leader. Fighting insues, leading #1 to take 2 wounds, and #2 to take 1 wound. Gnoblars flee and get ran down.
    Ogre Army #2 charges with his other unit ogres into the #1's leader. He dies, leaving army #1 completely vanquished.
    Wood Elves move, but aren't in range to shoot.

Ok. So the Ogre Army #2 won the scenario, obviously. He had the treasure at the end, and that was the objective. It was my first game, and I was rather proud of how I did, irregardless of how unprepared I was.

Irregardless of the scenario outcome, I completed what I wanted to. I wanted to learn the basics of the game (as it was my first), and I learned every phase of the game, including magic and shooting. I also learned a lesson: Never charge hawks into ogres.

Sailor by career, pirate by heart.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Well done on your first game, it was a good battle report. Fortunately for Warhawk riders you won't see Ogres very much

Good luck in future with WE if that's what you want to collect,

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll be collecting Dark Elves, but the GW shop didn't have any house models for those, so I went with what I thought would be the closest. Thanks though.
    Sailor by career, pirate by heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with Dark Elves, i play them myself... several wise words for you... DARK RIDERS

As soon as you suss out how to use these guys properly, no-one can defeat you (except beastman, who always beat me grr)

+ Reply to Thread