LO LO Campaign Fluff and Special Special Characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    has a ca-fading facade Jackmoddle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    223 (x4)

LO Campaign Fluff and Special Special Characters

I started this thread as a place where people can create and discuss fluff and perhaps special characters for the ongoing LO Campaign. I like that CaptainSarathai's The Story So Far thread has just him posting the progression so that it's easier to follow along, rather than having to sift through chat and commentary to catch the story, so I figured we could do that here instead. Feel free to add on to any of the content, create or critique characters, and comment on the fluff as it grows so organically it could only be a Wood Elf thing.

Honey badger don't care.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Since I started writing fluff for the LO campaign (link to the fluff battle: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1872941), I've had a desire to create a playable Special character that could be involved in campaign games and perhaps progress as the campaign does. I also wanted a place where I can maybe continue the story of my army and character to show the progression of the Empire in the dark times of the plague.

First, a little background for my fluff. My army is from Helmgart. A small retinue of knights and soldiers guards Helmgart Keep, the lone sentry between Reikland and the dreaded Axe Bite Pass. Deep in the heart of the Reikwald forest, the keep stands guard against a myriad of strange and deadly foes, from the Orcs over the mountains and the Skaven under them, to the hosts of Castle Drachenfels to the South and the Loren Forest to the Southeast.
    The region, due to its dangerous and haunting nature, is home to but a handful of the most hardy woodsmen, rangers and outcasts of the Empire. As such, the soldiers of Helmgart Keep are of the sternest and sturdiest breed, veterans of many forest skirmishes and steeled against the most fearsome foes. They are also a superstitious lot, and are often joined by warrior priests, fervent servants of Sigmar. Worship of Morr, god of death, is also common, as is to be expected from soldiers who expect to live short lives.
    During times when the keep is threatened, Helmgart calls for aid from the nearby capital of Altdorf. Its proximity to the Empire’s seat of power means that the Emperor does not hesitate to send out the most elite reinforcements to ensure the border is safeguarded. Helmgart is bolstered by companies of the Reiksguard knights, sometimes even graced with the presence of the Reiksmarshall in times of dire need. The Reiksguard have been trained to fight on horseback with lance and on foot with great swords, since the mixture of forest and open fields requires tactical flexibility, and they are flanked by the upstart young nobles of the kingdom, riding on horseback armed with pistols and a thirst for a proving ground against chaos.
    The juxtaposition of the hardened soldiers of the Helmgart and the sometimes ostentatious knights of the Reik can be jarring at times, but is aided by the presence of the Arch Lector of Altdorf, who misses no opportunity to fight alongside such devoted soldiers in the defence of the Pass. Added to the mix are the White Wolf knights, who often prowl the woods in search of Chaos and a place to test the blood of their newest initiates. Together, and with the artillery and guns of the keep at their back, these allies stand strong against the invading forces of Chaos.

Things have changed for Helmgart with the coming of the Black Plague, and there'll be a progression of fluff to outline that. I'll get on that when I get a chance. Right now I want to get your opinion on my special character, Eneric. He's my fluff character- if you want to read about him, click on the fluff battle link above. He is going to evolve similar to Valten, with different levels to field him at. His story at first is that he is just an average patrolman with no special background who encounters the Undead forces moving on Helmgart and is escaping to alert the Lords of the keep. He has no special skills or equipment except for a simple ring that he wears on a chain around his neck that even he does not remember how he came into possession of. He hasn't figured out how yet, but the ring protects him when he is threatened, and allows him to unleash destruction on Undead foes by tapping some inner strength, perhaps willpower or faith.

The point of Eneric is for him to start off as a regular Joe with low stats and become stronger as he learns to understand and harness the source of the power within the ring (or within himself?). He's intended to be moderately survivable and offer small magical and combat bonuses so as to be worth fielding, but still be cheap enough to take. Let me know what you think, and how I should tweak his pointage. I'm new to character building.

75 Pts M WS BS S T W I A Ld
    Eneric the Messenger 4 3 3 3 3 2 3 1 7

Equipment: Eneric is equipped with light armour, and either a halberd or a hand weapon and a shield.
    The Stranger's Ring: One use only. At the beginning of any Close Combat phase, Eneric may decide to use the ring. The ring automatically casts the Soulfire prayer, which is resolved after impact hits but before other close combat attacks. In the phase where Eneric uses the ring, he adds +1 to combat resolution.
    Enigmatic Ward: Eneric has a 6+ Ward Save, and enemies are at -1 to hit him in close combat.
    Last edited by Jackmoddle; November 5th, 2011 at 08:47.
    Honey badger don't care.

