Ward Saves and Monstrous Mounts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ward Saves and Monstrous Mounts

I've read and re-read the rules for Monstrous Mounts and I'm still a little confused about how magic items--particularly ward saves--for riders affect their mounts, if at all.

In the monstrous mounts section it says that monstrous mounts and their riders are treated as a single model (just like cavalry) with the exceptions they go on to list. These exceptions say that you can target the mount or the rider in close combat, randomize hits from shooting, and resolve hits against the rider or the mount using their own profiles. However, magic items that affect a "model" would still apply both to the rider and the mount, wouldn't they? That seems like a reasonable interpretation until you get to items that grant the "model" a ward save. Does this affect the mount as well?

Thanks in advance but please also tell me what section of the rules proves your point. Our group has been struggling with this particular nit for a while now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

If you are riding a monstrous mount, your magic items don't necessarily apply to both the mount and the rider. While the whole is one model, they are treated as separate entities for the for purpose of magic items. This is why, if the rider dies, the mount doesn't disappear also as with horses and other mounts.

Can't find any rule in the BRB that says this outright, but if you look at magic items in army books it seems to be clear. I play wood elves, and we have a couple of items that specifically say that they affect both the rider and mount. If it was standard, that magic items affected both, then this wording wouldn't be necessary, and other items would work also.

That would be my interpretation,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems to make sense. I wouldn't say all magic items applied to both but it still sounds like items that specifically affect "the model" as opposed to the bearer/wearer/rider/etc would work for both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone find anything specifically saying the items that affect "the model" don't affect a rider and his mount since they're treated as a single model?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

It's in the 7th edition FAQ, part 1. They don't apply to monstrous mounts unless the item description makes it explicit.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread