Characters Charging from Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Characters Charging from Units

Hope this is an easy one.

If a character charges out of a unit, is he restricted to charging targets within the unit's charge arc, or can he shoot off in any direction a character would normally be allowed to charge?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Gday,

i dont have the rulebook on me at work, but I reckon as he is part of a rank and file unit, he will be restricted to the rules of a rank and file unit, so can only charge targets in HIS charge arc (I dont thinnk you'd use the units' charge arc, as they are not charging...much in the same wasy as shooting is done.)

When I get home, Ill try to confirm, unless someone else beats me to it

Regards, Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too don't have here the book, but i'm sure he is restricted to the unit's arc of sight.
    Once outside, he can then see 360°.
    It's better, it's shiny, it's warped...it's Chaos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with timk1111, characters are restricted to their own arc of sight when charging out.
    I can't seem to find the relevant rulebook reference right now though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have my rulebook on me to investigate), but here's my take: It seems like as soon as he leaves the unit he regains his LOS rules, so if you leave the unit before declaring charges then he can charge just like any unjoined character. However, in most cases this is irrelevant, because the rest of the unit would block his LOS - if he's in the front rank of the unit and not in a corner, he can only actually see 90 degrees straight forwards because of the guys on either side of him.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

The Character wont be able to leave the unit before declaring charges, hence, if he declares to charge out of a unit, the unit he is charging must be within the Characters own LoS. In the general case, for any standard character in the front rank of a unit, this is a 90 degree arc (measured from the Characters base, not the whole units!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Its been hard trying to find rules for this situation, but this is what Ive found.

Bottom of page 72 says that if a character joins a unit he 'becomes part of that unit'. I would say he follows the normal rules for the unit he's joined, so his arc of sight is reduced to 90 deg (as explained on page 1. If hes with skermishers, it's 360 degrees, and so on.

Bottom of page 73 says the character leaves the unit 'when he charges out of it'. So, until he moves, he's part of the unit.

It's not the most solid argument, but i think it's the best. If someone can find something else, then feel free to chime in.

Moglun, This situation would probably come up a little more if the character was right on the corner of a unit. If the flank was threatened by, say, fast cav, then could a character charge at them and mow them down? Id say no, as the unit cant see him, and the character is part of the unit.

Regards, Tim

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

You have that pretty much correct Tim. A character that is part of a unit must follow all their rules for movement, LoS, etc until he leaves that unit.

+ Reply to Thread