Senior Member Librarian Zahariel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

I like this idea. How does that compare to the price of a normal Empire HQ option? I only have the Warriors and Wood Elf army book so have no frame of reference to compare the costing etc
    When he progresses what stats will be buffed, WS/BS/W/I/A/Ld? I'm assuming S3/T3 will be stay the same (unless he falls to Chaos, yay ) and perhaps opening up magic item options when he reaches a significant level. Also at what point will you decide that he has learned enough to get a boost?

Right onto my character, Tsolmon, a young marauder warrior: "More fluff to follow as i'm at work and should actually, you know be working or something I suppose!"
    75pts M WS BS S T W I A LD
    Tsolmon 4 4 3 3 3 2 4 2 7

Equipment:
    Hand Weapon
    Light Armour

Special Rules:
    The Will of Chaos
    Dedication - Once per game, when Tsolmon kills his first enemy model in combat he dedicates that kill to the Gods of Chaos and is allowed to make a roll on the Eye of the Gods table. However as he is still just a marauder and not even a champion he must roll 2D6-2. This represents the fickle nature of the Gods in regards to those aspiring to Daemonhood.

Additional Eqipment:
    Can be given a Warhorse.....8pts
    Can swap Hand weapon for Spear.....Free
    Can swap Hand weapon for Flail.....Free

So basically i've given him +1A and +1W and the special rule Dedication which I have just made up! Thoughts on costing and rule?
    Last edited by Librarian Zahariel; November 5th, 2011 at 16:59.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Just realized I named the thread totally wrong. Any way to change that?

Quote Originally Posted by Librarian Zahariel View Post
    I like this idea. How does that compare to the price of a normal Empire HQ option? I only have the Warriors and Wood Elf army book so have no frame of reference to compare the costing etc
    I actually think his costing might be off. Hard to tell. He's got the stats of a basic soldier exept for the 2 wounds. The basic Captain Hero choice has WS 5, S 4, T4, I 5 and 3 Attacks for 50 Pts. My guy has none of these basic stat bonuses so technically without the special rules he should be worth about 15 Pts, compared to 5-6 Pts for a similar guy (Adding a wound I assume is a pricey upgrade). The 6+ Ward is worth 15 and the -1 to hit is worth about 10 (Might be worth more on a big character, but here it's only a minimal defence). I could always swap the two separates for a 5+ Ward (worth 30), which would give him a 4+ in CC with his parry. Mathematically, it's about the same. The Stranger's Ring rule is the part that's hard to judge, because it casts automatically. A one-use bound item of this level goes for 20, so I'd say that an auto cast plus combat res must be at least 30 or 40 Pts. So, altogether, that adds up to around 75. I just think that with this guy's killability despite his ward and the small one-use bonus that he brings to combat, he can't be worth more than 75. Kourgan for the DE is worth 75, has 1 wound, but brings lots of bonuses. Eneric is around that level; he's fluffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Librarian Zahariel View Post
    When he progresses what stats will be buffed, WS/BS/W/I/A/Ld? I'm assuming S3/T3 will be stay the same (unless he falls to Chaos, yay ) and perhaps opening up magic item options when he reaches a significant level. Also at what point will you decide that he has learned enough to get a boost?
    He levels up at lvl. 16, and again at lvl. 32. But actually, his stats will remain similar, since I want to follow a short timeline during the plague as he defends Helmgart against immediate undead threats. He'll get boosted through minor things like a small magic weapon given to him. Also, he'll improve control of his talents. He'll get a boosted ward and increased ability to cast his spell. These bonuses hopefully will take him to the character I want him to be. He's supposed to be a minor nuisance that can't really fight but can kill some models (specifically undead) with his special ability. As a nuisance, I want him to be the target of enemy attacks and soak them up, boosting combat res. I have to balance his abilities with a still low points cost so I won't be afraid to field him. More to come once I update the story fluff to the current point.
    Honey badger don't care.

+ Reply to Thread