2500pt Dark Elves vs Dwarves. 7th ed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

2500pt Dark Elves vs Dwarves. 7th ed

2500 point Dwarves vs Dark Elves. 7th edition rules
    Dark Elves:
    -Highborn on black dragon.
    -3 level 2 sorceresses (1 on horseback,1 with wand of kharaidon, 1 with dark star cloak, 1 with power stone)
    -2 units of 20 spearmen
    -15 corsairs
    -5 Dark riders (1 mounted sorceress here)
    -10 warriors with crossbows (other 2 sorceresses here)
    -1 Cold one Chariot
    -6 Cold One knights
    -6 harpies
    -3 DoW Ogre Bulls
    -2 Reaper Bolt throwers
    Dwarves: (basic, not 100% sure)
    -Lord, oath stone, rune of swiftness
    -2 Thanes (unsure of items)
    -1 runesmith (rune of power dice stealing :lol: name?)
    -20 warriors
    -25 warriors (Lord here)
    -20 Long beards (runesmith here)
    -20 Iron breakers (Thane here)
    -15 Slayers
    -16 minors
    -1 Gyrocopter
    -1 Organ gun
    -2 Bolt throwers with rune of penetrating & engineers (1 with flame rune to make it legal).
    Scenery:
    Scenery this time saw a more cluttered field than usual. The dwarfs placing a hills on each side to make sure they get one no matter what. (ensures line of sight to blow up chariots with bolt throwers, thats why I only took 1 this time)*& walls on each side to hide behind.
    Dark elves placed a long forest on each flank to advance behind, & a building near the centre, to*provide some cover & respite from the huge disadvantage. dwarves blocked off 1 flank with a hedge though.
    Dwarves won to choose & picked the side with long hill and long walls, placing me on the side with 2 smaller hills and 2 walls blocking room for deployment (dwarves can use them for defence & sit behind them. Attacking elves need to deploy right on the 12" line in front of the walls*to go on the attack, but there was no room in front. 1 unit was forced to deploy behind a wall and advance over it..)
    Deployment:
    We rolled to see who deploys first, I lost & went first,*then I later remember that the player who chooses sides deploys first! (problem with playing both 40k & fantasy :lol

Dark Elves placed a bolt thrower on each small hill. The infantry formed up in the centre, 1 unit of the spearmen hampered by a wall. The Ogres & chariot took places slightly left of them, with the harpies not far behind, ready to pounce.
    Cold one Knights would advance up 1 flank behind the forest, and the Dragon Lord advanced up the other, to avoid being shot to pieces going up the centre.

Dwarves placed both bolt throwers on the long hill, with iron breakers and warriors between them. The organ gun deployed behind the long wall, with warriors and long beards to either side of it. Slayers & Gyro started out further behind the lines.

This is probably the most solid defence situation you will come across in war hammer. At this point I wasn’t liking my chances

TURN 1: Dwarf
    The Dwarves were off to a lucky start, also winning the roll for first turn.
    The bolt throwers opened up, 1 killing 3 spearmen and the other missing. The gyrocopter moved out to the flank where the Cold one knights were.

TURN 1: Dark Elf
    The dark elves wasted no time and set about their advance. The mighty dragon took to the skies and flew down the length of the forest on the left flank, landing at the end, posing a threat but still safely away from the bolt throwers. Likewise the harpies also went airborne, landing on the second story of the ruined building in the centre, ready to swoop down on the Organ gun..
    The Ogres and infantry marched up the centre, including the crossbow unit who were looking to bring their mistresses’ lethal 24” death spells into range.
    The chariot succumbed to stupidity and blundered forwards a short distance.
    The bolt throwers attempted to punch a hole in the near invulnerable iron breakers but both missed their mark.. a costly mistake.
    The magic phase saw several stunties drop dead, overwhelmed by duplicate dark hand of death spells. The life sucked right from their bodies..One thing their thick armour cannot protect them from.

TURN 2: Dwarf
    The Gyrocopter moved up to harass the advancing Cold one knights, buring 1 to a crisp with its flamer.
    The bolt throwers took out a corsair and little else.
    The minors crashed through to the surface, gathering their bearings and eyeing the unsuspecting bolt thrower in front of them, the prepared to charge..
    “Up there!” cried a crew member of the organ gun, spotting the vicious harpies lurking in the shadows of the ruined building. They cranked the cannon around to blow them out of existence, knowing full well that they were the intended victims. Suddenly disaster struck! The gun misfired..

