~First turn charge~ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

~First turn charge~

~My friend plays tomb kings, and I play warriors. I had a unit of marauder horsemen up against my deployment line, and he had a unit of chariots up against his. He got first turn and moved his chariots up 8". Then he magicked his chariots into charging. They charge 16". My question is this, if we both put our units as far out on our deployment zone, are they twelve inches out and 24" away from each other so he could charge me? Or, like we've played it before, they are technically not in 24" charging range.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

If you were both right on to your deployment line, then yes, the charge would happen. However, generally (going down to tiny fractions) youd more likely be over it that right up against it, so im of the opinion 1st turn 24" charges cant happen.

TK Carrion however, now they can charge 1st turn

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    If you were both right on to your deployment line, then yes, the charge would happen. However, generally (going down to tiny fractions) youd more likely be over it that right up against it, so im of the opinion 1st turn 24" charges cant happen.

TK Carrion however, now they can charge 1st turn
    Yep, it's possible, just as described. On the plus side you can flee or sacrifice the marauder horsemen and then slaughter the more expensive chariots in return.

But yeah- even if you just set up a fraction of an inch back from your deployment line then you're fine. It might be worth saying "They'll be here- a fraction of an inch back from the edge of my deployment zone." This helps when you remind them later that the charge they've just declared can't succeed and they've just stranded their unit.... Muahahahahaha...
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I was of the impression that the deployment zones are supposed to be a tiny fraction of an inch more than 24" (i.e. 24.00001"), and therefore that 24" of movement would never be enough to actually hit the charge. I'll check the rulebook to see if I'm making that up or if there is something in there like that.

Of course, you should never be going down to tiny fractions OVER your deployment. You might as well be inches over it. The line is there for a reason, you don't cross it. Whether you want to argue that some people DO go over it, that's one thing, but in the rules of the game, it is illegal for opponents to start even tiny fractions over the line. The question is can they start ON the line (for 24" exactly), or do they have to start BEHIND the 24" line. The wording in the book will give the answer as to whether or not the 24" first turn charge is possible.

Of course, if your units are far enough over the line or you fudged your movement enough that turn that the enemy is making the charge by a half inch, obviously you are further than you should legally be, and deserve to take the charge.

edit: generally I don't tend to rules lawyer, but if something is literally impossible, then I wouldn't let it slide just because it seemed close. Theoretically the units couldn't move more than 24", so if the book does say starting behind the line, you should be able to feel safe enough to move your marauders the full 8" forward, rather than having to hold back just because your opponent will fuzz up the rules.
    Last edited by Sangren; October 21st, 2008 at 20:43.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Page 2 of the BRB:
    "Armies cannot be deployed within 12" of the middle line of the battlefield, so that more than 24" of no man's land will stand between the two armies...the important thing is that the opposing armies must be separated by a distance of more than 24" at the start of the game."
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    Page 2 of the BRB:
    "Armies cannot be deployed within 12" of the middle line of the battlefield, so that more than 24" of no man's land will stand between the two armies...the important thing is that the opposing armies must be separated by a distance of more than 24" at the start of the game."
    Even got a page ref....

DavidVC04 for President of the USA.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Pretty conclusive then - 1st player turn charges are IMPOSSIBLE unless the charging unit has movement by magical means > 12" and has already moved > 12" in the first turn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

He was also talking about the bottom half of the second turn, i.e. when his marauders had already moved 8, and his opponent was moving 16. Magical movement doesn't really need to take any part of it in that situation.

To really break it down, the only way that you can charge the first turn (first half or second half) is to have a total of OVER 24" of movement made, in any way you find that possible. 24" of movement between two units will not result in a successful first turn charge (your opponent should have failed his).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I'm pretty shocked to see two highly rep'd people get this wrong. Maybe it's just because I come from a 40K background where the sheer number of things that can move or shoot exactly 24" on turn 1 makes this a 'need to know' rule.

Anyway, keep in mind that playing different scenarios might introduce different deployment requirements. 40K for example used to havea scenario that had you starting no closer than 18" (that's CLOSE!!) so you may well find that custom or even tournament scenarios change things up a bit.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by medic_4077 View Post
    I'm pretty shocked to see two highly rep'd people get this wrong.
    Rep is in no way directly linked to gaming knowledge or perfection lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast