Heroes block Charges? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Heroes block Charges?

This came up in my game of BaSP.
    Trying to thionk of all the things we couldn't work out,

So A slayer by himself is in between a unit of Night Goblins and a unit of Dwarf Warriors led by the Thane.

The Gobbos charge the Slayer and fail to kill him, he is unbreakable so doesn't fall back and the 2 are stuck in combat.
    Now the dwarves want to charge to aid the slayer. Is he in the way? Can they charge and he is moved aside? Can they charge and he just stands in the front rank? Is the charge blocked?
    What about if there is no room to maneuver? Ie There is only enough room for say 6 models across?

GGGGG
    GGGGG
    __S__
    DDDTD
    DDDDD

G - Goblin
    S - Slayer
    T - Thane
    D - Dwarf

Also a bonus Question.
    If the Slayer is fighting the Gobbos and is attacking at the corner, so he is in contact with 1 gobbo, can the gobbos move at all to get more guys in combat, or get champ in combat?

GGCGG
    T

Goblin one and 2 can attack, nobody else.
    At the reform part of combat a goblin moves from back row so there are 3 goblins in combat

GGGCGG
    _T

Is there a way to get the champion in combat? Could the champion attempt a challenge even though he is not in base to base?

Thanks in advance!

Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

1) Yes, the slayer is in the way so the Dwaves are unable to charge this turn if it would require more than one pivot before base contact with the gobbos is made. they may huffle about a bit and then charge next turn.

2) The combatants must be moved in order to maximise the number of models engaged. So as the Gobbos charge, they will move across to get as many in as possibly (corner to corner)

3) To get the champ in, he may be moved to any position in the front rank in the Gobbo movement phase. So complete the charge, them move him across and switch his position with a normal gobbo.

4) The Champion may challenge even if not in base to base as far as im aware, as he is still in the engaged fighting rank.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

If you cannot get into base contact with an enemy (such as if they are in combat already and you cannot wheel around your own unit), then you cannot charge. So your dwarfs in the first example would be unable to make the charge if they could not hit the goblins before hitting the slayer in a wheel. They would have to reform themselves so they could charge in their next turn.

If they could make the charge, then they'd maximize the combatants to the best of their ability. By strict RAW, you wouldn't be able to slide the slayer down further to get everyone involved in the fight from both sides, but most players use the "Spirit of the Rules" mentioned in the rulebook FAQ to do just that.

As to your bonus questions:
    In the first one, unless the single model is flanking the goblins, they'd maximize to get the most gobbo's in combat. So instead of:
    GGGCG
    T

It would be:
    GGGCG
    _T

So three gobbo's could be involved in the fight.

For the second bonus question, (sorry no rulebook in front of me at the moment, going off of memory - bad, I know!), there's a section that talks about characters in combat. It states that they may shift inside their unit that's in combat to get into base to base contact in their own movement phase if they were in combat from a previous turn but not in base-to-base. So if the dwarf charges and doesn't touch the champion, you're out of luck for the first round... but after which, the champ (who acts like a character in combat) could slide over to get in the fight if he so wanted.

As a side note, it also states that a character *cannot* move out of combat if he's already involved in one.

*edit* beaten to it, darn!

Just a quick clarification of something I missed and Phoenix got wrong :p A character must be involved in the fight, meaning actually in base-to-base contact to issue a challenge. This doesn't mean in btb with who he wants to fight, just with someone. See the "Issuing a Challenge" section of the rulebook for that part.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    Just a quick clarification of something I missed and Phoenix got wrong :p A character must be involved in the fight, meaning actually in base-to-base contact to issue a challenge. This doesn't mean in btb with who he wants to fight, just with someone. See the "Issuing a Challenge" section of the rulebook for that part.
    Ahh ok, just wasn't positive about this bit, and was on my way to look lol. Still, the Champ can move across anyway, so its all good. Challenge if you like, though surely more attacks would be good whatever against the Unbreakable Slayer.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Yeah, in the case of the slayer, I'd more likely than not want to keep the champion out of the combat... else the slayer character will challenge and only have to do 1 wound to prevent attacks back. But that's another matter entirely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

Hmm
    Thanks for all the replies.
    In the end we just let the dwarves charge and help out the slayer.

Next time, we will follow the rules more closely.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said before, the slayer DOES block the charge.

One thing to keep in mind, were you in that exact situation again, as it was structured, the Thane could have charged out by himself since the Slayer wasn't blocking a charge from *just* the Thane. You can charge a character out of a unit, though you sadly cannot charge a character at target A and the rest of the unit at target B - nor can you charge the unit without the character.

Of course, that may not be the wisest move... still, against cheesy little gobbos, it might be worth the risk.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

as far as RAW and all that goes i'd say yall are right and in a competitive tourny that's what would stand (although if the slayer won the previous rond could he move to the far left, still maximising combat and the dwarfs charge right?)

but me and my friends came up to a similiar situation with skragg the ogre gorger dude (who's on a chariot base just ot make things more complicated) and there was a large unit of iron guts (16 of em, and just for practicality we did a house rule ogres could count ranks of 4 instead of 5) with bruiser and tyrant behind skragg and my unit of zombies and bloodknights

we decided it would make more sense and look cooler to see the ogres charge around him and he would count as joining the unit from then on but the unit would lose an impact charge as they'd go around skrag and could not reform. although looking back on that i should have made him get an impact hit on skragg from the other ogres being to exctied....

+ Reply to Thread