Miscast number 5 and bound spells - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Miscast number 5 and bound spells

As the title suggests. The 5th miscast lets the opponent cast any spell, but can they use the opportunity to cast a bound spell? Arguments can be made for either side, but I haven't found anywhere saying that you can or can't.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never really thought about it, but after having browsed the rulebook I would say you can. Nothing in the miscast nor bound spell description says anything to prevent it as far as I can see.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Ive thought about this before but its never really come up in a game. If it ever did, id go with yes. Thats from memory ofcourse, may have forgotten something from the rules, but as far as i remember then yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Anyone have a definitive ruling on this aside from, "I think so." No offense, guys, I would like something a little more concrete. It seems weird that someone would be able to use a wand or other item after someone miscasts, or even weirder yet a warrior priest who doesn't even draw his power from the same source.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

/shrug, Orcs & Goblins don't draw their power from the Winds of Magic either, no do Tomb Kings, I don't think anyone would argue against them casting a spell on those grounds.

I think the description of bound spells themselves "Cast [...] just like other spells" is enough to justify using it at a time you're allowed to cast any spell in your arsenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Actually, TKs cannot take advantage of this miscast at all, part of their special magic.

As for a more solid reason, well the Bound Spell is a spell, and the miscast allows the casting of a spell

Edit: Rules mistake removed so the argument may now be valid
    Last edited by Phoenix; May 25th, 2008 at 09:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

255 (x6)

I don't see anything about a lower casting value. It does say "No casting roll is required," implying that normally a roll would be required, and bound spells don't make you roll.

On a similar note, it also doesn't clarify what happens if someone has a spell with multiple casting values. Do they have to pick the lowest value or can they pick any one they want?

They may seem like unlikely situations, but I have had them happen in back to back games (I seem to only ever roll a 5 or 8 when I miscast). Starting up a campaign soon, and I want to have everything as clear cut as possible before it starts. I am probably going to go with a yes on the bound spell miscast, as I can't see a reason why it would be too powerful. Thanks for bearing with me so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Apologies Core, not sure where i got the ''lower'' thing from. I think i still have 6th ed in my head, that's twice in 2 days i've done that! Should check rather than just assume...

I've edited my above so it should now be ok an argument. Bound spell can be cast, no roll required. It says the opposing player may cast, not specifying a wizard, and a BS is a players spell.

+ Reply to Thread