Librarium Online Forums banner

Captain&Anti's: BATTLEFIELD OF DEATH!

13K views 96 replies 9 participants last post by  CaptainSarathai 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, since the Site Campaign sort of sputtered and died and I killed it (it was all my fault, I'm still sorry) I have decided to - with the help of Antithesis - set up and run a smaller Arena of Death based on the campaign's premise of using a combination of a Regiment and Character. The rules can be found HERE, in case you are wondering why things look so strange, why battles go as they do, or if anyone would like to give running one of these a shot themselves in the future. So without further ado, our unit entries will be made public. Anti and myself are both participating, with each rolling fights opposite the other, for fairness. So here it goes:

mpdscott
Grim-Gore Cleave-Maime an'iz Boyz (Orcs'n'Gobs)
Orc Warboss w/ Sword of Striking, Armor of Fortune, Potion of Speed, Warboar and Shield
-197pts
9 Boar Boy Big'Uns w/ Shields, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
-248pts

Antithesis
Hung Lo's WoC'n'Roll (WoC)
Exalted w/ Daemonic Steed, Enchanted Shield, Luck Stone, Potion of Toughness, Gold Sigil Sword
-200pts [EOTG 1,2,5]
3 Skull Crushers w/ Ensorcelled Weapons, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant
-249pts

Karl Stahlfeld
Warlord Skirritch and the Rabid Rabbit Hunters (Skaven)
Skaven Warlord w/ Shield, Fellblade
-193pts
30 Plague Monks w/ Standard Bearer and Banner of Plague
-250pts

Sir Spamalot
Lord Volker and the King's Guard (VC)
Vampire (Hero) ampire (Hero) w/ Nightshroud, Seed of Rebirth, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare, Dread Knight, Fear Incarnate, Beguile
-221pts (with 35pt credit for magic level)
15 Grave Guard w/ Full Command, Greatweapons, Banner of the Barrows
-250pts

A'zreal
Valnir the Conqeuror and the Brass Fist of the Skulltaker Legion (WoC)
Exalted w/ MoK, Halberd, Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Barded Chaos Steed
-180pts [EOTG 1,4,6]
3 Skull Crushers w/ Ensorcelled Weapons, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant
-249pts

CaptainSarathai
Master Haefnir's Harem (DE)
Master w/ Heavy Armor, Shield, SeaDragon Cloak, Dark Pegasus, Chill Blade
-182pts
15 Sisters of Slaughter w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant
-250pts

And there you have it folks. For those playing Warriors, your 3D6 EotG roll is show - pick 2 for your EotG result (no rerolls). PM me or simply post it. I will make your choice public either way.

See less See more
#3 ·
well my general is screwed..... sigh... Dark Elves AND Chaos make up half the armies as well as a vamp with ASF.... so he's got one chance, against the ork dude, to prove his worth.
The Council of Thirteen is not impressed

#6 · (Edited)
Now I have a Nurgle Chaos Lord (WS8). Ho Ho Ho... EDIT: Can Hero-level Vampires legally take 80 points of magic items?
Urgh, I see what I did... I already had Nightshroud on, and when I opened up the rulebook to look at magic items, seemed to think 'right, I have 50 to spend'. So... Either this ends up awesome, and my 35 point rebate can be added ontop of my 50 point allowance, or I need to throw something else together quickly :p I'll write another one up just incase, until we hear back from captain. Edit: This one's completely legal, and I also think I prefer it (why have ASF when Nightshroud gives everyone ASL anyway? :p) Vampire (Hero) w/ Nightshroud, Seed of Rebirth, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare, Dread Knight, Fear Incarnate, Beguile -221pts (with 35pt credit for magic level)

#12 ·
It´s much more satisfying when one´s enemies cling to the illusion of hope moments before you crush them.

#17 ·
Round 1 Pairings:
:: MPD vs Anti
:: Karl vs Spammy
:: Capt. vs Azrael (Anti rolls and writes)

If anyone would like to write up a battle, let us know by Monday so that we can get you the early results. We'd obviously prefer if you did not write your own fight, that way you can't go making your opponent look like a fool, or your unfortunate general come off as some sort of tragic hero. Planning on having all the fights rolled and written by Friday. If we finish early, there's a chance we'll start the next round ahead of schedule.

Good luck everyone!
(except you, A'zreal ;))

#21 · (Edited)
ROUND ONE: Capt vs. A'zreal

CaptainSarathai vs. A'zreal

Master Haefner awoke well-rested, and carefully disentangled himself from the various arms, legs, and other parts of the dozen naked young women lying around on the furs of his pavilion. Three days of monotonous rain and no-one to battle had forced them all to devise their own entertainment. Suddenly, there was a super-audible whistle blast from one of the sentries.

“I feel like a damn dog with those things Master Heifner” Kardashia, the youngest, groused.

“Please, there’s no need to be formal my lovely. Just call me Master” replied Heifner, with a slight leer as she and her comrades bent over to strap on their various steel small-clothes. Once outside, the entire company was immediately soaked to the bone in the downpour. The order to spread-out was issued (and a few sultry rejoinders came back). Then the entire encampment was silent, poised to spring into action against the incoming threat. Haefner mounted Phalasi, his dark pegasus and unsheathed his well-polished sword.

This was much more entertaining than the intrigues at Naggarond, Heifner thought to himself. Pretending to worship Khaine while secretly following Slaanesh was a tedious deception which had had to be maintained at all times to ensure his house’s political standing. The brief stop at the fighting pits in the port of Karond Kar had been well-worth it. The Sisters came without the puritanical morals of the Witch Elves, and had far more experience when it came to hand-to-hand combat. It was incredible what a young lady with a whip could accomplish when she put her mind to it.

Faintly at first, but with alarming amplitude, the earth began to tremble. Whatever was coming, it was coming fast and was extremely heavy. As if on cue, 4 massive shadows appeared in the rain-fogged distance but within seconds they had closed the gap to the point where the gilded crimson plate of Khorne was clearly visible through the spray. Haefner surged forward and met their general on the left-flank leaving the Sisters to deal with the three hulking companions. Whips lashed out across the space with a shriek of razor on plated steel as the two commanders met midfield.

His opponent was a massive brute of a mortal with forearms thicker than an elf’s thigh. Eschewing shield in favor of raw aggression, the thug wielded a huge halberd that made the elf-master’s blade look flimsy by comparison.

“Nice pig-sticker.” Rumbled the peasant, and the elvish bade bounced off his double-plated gorget, polder, and codpiece in quick succession. Several centuries of experience soon paid off however, as the final stroke rammed into the man’s eye-slit.

“Thank-you kindly, young mortal” replied Haefner “One uses it to keep uneducated swine such as yourself in check. Please try not to bleed on me too much whilst you die.” And with a brisk about-face the master wheeled around to ride back to the camp.

Round 1
Master
to hit: 2(1), 4(2), 4
to wound: autowound
armor save: 5, 2
ward save: 2
result: 1 wound
toughness test: 4

Exalted
to hit: 1, 1, 2, 5, 6
to wound: 5, 6
armor save: 4, 6

Dark Pegasus
to hit: 3, 5
to wound: 1

Chaos Steed
to hit: 4
to wound: 1

Sisters of Slaugher (5x3) lost charge (15)
to hit: 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6(1), 6(1)
to wound: 2, 2, 3(1) 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6(1)
armor save: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5
result: 3 wounds

Chaos Knights (2) won charge (18)
to hit: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 6
to wound: 1, 4
ward save: 3

Juggernauts (2)
to hit: 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 6
to wound: 3, 5, 6, 6
stomp wounds: 2, 5
ward save: 1, 1, 2, 4, 4, 5
result: 3 wounds

Combat Res:
WoC: charge, 5 wounds, banner
DE: 1 supporting rank, 4 wounds, banner
break test DE (steadfast ld9): 1, 2 HOLD

Valnir’s entire existence was a world of pain, though fortunately the sword hadn’t made it deeper into his brain. A blade to the eye is never a pleasant experience though, and that arrogant fop had laced his weapon with some kind of magic. Ten thousand bloody hells! Khorne hated pansy elves, hated his brother Slaanesh even more, and hated god-rotting Magic the most! Gradually fury began to surpass agony as the exalted dropped his halberd to yank the sword out of his helm with both hands.

“Come back here, little elf” he growled “I’m not finished with you.”

With a leap that defied his bulky armor, the paragon of Khorne landed behind a very surprised elf, tearing off his helm and almost breaking his neck in the process. The master replied with a painful twist to face his foe, striking hard and fast at close quarters with two vicious-looking curved daggers. Valnir barely noticed as he thrush a gauntlet into the elf’s mouth, and with a tremendous heave, pulled away the entire jaw and half the trachea in a spectacular fountain of blood.

“You have a fine tongue there” he said to the wildly flailing figure in its gurgling death-throes. “Think I’ll feed it to my hounds!”

Back at the dark elf camp, Valnir discover that the Brass-Fist has lost a few fingers in the battle. One of his companions lay strangled to death with 5 dead women around him and his mount was nowhere to be seen. With a casual gesture, Valnir raised the tongue of the dead master into the air. There was a soft moan of disappointment from the ten surviving females as they dropped their weapons into the mud.

Round 2
Master
to hit: 1(2), 5(2), 6(3)
to wound: autowound
armor save: 6, 6

Exalted
to hit: 2, 3, 4, 4, 4
to wound: 1, 1, 3, 4
armor save: 1, 3
result: 2 wounds
GENERAL IS SLAIN

A'ZREAL WINS THE ROUND

COMMENTS
Pretty fast and brutal. Capt. was very lucky to kill an entire juggernaut, but A'zreal's S7 general made short work of any armor-saves and three wounds just weren't enough on the day - though it could have gone either way had he failed the toughness test.

#24 · (Edited)
Two quick questions. Did you give the master re-rolls to hit due to ASF?

The re-rolls are in brackets ie. 6(2) = originally 2 re-rolled to 6. Also had to re-roll 1's to wound. Dark Elves....a lot of re-rolling.

and I guess the EotG roll was +1 S for the exalted or else he should only be S6.

Yes, he chose 10 for his EotG roll.

Nice write up!
Dan
Thanks, I included all the results, just in case people spot something I missed (but I also checked with Capt. first before starting the write up).

EDIT: The master has I7, which is the same as an exalted, so gets re-rolls with ASF as posted. And I did give the Skullcrushers the correct number of attacks/stomps (one was already dead remember).

#28 ·
I forgot to mention: awesome fluff their Anti.

Just out of curiosity would anyone else be interested in doing some kind of "ragtag mercenary band" style rp? I've seen them be really successful on other sites and I've been totally unable to find a place to get my fix of WHFB RP. I'd be a horrid GM/DM but if someone is willing to run it I'd LOVE to participate.

#31 ·
I might be willing to work out some kind of WHFRP style game at some point. We'll see how I feel after we wrap up this arena, yeah? Maybe another member would like to handle it - I know that if VisitorQ is still around, he's very much into the RPG aspects of the hobby.

Anyways, here are my two battles for you all! Separate posts of course.

#32 · (Edited)
Karl Stahlfeld vs. Sir Spamalot

Skirritch flinched as the hooves of the Juggernauts roared past him. Two days of rain had turned the battleground into a muddy swamp, but it seemed to do nothing to slow the roving bands of cavalry patrolling the wastes. The warlord and his small party had been laying low in a foetid ditch, searching for their first target.
A crunching of bones and snapping of sinews startled Skirritch, he quickly leaped over top of one of his [presently] loyal bodyguard, tossing the Plague Monk in the direction of the noise - a barrier between himself and whatever foul chaos-beast was no doubt descending upon him. Daring to look at the attacker, Skirritch saw only another of the monks, chewing on a bit of meat. Withering beneath Skirritch's commanding gaze, the monk loosed his grip on his rabbit-snack.
Beyond the pest of a rodent, Skirritch saw a lone figure riding a pale horse through the morass. A heavy, tattered cloak covered it's features, but Skirritch was certain that it was alone, and that's all that mattered. The pack-leaders sensed their warlord's intent, and turned to gaze at the loner themselves. Foam formed at the corners of their mouths, and their eyes glazed over. Skirritch felt the building, seething madness around and was swept up. The rats burst out from the ditch, Skirritch making sure to stay just a few paces behind.

"Sqe-sqe-sqe-sqe KILL!!"

