Monsters w/ Handlers, Monster Reaction - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Monsters w/ Handlers, Monster Reaction

I keep hearing that monsters with handlers must make a monster reaction test if and when all of their handlers are killed, and that said monster must test on it's own Ld (not the General's).

However, I cannot find mention of it in the BRB. I checked the 7th edition Monsters with Handlers rules last night and found no such stipulation. The monster reaction chart on page 61 is only mentioned with regard to monstrous mounts with slain riders. Have I missed something? Is it army book specific? Does the army list entry for Salamanders, for instance, state that they must take a monster reaction test? Is this a holdover from 6th edition that no longer applies in 7th? Or is there something in the FAQ/Errata that I've missed?

I wonder specifically with regard to the Hellcannon. There is no mention of a monster reaction test if the Chaos Dwarfs are killed, only the Rampage check that must be carried out at the beginning of the turn (regardless of the crew, dead or alive), and yet I've run across several individuals who insist that a monster reaction test is required. What's the deal?

The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Well, page 61 says that tests are taken if the rider is slain.

The hydra rule for taking a test is in the DE book and therefore a special rule, not a system-wide one.

Salamanders and Razordons have a similiar rule.

The Hellcannon doesn't have a rule like that. It follows monsters and handlers as far as moving like a skirmisher but charging like a non-skirmisher.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

So taking a monster reaction test with regard to monsters & handlers is army/unit specific? I have not had a chance to peruse the Lizardmen book yet, but I can steal a glance at my buddies Hydra list entry at some point in the future.

I figured this was the case, but some are adamant that taking a monster reaction test is inherent to monsters with handlers, regardless of the unit in question, despite there being no text in the BRB to support their claim.
    The Blessed of the Four

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, it's specific to army books. As it's not in the BRB or the WoC book, the hell cannon doesn't test. Your buddies are incorrect on this one.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Indeed - the Hellcannon is not really a monster anyway, so the link is tenuous at best. Howeverm the Hellcannon does have its own special rules concerning the enemy, and these supercede anything in the rulebook anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x2)

Hard to say. Beyond "firing like a stone thrower", it's considered to be a monster with handlers for all intents and purposes. But yeah, it's a blurry line ...
    The Blessed of the Four

+ Reply to Thread