terrain size - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: terrain size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

terrain size

when placing terrain there is the 12" bubble of no man's land in the middle of the field... but is there any printed restriction as to the size of terrain that one puts down? can one lay down a 48" x 48" forest as long as it is outside the middle 2ft. zone? or throw down an impassable crevasse from a table edge to the middle open area? i'd love to know the official ruling on terrain size... if any...

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

You've got to be sensible with it - a 4ft by 4ft forest would be silly. Really you want terrain to be at most 8" x 8" for large buildings, hills and woods.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

As a rough guide, the total amount of terrian you use in a game should cover roughly 1/4 of the battlefield, with no piece being more than 8" x 8" ish as Rork said.

Ofcourse if play at my local GW then youll be using woods made by the staff, each measuring about 12" x 18" ! ... noobs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the rules

gotcha... my only ? is where does it state in the rulebook that terrain has to be of so-and-so a size or less than what have you... maybe they address it in some manner of errata? me and my mates definitely play with sensible rules but just in case i come across anyone who seeks to take advantage of un-addressed issues i'd like to know the real, written rule...

thx!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by semersonp View Post
    gotcha... my only ? is where does it state in the rulebook that terrain has to be of so-and-so a size or less than what have you... maybe they address it in some manner of errata? me and my mates definitely play with sensible rules but just in case i come across anyone who seeks to take advantage of un-addressed issues i'd like to know the real, written rule...

thx!
    Hi semerson. To step in and play moderator for a moment, you should check out the LO rules sometimes. It would make your posts much more readable if you used capital letters where appropriate.

Thanks.

As for terrain, there is some system in the big rule book, but as I have just the small one, I'm uncertain. We generally play D3+3 and then roll on a chart as to specific pieces. Or we just use what someone has handy with 5 or 6 pieces of terrain.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

I dont think there is anything in the main rule strictly saying how much terrain you can have, or how big terrain pieces can be. You just need to use common sense and be sportsmanlike about it.
    The only case where terrain size and use is limited is the WE free wood they get, which is max 6" by 6" i think.

Generally the lack of ruling on the matter wont be a problem, most plaers you come across are not that stupid and unsporting as to try and fill the battlefield with terrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okee dokee

excellent... thanks!

also... i feel that every letter is special in its own unique way and would never shame any of my special alphabet friends by capitalizing one of them thereby making them unexpected and unworthy despots of their own sentence fiefdoms...

power to the lower case proletariat!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by semersonp View Post
    excellent... thanks!

also... i feel that every letter is special in its own unique way and would never shame any of my special alphabet friends by capitalizing one of them thereby making them unexpected and unworthy despots of their own sentence fiefdoms...

power to the lower case proletariat!
    Funny, yes, but you do need to fix it.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

You won't get anywhere trying to get around the mods with humour. We drain their souls when they are appointed. They feel no emotion at all.

By the way, the mod team has my full support. I just like to taunt them every chance I get.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the grandest of canyons

ok... i fear that my question had manifested itself in a game that nearly handed me my first non-tournament loss in over a decade...

i played a dwarf army and their general set up a pair of impassable terrain trenches 3" wide that ran the center of the table from the table edge to the middle most 12" clear zone... it looked something like this...

O = open table
    X = impassable terrain

OOOOOOOOO
    XXXXOOXXXX
    OOOOOOOOO

so as you can see there was a 24" wide opening in the center of the field but no other way to get across than through the center... i placed a small copse of trees near a table edge, he placed the first canyon and then i declined to place my skaven slave scout knows where the fighting is best for the greenskins... then he placed the second canyon...

this left my sizeable orc battleline (2250 game) stacked up nearly double to fit through the hole... i eventually eeked out a minor victory but not after taking heavy losses to the first troops through the hole... plus my pump wagon rolled boxcars and took down my suig hoppers... my shamans were both frenzied/stupid by the end of the game and most of my force was nailed by his anvil's 1/2 move blast...

my question = would this fly at a tournament? i'm getting the feeling that the rules simply don't cover this... and my attitude is that if it's not illegal he can totally do it... i just fear a diminishing returns game of canyon/bridge/canyon/etc...

lemee know. thanks!
    Last edited by semersonp; February 1st, 2008 at 09:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast