Doom and Darkness + banshee scream - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Doom and Darkness + banshee scream

Lore of Death spell Doom and Darkness imposes a "-3 penalty to any leadership based test it is required to take" on an enemy unit.

A Vampire Counts Banshee Scream has the following effect:
    "Roll 2D6+2. For each point by which the roll beats the target's leadership, the taget unit suffers 1 wound".

Is the Banshee Scream classed as a 'leadership based test'?

2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Hmm.. very interesting. Oeiginal thought was No, but then i changed my mind, so technically... Yes, i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I would say yes, because the description says leadership based, so IMO that is anything that uses Ld.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been up before, and I'm still going to go with no. The Banshee scream is a special attack, where you roll the dice and compare them to the targets leadership. IMO a leadershipbased test is when the affected unit rolls the dice against its leadership, this is not the case with the scream. They don't test, so the -3 isn't taken into account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Personally I think the spell probably should affect the leadership for the banshee scream, but looking at the way the rules are worded, technically I think skilett is right
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I'd say no for the same reasons. It's not a ld test with the banshee, you're just comparing the two stats

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I am inclined to say yes. A 'Leadership Test' is a clearly defined rules term wherein 2d6 is compared to the stat. However a 'Leadership-based test' is up in the air for interpretation. To me it defines anything where the unit's leadership is compared to something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But in any other test I can think of, the unit rolls the dice/takes the test. It also says so in the spell description, '-3 penalty to any Leadership-based test it is required to take', but it isn't the unit taking the test when the Banshee screams. However, if GW releases a FAQ that states Doom & Darkness works with Banshee, I for one will use Forbidden Lore: Death a whole lot more...:party:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

This one's split right down the middle!
    I would say no. The unit affected by the spell is not actually taking any kind of test, it's the banshee who is making a roll to beat the enemy's leadership. As the unit's actual leadership is unchanged, and it's not making any kind of test itself, I don't see that the spell would come into play.

EDIT: To clarify my argument, I'm avoiding the question of whether a leadership test and a leadership-based test are two different things and pointing out that the spell only applies to "any leadership-based test it is required to make" (my emphasis), and that in the case of the scream the affected unit that is not making any kind of test at all.
    Last edited by Moglun; May 12th, 2008 at 17:15.
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Moglun View Post
    T
    EDIT: To clarify my argument, I'm avoiding the question of whether a leadership test and a leadership-based test are two different things and pointing out that the spell only applies to "any leadership-based test it is required to make" (my emphasis), and that in the case of the scream the affected unit that is not making any kind of test at all.
    Hmm... yes, this is the way i was originally looking at it, and by thinking about it i wound myself in circles, and decided upon the opposite. Having seen it here in bold has somehow made my original thoughts clear in my head, and so i think id like to change my ''vote''

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast