Drain Magic vs. Gut Magic RIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drain Magic vs. Gut Magic RIP

The Drain Magic spell states that it increases the casting value of all spells while it is in effect.

The (new) HE FAQ states that Drain Magic doesn't affect bound spells or Incantations because they don't have a casting value. Also, that Drain Magic also increases the casting value of RIP spells for the purpose of dispelling them in turns after they were cast, i.e. making them harder to dispel.

What about Gut Magic RIP spells? Gut Magic does have a casting value (3), but it has a special rule for Remains In Play which states that it can be later dispelled as if it is a Remains In Play spell cast with a "Power level" of 7.

My thinking is that since Drain Magic only affects the casting value, not a "Power level", it increases the casting value of Gut Magic to 6 but would not affect its special RIP "Power level" since it's not a "casting value". (Similar to why Drain Magic doesn't affect bound spells). Hence, the Gut Magic RIP spell would still require a 7 to dispel in subsequent turns even with Drain Magic in effect.

My Ogre opponent (and the Ogre forum he reads) insist that when a (single) Drain Magic is in effect, an ongoing Gut Magic spell would require a roll of 10 on the dice to dispel it. Their argument is that the HE FAQ states that Drain Magic doesn't affect bound spells or Incantations since they don't have casting values, but Gut Magic does have a casting value and, furthermore, Gut Magic is not explicitly listed in the FAQ as something Drain Magic doesn't affect.

Opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I would say that you would need a 10. I would argue that "casting value" and "power level" are interchangeable terms. The gut magic can normally be dispelled on a 7 so it seems logical that with drain magic in effect, you would need a 10.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I think this has come up before a while back, and i think i remember the result as being that you need 10+ to dispel. If for some insane reason, t is cast twice, then you need 13, i think.. possibly getting things confused lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

10 seems right. Otherwise, it's just playing word games.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I agree that it should be a 10+, even though I think it's daft that Drain Magic makes it harder to dispel RIP spells. Logically, shouldn't it be easier? Ah well...
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

+ Reply to Thread