TURN 2: Dark Elf
    Shreeeek! The harpies made their move & sprung forth from the building, swooping down on the gun crew, who stopped franticly trying to repair their faulty weapon to form up and meet the inevitable charge. They readied their axes. The wall provided little protection from threats from above.
    Now confidently safe from organ gun fire, the Dragon Lord flew over the forest to land in front of the building where the harpies previously lurked. Standing in front of the whole dwarf line, daring any foolish enough to step forth and oppose him.
    The rest of the army continued to make good pace, well, except for the ‘intellectually challenged’ chariot which continued to fumble around the field..causing more laughter than fear!
    The harpies faught to a stale-mate with the stout/lucky crew members.
    The bolt throwers and magic continued to pick of stunties, little by little.

TURN 3: Dwarf
    There was little movement in the dwarf lines, confident in their defences.
    1 Bolt thrower struck the dragon but inflicted merely 1 wound.. the dragon snorted at the pathetic toothpick and eyed the crew members..They had sealed their fate.. he would have his revenge soon enough. (they are SO gonna get it!!, How dare they!?:lol
    The harpies felled one of the crew members, taking a loss in return.
    The minors charged into the bolt thrower and killed 1. the remaining crewman turned tail and ran, he was caught and executed.

TURN 3: Dark Elf
    Morkalii, The druchii general glanced over the dwarf lines and eyed a suitable target.
    With a kick of his heels the dragon soared over the defensive wall and crashed into the flank of the warriors to the left of the Organ gun, they stood resolute before the terrifying beast (passed their test).
    The corsairs saw their opportunity, they rushed forth, the nimble elven raiders leaping over the wall and slashing away at the vertically challenged warriors, abundant with confidence at seeing the mighty dragon eating its way into their foes flank, and they were eager to help their lord. They inflicted no wounds but the Dragon slaughtered 6, enough to send them fleeing, the beast took flight once again and caught them, slaughtering them but going off the table.. the dwarves would get 1 turn of respite before the dragon could charge again..
    Magic and shooting continued to do its thing. The long beards & slayers slowly dwindling in numbers as their fellows fell dead in their tracks, hearing the evil incantations carrying in the wind. The minors also payed a price as the unit of crossbows & 2 sorceresses turned to unleash their wrath on them. Left now in a vulnerable positing after the chase.
    The chariot also regained its senses and turned to face the minors. Atleast they are used to being stuck between a rock & a hard place…(bad joke!)

TURN 4: Dwarves
    This turn saw the Gyrocopter continue to whittle down the Cold One knights to just 3.
    The Ogre Bulls caught the attention of the Bolt thrower and it opened fire, only causing 1 wound though. The other reduced the Knights to 2, now not enough to negate ranks for the flank charge they were preparing on the Iron Breakers.
    The last remaining organ gun crewman faught off the vicious harpies, sending them fleeing. He set about fixing his war machine to blast the 'b*tches' in the back next turn for revenge.
    The lord and his large retinue of warriors charged the corsairs who were pinned against the wall after their previous battle. They were defeated and had no-where to run. The Lord showed them no mercy.

TURN 4: Dark Elves.
    The unit of spearmen which had been slowed by the wall had finally reached the fray, charging into the iron breakers who had crept out from the safety of their lines. The remaining 2 knights crashed into the flank nonetheless. The thane on the corner of the unit slew the 2 knights and the spearmen failed to piece the thick armour but stood fast for another round.
    Natural dwarven resistance to magic helped stave off the sorceresses attempt to unleash the black horror upon them.
    Morkalii's Dragon was now finished slaughtering the fleeing warriros and he made his return to the field. taking up positing behind the bolt thrower, unable to charge this turn (oh yes.. you know whats coming!:yes:.. i did forget to use the breath weapon on them though )
    The dwarf lord had left his flank wide open and the Ogre Bulls wasted no time crashing into them. They resisted the impact hits but 4-5 warriors still fell (the new rule of parry only to the front really helps!).
    The lord was caught on the wrong side of the unit as his soldiers were slaughtered, they borke & were cut down. the lords meaty arms made a nice mid-morning snack for the ever hungry behemoths. (i later forgot that ogres get extra victory points for catching units, as they eat them, but this balanced out a bit since he forgot to use his oath stone, which wouldve helped a lot).

Turn 5: Dwarves
    Both of the bolt throwers tried desperately to slay the huge beast approaching to the rear, but alass the lords magical ward save and the dragons toughness meant they were still at half wounds each.
    The Gyrocopter opened its flame cannon up on the side of the crossbowmen, norrowly missing the sorceress as the warriors dived to take the blast & save the mighty wizards. 3 fell dead & crispy.
    The Iron breakers, led by their mighty hero easily sent the spearmen running, but their stumpy little legs made the nimble elves difficult to catch, falling just short.