Lord Volker smelled the vermin before he saw them. In a fluid motion he tore away his traveling cloak to expose the full majesty of his ancient wargear and put spurs to his mount. He needed no bodyguard in these wastes - at a simple gesture, more than a dozen fallen warriors heaved themselves up from the muddy earth, each wight ready to obey his command.
-----------------

Charge:
Spammy: 4,5 +4 = 13
Karl: 5,4 +5 = 14

Fear! test: Ld7 +3 (ranks) : 5,5 pass. Reroll (Fear Incarnate) 4,1 pass
Beguile test: Ld7 +3 (ranks) -3 (Beguile) : 1,5 pass

Vampire: 4,4,4,2
--To Wound: 3,6,6
--Armor: 1,6,5 (2 Wounds)

Nightmare: 2

Warlord: 6,4,2,4
--To Wound: 5,2,6
--Armor: 2,1 (1 wound)
--Seed: 6 (passed)

Plague Monks (with Banner of Plague activated, 6x5): 2,3,4,1,4,6,3,6,2,2,1,4,5,6,3,2,3,5,1,1,6,4,6,1
---Rerolls To Hit: 1,5,3,6,6,5,1,6,2,1,3,6,3
--To Wound: 2,3,5,1,5,1,6,1,4,6,6,3,1,6,5,3,4
---Rerolls To Wound: 6,2,4,5,2,3,1,5,3,3
--Armor Saves: 2,3,6,5,4,6,5,4,2,2 (6 Wounds)

GraveGuard 3x5: 4,2,4,5,5,1,5,1,2,5
-- To Wound: 5,3,5,3,5,1 (5 Wounds)

Spammy: 7W + Banner = 8CR
Karl: 6W + 3 Ranks + Banner + Charge = 11CR
Unstable at -3
Vampire: 1,5 (6+3 = 9, -7 = 2 Wounds)
------------------
Skirritch saw the change in circumstances immediately. The rat turned on his heels and tried to escape back towards the ditch, through the press of furry bodies still haplessly charging their superior foe. It was no use, the Vampire was upon him in the blink of an eye, and Skirritch's head exploded with pain, and he toppled into the mud.
The rat couldn't raise himself, something heavy and awkward was lodged in his shoulder. A lance? He was going to die. He could see the Vampire drawing his blade and preparing for a final pass. Behind him, he could hear his Plague Monks vainly fending off the armored wights. He had to get the lance out of his arm. He tugged ineffectually, and squeaked in agony. Escape. He had to get the lance out, and escape. One more tug - the lance came free, and Skirritch's world went black.
------------------------------

R2
Beguile Test: 5,2 (Passed)

Vampire: 4,4,5,2
-- To Wound: 4,5,4
-- Saves: 2,5,4 (3W, Skirritch is Dead, Spammy Wins)

#36 ·
Yep, in the rules I pointed out that if Vampires are not part of their unit (he's on a Nightmare, and therefore Flying - can't join anyone) they will test for Crumble separately from their unit. But believe me - that Vampire is nasty. It really could have gone either way, and I was half expecting one or the other characters to just obliterate the opponent in the first round. The fact that I even had to roll for the units was almost disappointing, really.

#34 ·
sure had me scared Sarathai... especially after he survived the first round... Now that I realize that everyone has 2 wounds I should've taken a different weapon and some armor, but oh well... lol

#35 · (Edited)
Antithesis vs. mpdscott

"It's... paradise"
Hung-Lo whispered as he and his three companions - Sum, Ting, and Wong - thundered through the massive Cathayan gates and out into the wastes.

They had been riding nonstop for three days. On the third day, they saw shapes on the horizon - a rival warband, mounted on large steeds. With neither word nor signaled command, Hung-Lo steered the group towards these new arrivals.
Orcs.
Hung-Lo was Cathayan, he had seen the raiders of Hob-Gobla Khan, the goblin wolf-riders who lorded over the steppes beyond the gates. These however, were Orcs. Massive ones, nearly Black Orcs in stature. They sat hunched on the haunches of massive, mean-looking boars. Their leader was at the forefront, the biggest and meanest of the brutes. The Orc's massive, knobby green head turned and fixed it's gaze upon Hung and the three juggernauts. A big, fangy grin spread across the giant's features.

Cleave-Maim held the Chaos-Boyz in 'is gaze, sizin' 'em up fer a fight. Dey was big. Bigger'n Orcs. But not betta. Nuffin was better'n Orcs, 'specially not Cleave-Maim's ladz. Cleave Maim spotted a hill not too far away - a good place ta fight if eva der wuz one. He grinned his biggest, toofiest, Orciest grin at da "Metal-Mushas" and kicked his boar 'ard. He let out a hearty laugh, and da race wuz on!

Hung-Lo's laughter gurgled in his barrel chest. He coughed a bit of phlegm and then put spurs to his own steed. If it was a race that these greenskins wanted, then a race they'd get.

The two warbands surged across the plains, their steeds tearing great furrows in the soddy ground. The air was thick with boar-slobber, Orc-slobber, curses, and mud. A low wall of battlefield debris lay off to one side. The Orcs pressed in, forcing the Chaos Knights into the obstacle. Hung-Lo's pix-riddled steed jumped clear of the barricade with ease. Sum, Ting, and Wong hurtled through it in a shower of sparks and splinters, scattering the junk like leaves to the wind. Cleave-Maim could admire that, da Chaos Boyz did 'av nice boars, ter say da least.

Cleave-Maim tried ta be sneaky, and gestured for tree uv 'iz boyz ter "even da odds" a bit. The trio of Orcs jumped from their boars and tackled Ting to the ground. The rest hurtled loose rocks, choppas, and whatever else was at hand toward da Chaos Boyz. Hung-Lo barely turned in the saddle to see Ting hit the ground heavily. The knight rolled to his feet, and immediately rushed the nearest Orc. He would be fine, Hung-Lo returned to the race at hand.

Cleave-Maim growled, despite his wiliest evvorts, da Chaos Boyz wuz still in da lead. Before they reached the hill however, Hung-Lo and his companions veered hard into the Orc ranks. Bodies went flying, with Orcs and boars alike toppling and rolling past Hung-Lo. Cleave Maim howled with glee - the race had been getting boring, and at least now there was a proper fight. He laid about with his cleava, hardly caring what he hit, as long as each swing was greeted with a healthy (and no doubt fatal) thud. As da Chaos Boyz Boss closed in on him, he kicked and lashed out with his hob-nailed boots, keeping the gigantic warrior at bay while spurring faster towards the hill top. The Orc swigged from a vial of some mystery-liquid, and rained down blows against Hung-Lo, denting and scraping his armor, but inflicting no damage.

Around them though, the ranks were thinning. Orc Boyz were toppling like nine-pins as Sum and Wong rode amongst their ranks. A severed leg here, a lopped arm or head there. Riderless boars jostled alongside, the entire menagerie caught up in a single, spectacular gory stampede towards the objective.

-------------
Charges:
Anti: 2,6,6 +7 (19)
mpd: 1,2,5 +8 (15)

Heroes:
Exalted: 1,2,2,3
--Wounds: 6
--Saves: 4 (0 wounds)

Warboss: 5,4,6,6
--Wounds: 5,6,1,3
-- Saves: 6 (0 Wounds)

Daemonic: 1,3
Boar: 3

Crushers: 3,2,3,1,2,5,4,6,5
--Wounds: 3,4,3,5,2,5
--Saves: 6,3,3,4,5 (3 Wounds)

Boars (6): 3,1,4,2,6,1
--Wounds: 5,6
--Saves: 2,1 (1 Wound)

Juggers: 4,3,1,5,3,3,1,4,6
--Wounds: 3,6,4,3,4,1,6
--Saves: 6,2,5,2,2,3 (5 Wounds)

Big’Uns (6 + Champ): 3,1,6,6,2,5,1
--Wounds: 4,2,5
--Saves: 2,3 (0 Wounds)

Resolution
Anti: Charge, 8W, Banner = 10
mpd: 1W = 1
mpd Break: 1,3 Broken. Anti Wins.
-----------------

Something heavy clubbed into Cleave-Maim's head, and the Warboss toppled from his boar, into the mud. He was dragged by the stirrup for a few extra feet, before finally slipping the harness and grinding to a halt. His Boyz were in disarray, and da Chaos Boyz thundered over the hill and into the distance. The Warboss sat up, propped against his arms. He spat out gob of blood a toof, rooted in the mud to find it, and tucked it into his pocket. He'd repay those Chaos Boyz, soon enough. But not today. Today he had lost. Cleave-Maim fell back into the mud as his boyz rallied around him. He blinked towards the sky, and let out a heaving guffaw.

"Dis iz PARADISE!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.