1500pt Chaos vs Bretonnians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

1500pt Chaos vs Bretonnians

After having my Chaos army for about amonth I finally got the oppurtunity to play it against my friend's Bretonnians. He's not the best player, and just generally likes to charge, but it's still concerning as those lances hurt, and I had never played my army before.

I had:
    Exalted Champion: GW, Helm of Many Eyes (with marauders)
    Bray Shaman: Lvl 2, LoS (with Herd)
    Mounted Sorcerer: Lvl 2, MoS (alone)
    24 Marauders
    5 Marauder Horsemen
    5 Chosen Knights: MoS
    2x 5 Warhounds
    5 Furies
    1 Battle Herd
    3 Minotaurs: GWs
    Giant

He had:
    1 Paladin in 7 Grail Knights
    1 Paladin in 9 KotR
    1 Damsel in 11 KotR
    9 KotR

Bad army, I know.

There were five pieces of terrain. On the two flanks were two woods on the left, both equidistant from each other and the board edge. A hill to the right in the middle and heavy terrain in the dead centre. There were two alleys to get through.

Deployment: I put the Herd in the forest to the far left, then the Giant, two squads of hounds and the Minotaurs in the middle. Then for the other point the Knights and Horsemen were off on the side, with the Furies behind them. And in the alley were the Marauders. He deployed only his Grail Knights on my left flank, and then far over on the right were all three KotR.

Magic: I rolled Tittilating Delusions, Enrapturing Spasms. And Creeping Death and Unseen Lurker (perfect Shadow spells vs Knights). He got protection from missiles.

First Turn (Chaos)
    Movement: I moved everything up. The furies jumped onto the hill, the Horsemen behind them, and the Knights slightly to their left. Moved the Marauders slightly up into the alley. Moved the Sorcerer up.
    On the left I decided to move the minotaurs up. Went up quickly with the hounds, and the Herd went further into the forest.
    Magic: Fizzled.
    Combat: None.

First Turn (Bretonnian)
    Pray

Second Turn (Chaos)
    Movement: I flew the Furies up, march-blocking two squads of knights. The horsemen started going over the hill, and the Knights went to the left at the bottom, waiting for the Knights to charge up the alley. On the other flank I moved the herd up again, and moved the hounds just within the Grail Knight's range.
    Magic: Fizzled
    Combat: None

Second Turn (Bretonnia)
    Movement: He turned his rightmost knights to face my furies.
    Magic: Cast his protection from missiles. I let him.

Third Turn (Chaos)
    Movement: I flew the Furies to the other side of the Knights, march blocking the two squads again. I did silly things on the hill with the Horsemen, trying to keep them out of charge range. I took a gamble and moved the Marauders in charge range of what I hope was now only one squad. On the left my Herd moved up again, out of their charge arc, and I moved my hounds closer. The other squad of hounds finally exited that difficult terrain.
    Magic: None.

Third Turn (Bretonnian)
    Movement: He charged his middle squad of the KotR into the Marauders. The right squad turned to face the horsemen, the left squad failed a charge on the Marauders. The Grail Knights didn't take the bait.
    Combat: Having Helm of Many Eyes I swung first, killing two knights. His Knights hit back and managed to kill a mighty 1 Marauder! I hit back and killed another knight with my marauders. Though I win combat he stays where he is.

Fourth Turn (Chaos)
    Movement: I charge the Chaos Hounds into the front of the Grail Knights. I move the Beast Herd almost all the way up to the Grail Knights. I charge the KotR that are in combat with my Chosen Knights. I charge the right KotR (the ones facing my Horsemen) with the furies.
    Magic: Finally, I manage to send his leftmost KotR off to a point right in front of my Minotaurs, past the middle terrain feature. I then cast Unseen Lurker on the Herd and they charge the flank of the Grail Knights.
    Combat: I completely decimate his KotR with my Knights, Marauders and Hero. I overrun with my Knights. The Furies manage to do a wound to the KotR, though they do two in return. I roll, and take two further wounds, leaving two furies.
    As for the Grail Knigths, I just hoped to hold him until my Giant gets there. In the end, I kill two grail Knights with my Herd and one with my Hounds. In respone they wipe out my hounds. They win combat by one. I hold, but they reform up against my Herd.

Fourth Turn (Bretonnia)
    Movement: He moves his KotR further towards that point.
    Combat: His KotR again fight at my furies, though fail to cause a wound. I kill one more KotR. I lose combat, fail my Ld by 1, and have one fury left. The Grail Knights kill a huge number of the Herd, who then flee. They are allowed to flee, knowing they would not rally.

Fifth Turn (Chaos)
    Movement: I charged the horsemen into the KotR and started to move everything up into a better position. I charge the Minotaurs into the flank of the KotR. I move my Giant to face the Grail Knights. He could not escape their charge next turn.
    Magic: None, though I stupidly forgot to end the Delusions.
    Combat: My Horsemen and the fury together managed to do one wound to a KotR, taking none in return. Trying to kill at least the fury to save face, he does two wounds to it, but both are saved! He breaks, and the lone fury runs them down! The Minotaurs kill three KotR, but they hold, only just.

Fifth Turn (Bretonnia)
    Movement: He charges my Giant.
    Combat: His Grail Knights do 5 wounds to my Giant, and I am quietly confident. But his horse does one more, and I spit and curse. He stupidly overruns towards my knights. The Minotaurs deal three more wounds, and his squad is broken and destroyed.

Sixth Turn (Chaos)
    Movement: I charge my Knights into his. I charge my Minotaurs and the other hounds into his Grail Knights.
    Combat: The Knights and the Minotaurs all but wipe out the Grail Knights who flee, and have the pleasure of being killed by my Knights.

In the end I had:
    3 Characters
    23 Marauders
    5 Chaos Knights
    5 Horsemen
    1 fury
    5 hounds

He had:
    Nothing

Result: Massacre!

A great game. His problem was he played it too safe, allowing my support units to get into great positions to disrupt him. If he had just charged he would have surely done huge amounts of damage. I was particularly impressed by the warhounds and furies. Warhounds are just great for their points, and the furies really performed brilliantly. I thought the daemonic ld tests were awful, but not breaking really paid for itself. I think he was cursed by some severely bad dice rolling as well, but I enjoyed the game.

Current Armies:
    Beasts of Chaos (4000)
    Chaos Marines (3000)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Good Game. Completely massacred a cavalry army.

One thing though, I thought praying to the lady meant your opponent automatically got 1st turn. Not that you sacrificed the entire turn!

The whole extra turn helped you a fair bit.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    Good Game. Completely massacred a cavalry army.

One thing though, I thought praying to the lady meant your opponent automatically got 1st turn. Not that you sacrificed the entire turn!

The whole extra turn helped you a fair bit.
    the way i understand it is when the bret. player prays to the lady, he sacrifices first turn, and gets a ward save for his knights.

cool report! nice win.
    The Emperor Protects

Fists Of Ruin
    For Dorn, and For The Emperor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Nope, lordlink is right your opponent only automatically gerts first turn. What if you were playing another fast army and gave up an enmtire turn, you would be dead by turn 3. It just doesn't make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

As a Bretonnian player, you pray, then the opponent gets to choose whether to first or second. You do not sacrifice your entire first turn.

Peace Yo
    Aaron
    Generic Minis - My Blog

is a Brother of Arterius Bleyden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Yup Pray definitely means he gives up going first, not his whole first turn!

I think this may have been a big reason why you won this game, tell him soon before he loses everygame and gives up on bretonnians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Did he not take the compulsory Battle-standard? or did you simply not mention that one of the 2 Paladins was carrying it?
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

This massacre hardly counts for anything seeing as you had two consecutive turns.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

as has been mentioned previously the massacre isnt as impressive as it should be as he lost a turn he should rightfully have had.

Nevertheless your friend deserved to lose for taking a ridiculous army- does he like getting beaten badly every game? just highlights the need for a bit of balance in a Bret army, and why exactly did he take the damsel- what spell did he select in the end? you should probably stop playing against retards
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Wow, some harsh posts here...

Anyway to start off congrats on your win.

Having gotten that out of the way you did make some mistakes, which is why it's nice to post here and have people look at the game, but considering it was your fist game you made fewer mistakes then some I've seen who have played WH or WH40K for years. I would recomend you have your friend post his list up in the Brit section so he can be guided to a more balanced list and better playing style, but in the end it's his army and as long as you both have fun keep going at it.

+ Reply to Thread