Origins 2007 Game Convention - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Origins 2007 Game Convention

Saturday I did the Warhammer Fantasy tourney at 2150 points with my Dark Elves.

Game 1 was a draw until I lost one Executioner. Rolled a 12 on moral and fled 3 inches giving the Ogre Kingdom a minor Victory. The game had Battle Objectives to score points on and I had them all. (Battle points add into overall score)

Game 2 I faced the Dwarves and nearly massacred them. It was a major victory with me having most battle objectives. He believed in troops and took little war machines, plus he had only a single Runesmith to defend against my Dark Magic. I just simply out maneuvered him.

Game 3 was a Vampire count army with a billion undead troops. Hindsight on this one I should have won, but we ended with a Draw. I killed 1497 points (out of 2150) of his troops to my 886 points lost, but thanks to his fear he had like 5 of my Banners (100 points each). Though, I again took all the Battle objectives. Gotta love Elf speed!

I ended the whole thing in 9th, but I felt robbed by the Ogre (father) and Vampire Counts (son) as the cheesed me on sportmanship points giving me a 2 each out of 7. They were metagaming to hurt everyone's overall scores to better their rankings. Several other players commented on the same actions in their games. If they scored me only slightly better I would have Been 4th or so. Everyone had their tough games as no one won all 3 matches making the sportmanship points VERY vital to the overall scoring.

Overall it was great fun and as it was nice seeing all the armies in action. (24 players)

The tourney winner was an ALL cavalry Bretonian Army that was Master painted.

Force:
    Sorceress level 4, Level 2 and 1 Noble (on Chariot)
    2 X 20 Warrior spearmen units
    1 X 10 Warrior/Repeaters
    1 X 14 Corsairs
    1 X 14 Executioners
    1 X 5 Coldone Knights
    1 X Coldone Chariot
    1 X 5 Dark Riders w/ Spear/Repeaters
    2 X Repeater Bolt Throwers

40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your logic is slightly off there. If the father and son had ranked *you* better in sportsmanship but still given everyone else low scores you would have risen in the ranks. However if they had done the sportsmanship rankings in a more fair manner to everyone it wouldn't have changed your position, except possibly in relation to the father and sons ranking. That wouldn't take you from 9th to 4th though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's so sad hearing about people docking sportmanship scores just to better their own. If they're that intent on winning why are they playing the game? Where's the fun? Makes me wonder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jhurliman View Post
    I think your logic is slightly off there. If the father and son had ranked *you* better in sportsmanship but still given everyone else low scores you would have risen in the ranks. However if they had done the sportsmanship rankings in a more fair manner to everyone it wouldn't have changed your position, except possibly in relation to the father and sons ranking. That wouldn't take you from 9th to 4th though.
    There were 24 people in the Event and 3 games were played per player.

I played them 2 out of my 3 games leaving me with one fairly scored game.

They only had the potential to affect 6 players out of the 24 and I got the pleasure of a double hit (playing each one). I took 2 hits of the possible 6 lowball scores they could give.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

On the tournaments that my groups puts on here in Japan, we do have people rated on Sportsmanship, but it doesn't count towards the overall tournament score. We hold a special Sportsmanship category where the highest rated will recieve a prize.

If I start getting involved in tournaments once I get back to the states, I think I'll ask the judges if they do keep track of who gives what for scores. If you notice one or two people constantly marking everyone low, then you gotta know something is fishy.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Broodstar View Post
    It's so sad hearing about people docking sportmanship scores just to better their own. If they're that intent on winning why are they playing the game? Where's the fun? Makes me wonder.
    Some people can resist penalising armies that have just spanked them.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Thats the problem with tournaments, you usually end up feeling robbed in one way or another.
    Personally I had one scenario which was so lob-sided I never had a chance. Then I got robbed in the painting comp.

Weekend games with a few mates are so much better

Anyway, sounds like you did fairly well. Kudos.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread