Multiple Units Pursuing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Multiple Units Pursuing

Lets say we have a combat with three units engaged. One side has two (Units A & , the other has one (X), engaged as such:

...........BB
    ...XXXXBB
    ...XXXXBB
    ...XXXXBB
    ...AAAABB
    ...AAAA..

With the above example, "X" is fighting against unit "A" to its front and unit B to it's flank. If it loses combat and breaks, it will run from unit B as it has higher mass (10 vs. . My question(s) are in regard to handling the pursuit of unit X.

Lets say unit A restrains (or can't pursue, such as VC zombies). If unit B chases, do they immediately hit unit A and fail to actually move because of the way they had to maximize? I realize they'd still catch and destroy unit X if they rolled high enough, but where would they wind up?

Also, lets say both units pursue. The main rulebook states that you move units in order of highest to lowest unit strength with multiple pursuits. Does the same thing happen when B tries to pursue? Since its unit strength is higher, does it go first and immediately high unit A and then stop? And then you move unit A?

Basically, I guess I'm asking if there's anywhere in the rules that states you ignore those you're in contact with for pursuit moves. I couldn't find anything, but I've been known to skim over a rule thinking it was a fluff paragraph... Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Lets say we have a combat with three units engaged. One side has two (Units A & , the other has one (X), engaged as such:

...........BB
    ...XXXXBB
    ...XXXXBB
    ...XXXXBB
    ...AAAABB
    ...AAAA..

With the above example, "X" is fighting against unit "A" to its front and unit B to it's flank. If it loses combat and breaks, it will run from unit B as it has higher mass (10 vs. . My question(s) are in regard to handling the pursuit of unit X.

Lets say unit A restrains (or can't pursue, such as VC zombies). If unit B chases, do they immediately hit unit A and fail to actually move because of the way they had to maximize? I realize they'd still catch and destroy unit X if they rolled high enough, but where would they wind up?
    All units in a single combat are ignored for the purposes of each other moving etc. think along the lines of a unit fleeing through an enemy which has rear charged it, the rear charging unit is ignored for the purposes of 'crossfire'

Also, lets say both units pursue. The main rulebook states that you move units in order of highest to lowest unit strength with multiple pursuits. Does the same thing happen when B tries to pursue? Since its unit strength is higher, does it go first and immediately high unit A and then stop? And then you move unit A?
    I think so yes.. and here the final positions may depend on how the units end up, for example Unit A may ''land ontop'' of B, in which case you have to move it forwards until it can fit.

Basically, I guess I'm asking if there's anywhere in the rules that states you ignore those you're in contact with for pursuit moves.
    For persuit movement yes. Final positionings, treat as compulsory movements.
    I couldn't find anything, but I've been known to skim over a rule thinking it was a fluff paragraph... Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
    NP, hope i got it right...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    All units in a single combat are ignored for the purposes of each other moving etc. think along the lines of a unit fleeing through an enemy which has rear charged it, the rear charging unit is ignored for the purposes of 'crossfire'
    While you can flee through units you were engaged with, the same does not seem to apply to pursuit moves - which is the original question (pg 43 says you stop at friendly models - I don't see anywhere that removes other units similarly engaged in combat).

Other than that, you're right.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    While you can flee through units you were engaged with, the same does not seem to apply to pursuit moves - which is the original question (pg 43 says you stop at friendly models - I don't see anywhere that removes other units similarly engaged in combat).

Other than that, you're right.
    Hmm... yea i see what you mean. Thats quite strange imo... i think id be happy to bypass that rule in a game.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

I don't think that's correct, risking the potential embarrassment of posting without a rulebook handy =). If you hit a friendly unit while pursuing you stop. You would only pop out the other side if fleeing.

Edit: Beaten by Rork yet again! =/

Hmm... yea i see what you mean. Thats quite strange imo... i think id be happy to bypass that rule in a game.
    Agreed partly, but you'd find yourself having to adjudicate on the spot many situations to keep them sensible. Allowing pursuers to 'bounce through' like a fleeing unit can result in a far more strange or extremely unfair arrangement than simply stopping when you hit a friendly model.

e.g., single rank of cavalry engaged to front and rear, breaks and runs from the larger unit to the rear. Front restrains, rear pursues.
    fleeing unit rolls 4, pursueing unit rolls 3.
    4 is inadequate to get through the unit to the front, so they bounce through 1" beyond.
    Now it's time to move pursuers. They end up hitting the friendly unit to the front then bounce through and end up 1" beyond? Now they're on top of the unit they chased. Do they bounce through there as well and end up an inch beyond and actually on the far side of the unit they chased?
    (notably sealing that unit's fate if it fails to rally.)
    Last edited by InquisitorAffe; May 9th, 2008 at 22:37.

+ Reply to Thread