TURN 5: Dark Elves
    One as ancient as a dragon certainly has no short memory span. When a mans lifetime is merely a heart-beat to the beast, certainly the length of a battle wont see him forget what the bolt thrower did to him. The Wyrm let out a spine chilling roar as it charged up the hill, not even waiting for his lords command. Once again the dwarves withstood the terror, they should've fled..the dragon carved up the 3 crewman and the engineer with ease, taking it's time. Everything is best served cold in the land of Chill, esspecially revenge:shifty:.

Having regrouped, the fleeing spearmen rallied and turned to face the Iron breakers for a second round.
    The bolt thrower tried to lend them a hand before they could make the charge, but missed his mark.
    Infuriated, the sorceresses unleashed a barrage of magical power at the annoying Gyro but failed to bring it down, 1 suffered a backlash of magical energy as a miscast caused her spell to fizzle.

TURN 6: dwarves
    In a rare situation it was the Iron breakers who found themselves in postion to charge, and they did exactly that!
    Having finally braught the organ gun back into working order, it opened up and blasted the remaining 2-3 harpies, who had just rallied, out of existence. Their foul cries will poisen the air no longer.
    (I forgot to mention a while back that the bolt thrower blew up the chariot before it could hit the minors).
    The Gyro had a second attempt at the crossbow unit, scorching another 2-3 warriors.
    The spearmen were once again broken by the Iron breakers, but this time, perhaps short of breath, the elves were caught and executed.

TURN 6: Dark elves.
    Now satisfied with its revenge, the dragon lord left the other nearby bolt thrower crew to ponder their fate as he turned around and charged at the slayers in the other direction. Im sure they'll think twice before shooting at a dragon when next they encounter one.
    The sorceresses tried again to destroy the Gyro but once again misused the magical forces and suffered a miscast. fortunately with little consiquences again.

The Highborn Singled out the Thane amongst the slayers and smote him down upon ground before he could even swing his hefty axe..

Both sides knew enough blood had been spilt and neither of the few remaining units were looking to gain the advantage. They retired from the field to lick their wounds
    ---
    END

The battle ended in a draw. A difference of 100 victory points in favor of the dwarves. The Dark elves could claim a moral victory for slaying the general, but it meant little with the casualties suffered. His head would make a nice trophy on Morkalii's mantle if the Ogres didnt swallow it.

I think a draw was a good result for my DE, considering the dwarves had a huge advantage with scenery (& first turn).
    I dont think I will allow any fortress building with scenery in future. & no hills for a change will only be fair on my poor old chariots

Hope you enjoyed the read

Cheers.

Last edited by Manu_Forti; October 17th, 2006 at 00:55.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Ok so I guess that means people dont like the more 'story-like' battle reports.?

I thought writing it that way gave alot more depth than just "Unit X killed Unit Y.. then Unit Z moved here.."
    But Apparently thats what people prefer? short & simple with just the facts?
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

nice report, but isnt your list illegal? Doesnt' the Dragon take up a hero spot? Just wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Thanks. No I dont think so. The dragon does take up a hero slot, but its 1 lord & 3 heroes AT 2000 points, but I think OVER 2000 its 4 heroes. Havent got my book at the moment.

Even if it is illegal, an extra level 2 still wouldnt balance out the scenery disadvantage lol.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the list is legal at 2000 points ya can have 4 characters of which 1 maybe a lord 2001 to 3000 ya can have 5 characters of which 2 may be lords
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Plague_00 View Post
    the list is legal at 2000 points ya can have 4 characters of which 1 maybe a lord 2001 to 3000 ya can have 5 characters of which 2 may be lords
    No, the list is illegal, he has five character slots from what i can make out (highborn, dragon and three mages)

Plus you can have 6 characters at 3k points

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Yeah I checked it last night, you're right. Oh well, none of the level 2's killed more than a handful of dwarves each so it didnt make up any disadvantage from the scenery
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; October 19th, 2006 at 07:15.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Nice report Manu

I for one like story reports. It makes them more interesting to read. but I like report of any kind in general keep it up.

No need to tell you about your list, as others have already stated it.

eagletsi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hokay the editors might kill me for this but quote:rune of power stealing is called master rune of balance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

'Balance' Haha! thats adding insult to injury considering its the runes that make dwarves overpowered. Oh well..

Glad to hear afew people enjoyed the read
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast