Breaking from units of equal US - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breaking from units of equal US

Hello

In the past two games I've lost combat or have fled from two units both with the same US. In the event that they are charging from different directions..what determines which unit I run away from?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

BRB p. 40, 2nd to last paragraph - you dice for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about if you are being charged from opposite directions and opt to flee? Which way do you run?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

hhmmm.

I don't know if you ignore the units your in contact with or not but I think that if your in that situation then you are :hump: .
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Otissimo View Post
    What about if you are being charged from opposite directions and opt to flee? Which way do you run?
    You always flee from the highest unit strength. You D6 roll in case of a tie... but if you're getting charged from opposite directions and choose to flee, you will be running right towards one of them... And if they are US-5+, you will be destroyed either when you touch them, or when they make it to you with their charge move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The only exception to this is that units that break and flee from multiple combat are allowed to move through any of the enemy units they were fighting (as in the case of a unit defeated by two enemies, one to it's front and one to it's rear), in the same way described above" BRB pg.41

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok clarify this for me. say the unit flees through one of the enemy units it was fighting, and this unit elects to pursue it. does the pursuer have to roll over the flee distance to catch them or do we take into account that its got about a 2-3 inch headstart in the case of most ranked up units si it doesnt have to match the flee roll but just end up in the same place as the flee-er
    Raaaah (''') `';,,,;'` (''') i am your lord bow before me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know when it comes to breaking and pursuing that it's all about the dice rolls whereas fleeing from a charge is all about distance...SO

If the roll of the pursuer is less than that of the breaker yet it still overlaps them I'd think the persuing unit would be placed 1" behind the breaking unit.

I could be wrong, however.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

You are correct, you would stop 1" away - it even has a picture example in the rulebook somewhere, or maybe the FAQ. (I'm at work )

One thing I see played incorrectly quite often is the difference between fleeing from a charge & breaking from combat when it comes to catching units.
    - Fleeing from a charge? You move your fleeing models before you check ranges to see if your opponent can catch you. Even if you wouldn't get out of their charge range, you could potentially flee over another unit of yours (and save them from being caught).
    - Breaking from combat? You compare dice before you take a single step. If the winner rolls >= loser, they are cut down before moving at all. If they do not catch, the loser moves away and the enemy then pursues their full move distance - but would stop 1" away if it would hit the original opponent that broke (for example, a unit fighting to front & flank flees, the unit that was flanking could physically touch them with a much lower roll than needed to run them down).

+ Reply to Thread