Save Stacking and the Like - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save Stacking and the Like

Okay, so I'm a 40K player looking at starting Fantasy. The 'new' thing that intrigues me most at this point is the armor save system. I like it. However, there are a couple things that are confusing.

First, I'm assuming different magical items that say give a 6+ save will simply increase the save by 1, and similar stuff. Is that right, or does it give another save at a 6+?

Second, on shields with other weapons:
    I understand most cavalry are equipped with lances, shields, and hand weapons. So, the way I see it, they have the shield bonus to save while prancing about, then on the charge with lances they lose the shield's save. After the first round, they pull out their swords & shields, gaining the better save.

Third, on ward saves:
    The rulebook was fairly clear, but I'd like to re-affirm this: Ward saves are taken in addition to armor saves? i.e. fail, armor save, take ward save? That's just too cool of concept for me. Then regeneration's the same, but with it's fire rule?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Yep, any item which adds to your armour save stacks up, so for example heavy armour (5+) and a mount (6+) combine to make 4+. Think of it as items which give a 6+ add 1 to your save, items that give a 5+ add 2 and so on. All items which add to your armour go into one overall armour save.

On the second point, you can use a lance and a shield together because a lance is one handed. A cavalry unit with lances and shields will always get the save from the shield, because they have no two handed weapons. Any one handed weapon can be combined with a shield to get the +1 to their save. Infantry fighting with a hand weapon and a shield can get an additional +1 parry bonus but that only applies in close combat against enemies to the front.

Also, quite an important rule is that you cannot change the weapon that you are using during a combat, so you have to fight the whole combat with the same weapon. This would stop you from switching to the hand weapons, but in the case of cavalry with lances switching to the handweapon would have no benefits anyway.

And finally, yes, you can take every save that you have in order of Armour, then Ward, then Regeneration. I have to say I was a bit miffed when I looked at the 40k rulebook and found out that you couldn't do this in 40k.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, lances are one-handed? That actually makes sense... I've been playing D&D too long. I think that was the only thing with weapon switching, so that works just fine, thanks.

And sorry to repeat what you said, but the shield save bonus only applies while in close combat, and only to attacks from the front? What about ranged weapons? No save from the shield?

Thanks again
    *rep given*

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

What is meant is that:

A shield always gives +1Sv.

In close combat, if on foot, attacking to the front and using a mundane Hand Weapon to attack with ANY shield in the other hand, then aswell as the save bonus from the Shield, you also get a further +1Sv from a ''parry bonus''.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

You'll find the rules for the parry bonus on p56 under the title "Fighting with hand weapon and shield (infantry)".

What it means is that a shield always gives +1 to your save, as long as the model is using his shield. (i.e. isn't using a two handed weapon instead). If infantry are fighting against enemies to the front and are using a hand weapon and sheild they get another +1 on top of that for +2 in total.

The rule works with magic shields too.

Thanks for the rep
    Last edited by Ancalagon; March 15th, 2008 at 12:33.
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh.

That's spiffy. Thanks once again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Yes, it is quite handy because heavy armour, shield and fighting with a hand weapon can mean a nice 3+ save in combat. I think they put the rule in to encourage people to take units using regular hand weapons rather than just using the other possible weapon options which all outclass the humble hand weapon in offensive power.
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be uber-noobish, and I am very sure the answer is no, but can ward saves be stacked to improve a ward save?
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Not really noobish, its a common question / misconception. But the answer is no.

+ Reply to Thread