Shooting After a Failed Charge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Shooting After a Failed Charge

This was a question my friend and I ran into when we were playing a game yesterday.

He had a unit of Glade Riders that declared a charge on my unit of Flesh Hounds but they failed the fear check, thus they failed their charge. In the shooting phase he wanted to use that same unit of Glade Riders to shoot my Flesh Hounds since he had failed to charge, but I was leary on if that was legal. I know a failed charge still counts as a movement, but his WE Glad Riders have that move and shoot rule.

In my mind the fact that he tried a charge and failed means that unit cannot do anything else that phase (could swear I read something to that effect in the rule book but don't know where). His argument was that even though his unit had declared a charge a failed (which counted as a movement) he could still shoot because his GR had 'move and shoot' rules.

We could find no clear answer on what a unit could and couldn't do after it had failed a charge due to fear. Anyone know the page or have a definitive answer?

The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

It states clearly that a unit that fails a charge cannot shoot that turn, but may still cast spells. I don't have my rulebook on hand for a page ref, but will try to find it for you when I get home from work if nobody else provides in the mean time.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Pretty sure moob is right on this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Bonzi View Post

We could find no clear answer on what a unit could and couldn't do after it had failed a charge due to fear. Anyone know the page or have a definitive answer?
    According to pg 21 a unit that fails a charge can't shoot. According to pg 50, a unit that fails a fear test and can't charge is treat for the rest of the turn as if it had failed a charge.

Nothing in the fast cavalry rules overrides this, so the glade riders could not shoot.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Nothing in the fast cavalry rules overrides this, so the glade riders could not shoot.
    But....Wood Elves are the best. They can do anything, right?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Charging Glade Riders into Flesh Hounds would have been tantamount to suicide. But the others have answered the question.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

He did it because his GR were already below half strength and my Hounds only needed one wound to take them below scoring and it was getting near the end of the game. Other than that thanks guys, I was fairly sure that I was right, just didn't have the time to prove it at the game.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

+ Reply to Thread