General Custom Campaign rules (Comprehensive ruleset) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

2 (x1)

Custom Campaign rules (Comprehensive ruleset)

Hey LO.

JJDW here with a ruleset I've come up with for a campaign I hope to run in my local store. Its nodal based and I've tried to cover all bases. If you guys could give it a read over and point out any flaws, contradictions or unclear rules, please point them out to me.

Set up.

The campaign will (and I know I'll regret this) take place across all of the "European" Old world. Meaning that territories of Brettonia, Wood elves, Empire, Orcs and Chaos at least will be involved, though I may make the Chaos wastes "off the map" for the campaign. It shall be nodal, but with very few bottlenecks and dead ends, meaning there is always room for maneuvering. I may end up making a custom map for it anyway though.

The basic idea is that each player has a points pool. This may be around 10,000 points or so. Each player will have 1 "Capital" and 3 "strongholds". They have the option of placing the strongholds anywhere they like, but the capital shall be in a fixed position determined at the start of the campaign. From their starting positions they may place up to 4,000 in the capital, 2,000 in strongholds and 500 "scouting" units anywhere within their starting areas. Strongholds must always have a 1,000 point force defending them and Capitals 2,000

For simplicity's sake players will not be required to keep the same units on the map, meaning that when a 2k force assaults a new target, they won't be required to have the same 2k force they did last turn.

Strongholds MUST have at least 1,000 points garrisoned. Capitals 2,000 points.

They will however be required to be led by the same character general. Specific characters such as Orion or Karl Franz will be barred, but players are encouraged to name their lords and heroes both to add to the narrative and to keep management easier. A force needs to be led by a character in order for it to move. An army can have 3 character generals, but are not prohibited from taking further characters (i.e. though the wood elf 1000 point force is always led by Hecil the Noble, he can still have a spellsinger). This set-up is 1 Lord leading a 2k force and 2 heroes leading 1k forces. Forces can combine, but must keep their same character generals (I.e. 2 heroes can combine their armies to become a 2k force, but are still prohibited from taking a Lord).

Battles between uneven forces

Often, a larger force may attack a smaller force. In this event then battle resolution is resolved with the battle table more advantageous to the smaller force. Meaning its easier for the smaller force to beat the larger force.

Loosing units.

Winning forces take account of how many points they lost in the preceding battle and deduct every whole 250 point segment from their forces.

When in a controlled settlement friendly forces may replenish their army from their points pool at the beginning of their next turn.

Loosing battles.

Loosing forces take account of how badly they lost. The army compares its new value (rounded down to the nearest 250 multiple) to its original. If the battle victory was close then the army's points are sent into the points pool. In the event of a massacre then half the army's points value is placed into the points pool. Otherwise the entire points value is placed in the points pool.

On the campaign map a loosing force must move to an adjacent node. If all adjacent nodes are occupied by hostile forces then the unit is destroyed.

Loosing Characters.

In the event a character general dies, then not only does this affect the narrative but also his surviving forces, which will slowly drift back to the nearest friendly settlement. It will then stay there until another character general comes to replenish, whereupon it will then join the new general. A new character of equal rank will then be placed at the player's capital.

Sieges in strongholds.

Battles taking place within strongholds or the capital are considered a siege. In this event the defending player ALWAYS has first choice with terrain and first choice to set up. They may not allow the attacking player to set up their units first. In the event that a character general is the defending player, he may add up to 1,000 points to his army total, but heroes are still forbidden from taking Lords.

Sieges in Capitals.

If a battle takes place within an army's capital then a special scenario, terrain and rule set up will occur (think 40k Dawn of war pc game). See example below. In the event that a character general is the defending player, he may add up to 2,000 points to his army total, in this case the player may also take Lords if he wishes (though the character will still be considered the general. This in in contravention of GW rules).

If the capital is taken then the army is considered "broken" and they cannot replenish their forces until they retake their capital. All points in their points pool is halved and non general led units loose 250 points of their value per turn, eventually dispersing once their unit value reaches 0.

Taking settlements.

Every settlement taken or lost, adds or subtracts 1,000 points from the army point pool respectively. Every extra capital taken or lost, adds or subtracts 2,000 points from the army point pool.

Winning the Campaign.

The campaign ends when one army controls over half the total capitals on the map. At this point the army is considered "overwhelming" and they will spread to consume the entire old world.

Now for some examples of play.

Battle in open ground.

Elthuan the Highborn 2,000 point army has attacked Ugruk the Orc's 1,000 point army. As the battle dust clears Elthuan has lost 567 points worth of units. He decreases his army value to 1,500 and adds 500 points to his points pool.

Meanwhile Ugruk the Orc is humiliated by his defeat at the hands of Elthuan. His once pround 1,000 point army lost 713 points. Since the defeat was not a massacre, his army currently valued at 287, is rounded down to 250 points and 750 points are added to the Orc points pool.

Battle in a capital.

Grucgunk the warboss is eager to revenge himself upon Eltuan the highborn for the defeat of one of his lieutenants. He takes his remaining two lieutenants and all 3 attack with a 4,000 strong army (2,000 for the Lord + 2 x 1,000 from two heroes) while Eltuan is replenishing his forces within his capital making his army value 3,500 (1,500 + 2,000 for capital)

Because this is a capital battle, a special scenario occurs. Because Elthuan's capital is located within a deep forest, all clear terrain is now considered "Deep forest" All non-wood elf forces have halved movement, including flyers due to the heavy tree presence and all ranged attacks must roll 1d6. On the event of a 1, the attack misses due to the trees and eerie forest spirits that protect the elves.

All units, even wood elves suffer from reduced vision, calculated as 1.5 X charge range.

The defending player is also allowed to deploy units with the scout ability in the trees above the battleground in their deployment zone, and any attacks made to hit them suffer from -1 to hit. Characters may not be deployed in this fashion.

Normal forests are now "Great trees" and now count as impassible and blocking line of sight.

The warboss has quite the fight on his hands.

2. Remove Advertisements

2 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

22 (x1)

this is a really coll campaign just a few questions
    1. how would the scenario when the battle is at the capital generated? is it random are will all be planned out before the battle
    2. im also abit confused. how are there these 2k forces floating around when it states that away from the capital stronholds there are forces of 500pts, can the stronhold forces move at all?
    3.also would you mind if i used these ideas ive always been trying to find a campaign to do with a few buddies of mine and this seems like awsome fun.

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

2 (x1)

Cheers for the comment. Let's look at your questions.

1. The Scenario would be agreed upon by the player who the province belongs to and the Campaign GM. Such battles will probably follow guidelines such as choosing 3 items from the following list: 1 thing that affects all units on the field. 1 thing that affects just friendly units. 1 thing that affects just hostile units. 1 terrain weapon (such as a strategised avalanche crated by the orcs) and 1 deployment speciality. All bonuses must be accounted for in the narrative, meaning you have to give a reason as to why they affect players the way they do.

2. The only forces that move are units led by character generals. The 500 point units are primarily for slowing down and wounding lieutenants or being emergancy replenishing stocks for generals. They cannot move though so once they are deployed, that's it for the campaign.

3. Please, by all means use these rules. I'll consider you my playtester! If you could tell me how it goes for the players involved and whether most importantly you have fun would be much appreciated. Plust if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

+ Reply to Thread