Librarium Online Forums banner

Battle Report Empire versus Dark Elves 2000 pts Pitched Battle

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  eagletsi 
#1 ·
Battle Report Empire versus Dark Elves 2000 pts Pitched Battle

Prologue:

Grandmaster of the White Wolf, Jedrik Hines army had just recovered from its recent battle with the Dwarfs. Jedrik was happy his army had fought well, but he knew it could perform better. His men were gaining more experience with each battle, and he knew more experience equated to more victories. Suddenly a crossbow bolt sailed just wide of his head. Jedrik looked quickly in the direction it came from an saw nothing, but had seen this type of bolt before he knew it was a Dark Elf bolt. Jedrik yelled “Prepare for battle the Dark Elves are apon us�….

Malice Stormblade, looked on at the empire column in march and saw Jedrik was now aware. Angered by the failed attempt on the Grandmaster life turn to Truella his sorceress and said “You may have the head of the scout that failed the attempt.� Then order his units to attack and destroy the feeble humans…

Empire:

Jedrik Hines – Templar Grandmaster of the White Wolf, Barded Warhorse, Cavalry Hammer, and Holy Relic – 211 points

Markus Gedron – Warrior Priest – Additional Warhammer, Armour of Metoric Iron – 135 pts.

Allistar Smite – Battle Wizard – Level 2 – 95 pts.

Henry Felkin – Captain - BSB -, Full Plate, Sword of Might – 103 pts.

5 White Wolf Inner Circle Knights, Full Command – 180 pts. (Lead by Jedrik)

15 Great Swords, Full command, Griffon Banner – 260 pts. (Lead by Henry Felkin)

19 Halberds, Full Command – 158 pts. (Lead by Markus Gedron)

8 Free company Detachment – 40 pts.

6 Archers Detachment – 48 pts.

19 Swordsmen, Full command – 158 pts. (Lead by Allistar Smite)

5 Knights Panther, Full command – 155 pts.

1 Great Cannon - 100 pts.

1 Mortar – 75 pts.

Thomas Tragar – Giant – 205 pts.

10 Handgunners, Hochland Rifle, Champion – 100 pts.

Total 1998 pts.

Dark Elves:

Malice Stormblade, High Born – Heavy Armor, Shield, Cold One, Sea Dragon Cloak, Guantlet of Power – 242 pts.

Truella – Sorceress, Level 2, Dark Steed, Dark Star Cloak, Dispel Scroll – 187 pts.

Kaldren – Noble – BSB – Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak – 105 pts.

5 Cold One Knights, Full Command – 190 pts. (Lead by Malice)

8 Dark Riders, Repeater Crossbows, Full Command – 227 pts (Lead by Truella)

19 Dark Elf Warriors, Shield , Spears, Full Command – 177 pts (Lead by Kaldren)

10 Witch Elves of Khaine – 130 pts

20 Corsairs, Full Command, War Banner – 250 pts.

5 Harpies – 65 pts.

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower – 100 pts.

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower – 100 pts.

1 Cold One Chariot – Repeater Crossbows, Spears – 107 pts.

10 Dark Elf Warriors, Shields, Repeating Crossbows – 120 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

Battle Field:

Malice had surveyed the battlefield before the humans arrived he saw there were 3 hills and decided to set up on the side with 2 hills (One on the left side of the battlefield and one on the right). Malice ordered both his Repeater to be set up on the hill to the left and his Crossbow warriors on the hill to the right. Malice then orders his troop into a battle line. First, the Harpies, then the Cold Ones and Malice, next to them the Dark Elf Warriors and Kaldren, behind them the Witch Elves, next to the Spear elves the Corsairs, then the Chariot all between both hills. On the right side of the Crossbow Warriors, the Dark Riders and Truella protected the flank.

Malice saw Jedrik quickly order his troops into position. Starting with the Halberd warriors and Markus, and their detachments. Next, the Greatswords, behind them the Mortar team setup, then next to the Greatswords the Swordsmen and Allistar, next to them Thomas Tragar the Giant, next to him Jedrik and the White Wolves, then the Great Cannon using the hill as a flank protector. On the hill the Hand gunners and the Hochland champion Mikeal. Then, next to the hill the Knights Panther.

To Battle:

Malice moved his troops forward, towards the empire line, except for the Corsairs. On the right flank the Cold One chariot moved in front of the hill while the Dark Riders and Truella moved in front of the Knight of Panther Daring them to charge. Truella them summoned the winds and directed them towards the Knights hitting them with a terrible chill. 1 Knight froze to death and fell from his saddle. Across the field the Repeater Bolt Throwers opened fire on the Thomas the Giant. Both bolt hit their mark, but only one wounded and it was just a scratch for the large behemoth. Now in perfect unison the rest of the Dark Elf Crossbows fired. All across the field bolts hit their mark, Thomas was wounded again and another Knight of the Panther fell.

Jedrik ordered his units to advance cautiously, and sent only Thomas stomping across the battlefield towards the Corsairs. Allistar attempted to summon the winds of magic, but the Sorceress was too powerful and he failed. Then the great Cannon boomed the cannon ball flew across the field and bounced landing in the ground directly in front of the Cold Ones and Malice. The Mortar opened fire and landed a round on top of one of the Repeater Bolt Throwers crew, but their machine amazing protected them (Authors Note: I couldn’t roll a wound on either crew) . Mikel opened fire with his Hochland at Kaldren, but his round missed its mark. The rest of the Hand gunner brought down 1 dark warrior.

Malice saw that the humans had planned to shoot his army to pieces and would not let that happen. He ordered his Cold One Unit forward toward the Halberds, with Kaldren and the Spear Elves protecting his flank and the Witch Elves Following. The Harpies flew behind the empire lines and were now within striking distance of the Mortar. To counter the Dark Elves advance Thomas the Giant charged across the field, but failed to reach the Corsairs. In a matter of seconds both Repeater Bolt Thrower targeted the Behemoth and hit their mark Thomas was wounded in the leg and fell to one knee. Only to be finished by deadly accurate bolts the Repeater Crossbow warriors on the hill an Thomas fell to the ground from the assault passing out from blood loss.

Behind the Empire line the Archers left their detachment to screen the Mortar from the Harpies and prepare their bows for a possible charge. At the same time the Empire Line moved forward the Swordsmen, Greatswords and Halberds all in unison and angled towards Malice and the Cold One Knights. While Jedrik maneuvered behind the empire lines attempting a flank assault.

On the other side of the battlefield, Truella moved her Dark Riders to the flank of the Knights Panther while the chariot moved forward down the middle of the battlefield keeping both the Swordsmen and the Knights in its view. The Truella summoned the cold chill winds and directed towards at the Knights Panther and another fell to the chill (Authors Note: That’s two failed armour saves on a 1+ two turns in row), but the Knights Panther never falter and held their ground.

Malice saw the Giant go down and knew it was time to strike, He ordered his Cold Ones to charge the Halberds, at the same time The Witch Elves charged the Halberds also. Malice had now seen the strategy in the Greatswords plan they were slightly behind the halberds and thus could not be charged by either of his unit. Kaldren supported his Lord and charged his Dark Warriors into the Greatswords, even though only a few could get through the Witch Elf unit. This was a risk he had to take so the Greatswords could not counter charge Malice or the Witch Elves. As Malice’s Cold One’s hit the Halberds, they were surprised by a detachment of free company that engaged them on their flank. Malice wasn’t even phased by the Free Company. He swung his gauntlet and 3 Halberds fell to his assault. While the Witch Elves dropped 2 more. Amazingly, Markus struck back and killed 2 Witch Elves, the Halberds attacked, but failed to wound the Cold Ones, The Free Company however, combined their attacks and knocked one rider from his mount then clubbed him to death. Malice couldn’t believe it his Cold Ones and Witch elves were losing the battle and worse the vigor seemed to leave the Witch women, but he stared at them with his evil eyes and both they and the Cold Ones held their ground. More Free Company lapped behind the Cold Ones. In the battle on their flank Kaldren and the spear elves struck with their spears killing 3 Greatswords, and in return Henry and the Greatswords struck back killing 3 Dark Warriors, but even though they had taken casualties they held their ground rather then face Malice’s wrath.

While this was going on the Repeater Bolt Throwers on the Hill saw Jedrik and his Knight White Wolf sneaking behind the empire line and fire the first bolt sailed wide and stuck in the ground. The second bolt skewered all 5 Knights White Wolf, and wounded Jedrik even his Holy Icon couldn’t protect him. This left only Jedrik remaining. While most men would have fled the battle, Jedrik toughened his resolve and rode to the side of the Halberds putting the Cold Ones and Malice in his sights.

Battles were erupting across the battlefield; Allistar knew it was time for him to do something. He summoned the winds of magic and ultimately directed a fiery blast towards the Dark Warriors with Crossbows. All 10 were burnt to a crisp leaving only ashes remaining. The carnage caused the nearby chariot to turn and flee also.

One the other of the battlefield, Malice and his Cold One Knights along with the Witch Elves were beginning to take advantage in the battle with the Halberds and Free Company. Malice had easily dispatched the champion dicing him into 3 pieces, while the Witch Elves and his Cold Ones killed 3 more halberds and 1 free company. In return Markus struck down 2 Witch Elves and Free Company brought down one more Cold One Knight. The Halberds and Free Companies were about to flee but were inspired by the Jedrik’s leadership and the Henry the Battle Standard near by and both held their ground. Next to them the battle between the Greatswords and Kaldren’s Dark Warriors continued, but neither side gained an advantage.

In the middle of the battlefield the Swordmen continued to march towards the Corsairs, while the Hand Gunners and Hochland rifle fired a barrage at the Corsairs killing 3. The cannon crew fired Grapeshot and Truella and her Dark Riders, but failed to kill anything. (Authors Note: I rolled a 2 and failed to wound on either hit). The Mortar also opened fire and the round landed on top of the Repeater Bolt Thrower crew again this time killing both and wounding the machine.

At the same time the remaining Knights Panther moved to the flank of the Dark Riders, who were attempting to get around the rear of the Swordsmen.

Across the battlefield, Jedrik saw the battle in front of him between the Malice’s Cold One Knights, Witch Elves and his Halberds and Free Company was beginning to turn in the Dark Elves Favor. He knew if he could join the battle the Elves would most certainly break. As he spurred his horse to charge a volley of Repeater fire hit him, even with his Holy Icon protecting him he was knocked from his mount to the ground. He thought to himself “What have I done to betray Ulric?�, and then passed out. (Authors Note: I failed my 4+ ward save all 3 times I used it)

Malice saw the Human Lord get impaled and yelled “Your leader has fallen, you are no match for my might� Markus stepped up to challenge Malice, but even his magic armour could not protect him. An Malice struck him down with 2 blows, after seeing this the Halberds could not longer hold and fled from Malice and his Cold One Knights, but amazingly the Free Company did not flee and continued the fight. Next, to them the Greatswords and Spear Elves each continued to battle with neither side gaining an upper hand.

At that moment the Harpies charged into the Mortar crew, who bravely stood in front of their machine. The Mortar crew fended off the Harpies attacks and then struck down 2 of them, causing the Harpies to flee from the humans.

In the center of the battlefield, the fleeing Cold One Chariot rallied and turned to face the Swordsmen, while the Corsair’s maneuvered to charge the Swordsmen and Allistar. Truella moved her Dark Riders to the rear of the Swordsmen and summoned Black Horror and directed it at the Swordsmen and Allistar, who were helpless to stop it. 8 Swordsmen fell dead while Allistar was also wounded, but the Swordsmen toughened their resolve and held their ground under Allistar’s leadership.

Across the battlefield, the fleeing Halberds failed to rally and kept running. While Malice moved over to fight the Free Company and killed 3 while his Cold One killed another, in return they failed to wound Malice and now outnumber they fled the fear causing Cold Ones and Malice. Malice held his unit in check and kept them from following the fleeing Free Company and prepared to charge the flank of the Greatswords and Henry.

Henry and the Greatswords continued to fight Kaldren and Spear Elves, this time 2 more Greatswords fell, but in return 2 Spear Elves fell, and this time Henry and his Greatswords gained the advantage. The close proximity of Malice held them in their place.

The Hochland Rifle and Hand gunners opened fire the Cold One Chariot and wounded it twice. While the remaining Knights of the Panther charged the Sorceress Truella and her Dark Riders who easily scampered away from the Knights. The Swordsmen had no choice but to charge the Corsair and the battle erupted. 2 Corsairs were killed and in return 2 Swordsmen fell, but neither side could gain an advantage.

Truella and her Dark Riders rallied and move to the flank of the Greatswords and Henry. While Malice and his Cold One Knights charged into the flank of the Greatswords. Malice struck down 2 more while the spear elves and Kaldren killed 2 also. In return the champion and Henry downed 2 Dark Warriors, but it was not enough to turn the advantage in their favor, but still the Greatswords showed their honor and held there ground.

Suddenly a lone Dark Rider rode onto the field and played a deafening note on his horn. Malice knew what it meant, and was not happy. His camp was under attack by High Elves and he was needed to protect it. Malice gave the signal to fall back and the fighting stopped, with Malice and Victorious Dark Elves leaving the remaining humans stunned by their loss.

Epilogue:

Allistar quickly took inventory of who had fallen and applied healing salves to all of them; Markus was barely alive and would recover. Jedrik only slightly injured and would also recover. Jedrik asked what made the Dark Elves leave, Henry told them he had heard Elven horns in the distance, and that he thought maybe Malice’s camp was under attack. Jedrik didn’t care, he was just thankful to be alive. It would be a while before his army was ready for another battle.

Results:
A Dark Elves Massacre Victory he beat me by almost 650 points.

Notes:

I made some bad mistakes with movement of both my Knights Unit. Also my War machine shooting was pitiful. Overall, a complete disaster of a game.

What does everyone think?

eagletsi

See less See more
#2 ·
Another great one eagletsi, shame you were massacred though. I think your list would've done much better against DE with more knights even though it was partly that which made you lose in the game. Also I think that you have too many heroes, but that doesn't matter, it was a good read all the same :)

Hex

#4 ·
Either the giant (which I would most recommend but I know that you spent a lot of money on it and want to use it - I would too) or the Mortar and the Archers and Free Companies Detachments. These are small and will not do much good on their own and the mortar is too inaccurate for me. On the other hand the Knights pose a real threat.

Hex

#5 ·
As you stated I can't lose the giant yet. I think I need to develop a tactic with using the gaint to shield my knights. Also I was thinking of losing the Warrior Priest, but I just think I need him for the fluff. The Mortar was inaccurate, maybe I could drop that.

eagletsi

#6 ·
A friend of my play a swift, shooty empire army with less infantry. It works quite well.

In a 2500 point game, he'll bring two units of Knightly Orders, both 2 ranks with 4 man wide. (One with Knights of the Inner Circle). Then he'll bring a Knights of the White Wolf with Knights of the Inner Circle. Depending on the situation, he could bring a 5 man unit of Pistoliers. He can always switch out the Pistoliers for a 12 man unit of Handgunners. For his warmachines, he'll bring a cannon or a mortar. For infantry, theres always 2 units of 12 handgunners each. He only keeps a big block of Haldberdiers/Spearmen with some Free Companies as detachments. If he needs meat shiels he just brings a 15 man unit of Free Companies to cover flanks. Finally who can forget the Greatswords?

The main pointsink in your list is your giant, which I know you have to keep. I think the giant model is awesome and the randomness is fun to play with. What I'll recommend would be, drop the detachments. If you also drop the giant when you gain more models, that frees up another 300 points. I know heros make a great impact on units but Greatswords are already quite powerful on their own. If you drop Henry, thats an additional 400 points. 400 points could increase the Panther Knights to 10 and get another unit of Handgunners. The rest could be spent on another 20 Haldberdiers/Spearmen/Swordsmen or another unit of White Wolf Knights.

#8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I will probably lose the detachments, but the Giant I just painted so he has to be used for a while longer. Also as for dropping the BSB, I can't tell you how many times I have rerolled my break test for the great swords in just my two games. I think of all he has to be there to counter act my poor leadership. Thats my take

eagletsi

#9 ·
The Giant is actually good if you can somehow shield it from fire or get lucky with dice. I'd play a few more games, and if he still fails you, sell him on Ebay or something.

Hex

#11 ·
Nice report. Usually you can tell who's going to win because its the winner typing it. I think it shows good sportsmanship to spend time typing up a loss. Kudos to you.

I faced a similar army with my dark elves (also 2000 points) not long ago. It was much more shooting oriented though, 1 cannon, 2 mortars & a hellblaster. A big unit of 12 knights, some handgunners, free company, light cav & 1 block of infantry.
The characters were a grand templar master (with the knights) and 2 wizards (level 1 & 2).

The battle result was a draw but he was lucky to get that..
From what I can tell, the mortars arent very good unless you are GREAT at distance guessing. The free company didnt do anything other than get stuck on my chariots wheels..
& the knights are too easy to kill with Bolt throwers (fired 2 at them in 1 turn, killing 6).
The magic isnt worth taking (atleast not against elves) for anything other than magic defence.
The hellblaster was simply leathal, and the cannon braught down a chariot (& wouldve done alot more if I didnt kill the crew on turn 2 with harpies).
The lord with the freaky D6 S10 maelstrom thing, well he got lucky with that and killed my highborn, then the Cold one knights fled & he caught them. (400 points worth) perhaps consider trying that!.

All in all i would say drop 1 unit of infantry & 1 character, & take another war machine. Play a more defensive style. Against elves you shouldnt be in any hurry to run out and get hacked to pieces, since you know they are coming for you anyway, why not sick back and shoot as many as you can before they get to you ? lol

Good report & good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.