Skaven Lead from the Back - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Skaven Lead from the Back

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I should have posted this in Skaven, but I'm posting it here... I hope someone can help. Skaven characters can choose to lead from the back, this much I understand.

If you have chosen to put a character in the front ranks, when would be the proper timing to be able to move him to the back? Or is it so that if you start with him in the front he must stay there? That doesn't seem right, since they can be moved to the back from refusal of challenges, or joining a new unit, etc. Since they cannot leave and join the same unit in one turn, how would you go about making this switch?

Is it something obvious that I am not seeing, would it fall under some sort of reform? It seems slightly harsh that a character could quickly get to the back in refusing a challenge, but not be able to get back there under normal circumstances without costing the troop a good amount of its movement. It's not too hard to come up with fluffy reasons, but I just wanted a clear cut answer.

Thanks for any help guys, as it doesn't quite mention this switch from leading in the front to the back anywhere that I can see.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I think you would just move him in the movement phase, under remaining moves. Seems the most sensible answer.
    Moving to the back from challenge refusal is slightly different, as then you cant use their Ld that turn then and are moved bact to the front afterwards. But during normal movement you can move characters in units however you like so long as their position is within the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Actually, Skaven refusing a challenge CAN use their leadership, and don't have to move back afterwards, they are even free to just walk out of combat, from what I can gather, if they would like. They have a special rule about all this, but I just couldn't figure out if there was anything on how to move them to back under normal circumstances, thanks for the input though, I think that might be when they get to do that move, as well.
    Last edited by Sangren; August 21st, 2007 at 23:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During a turn the skaven character can move freely within the unit or leave the unit even if it is in combat (but may not join a unit in combat). As normal, as stated in BRB, this cannot allow the character to move more than double their move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Okay... so your wording leads me to believe you are definitely only talking about the skaven player's movement phase, and I will assume that to be the final verdict, as that seems to be the consensus. Thanks guys.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

That is correct, you are free to move characters around within a unit during your own movement phase for no cost. Be it shifting around in the front rank, moving to the back, etc. And you can also have a character "join" a unit in the back rank - it's just not generally a good thing for anyone except potentially skaven.

Also, while a Skaven character is free to leave an ongoing combat, he can only do so if he's *NOT* in a fighting rank. If he's engaged, he cannot leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. In fact if the character is engaged in combat they may not move to the back rank either. The only way for the character to leave the fighting rank is to refuse a challenge. However, that character is returned to the fighting rank at the end of that close combat phase. This means that once there, there is no way out. Even for skaven.

Generally, place chieftans and warlords in the back rank from the outset and use them for leadership. Plague lords stay up front. Casters should be placed in the front rank for LoS until it looks like the unit will be charged next turn. In all cases apart from plague lords, get your characters out of any combat that isn't going your way.

I use this mainly with engineers, where they use the safety of numbers of a unit, but can still get LoS. Just before the charge drop back. Once the unit engages / turn before drop them out of the unit to unleash warp lightning on the following combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Good advice overall... but only one thing wrong in your post, as I said earlier, if you have the army book on you, the skaven who refuses a challenge has the choice to do several things the next turn, including going back into the front rank, staying in back, or even leaving the combat altogether. It's fairly clearly stated in the special rules section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Afraid not Sangren. The rule is that if a unit is engaged in combat at the start of its turn and the character isn't in b-2-b , then it gets the option of moving about/out of the unit. If they're in b-2-b then they can't.

Rules for refusing challenges is that they move to a non-fighting rank, lose any bonuses (leadership etc.), then move back to the fighting rank at the end of that combat phase.

Skaven can choose the charcter to move to the back and the character doesn't suffer any further penalties. Hence, they may still use abilities (leadership etc.). However, moving back to the fighting rank at the end of the CC phase isn't a penalty, merely an action.

Thereofre, once in combat the character always begins their turn in combat, and b-2-b, preventing the use of the rule to bail out.

+ Reply to Thread