First game ever, chariot ranks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

First game ever, chariot ranks

So I played my first ever game of fantasy battles today. It was awesome. The 40K battle I had after seemed dull in comparison. It really is a great game. Anyway, it was a 1500 point battle with the sole purpose of me and a friend learning the rules and we came across a few situations that we couldn't find answers for in the rulebook. One situation in particular probably lost my mate the game so I was after a bit of help from the experts. I drew it up in paint:

Basically, the red rectangles are Khemri chariots, the blue one is some kind of liche priest on a chariot, and the green block is a unit of 15 Saurus warriors. After his chariots ran down a unit of my skinks, I was presented with the flank of the unit. I charged it in my turn and killed one chariot (marked with the cross). This is where we got confused. What would happen to the chariots in regards to the formation of the unit? Would we remove that particular chariot and move the one behind it forward? Remove the chariot and shuffle the character over, allowing him to fight? This particular situation didn't seem to be covered in the rules (which 3 people flicked through for an answer!) so we ended up just taking a chariot from the back rank and getting on with it. It will no doubt happen again at some point (he likes his chariots) so yeah, please enlighten me!

Thanks for any help!

Kabal of the Twilight Blade - Host of Tecpatl - Salamanders 3rd

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I can see why this is complicated for your first game...

Assuming the hero on chariot is at the front of the unit, then you killed one of the chariots in their front rank. Now... generally you remove casualties from the back rank, so for simplicity its probably best to remove the top left (in diagram) chariot.

[The actual dead chariot would be the top right one (in ase contact with saurus, on the back rank), and in the next combat phase the other two on the back rank would shuffle across to slign in combat, leaving a gap in the top left. Hence the removal of top left in the first place just saves a bit of ''work'', if you like.]

Btw, send your friend over the the TK forum, and ill let him know why using chariots in multiple ranks is not the best idea lol. Or just let him know that if he has a hero, one rank of 3 chariots + character is best

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

For simplicity sake, you would remove the chariot in the back rank, left side as phoenix said. After you had attacked, since you killed one, the other chariot would get to attack back. Now we will assume you won combat and it continues for another round.

In the second round of combat, his character will move over to the side and get into combat, replacing a normal chariot. Now challenges can be issued. As chariots are killed keep removing from the back until there are no more.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    In the second round of combat, his character will move over to the side and get into combat, replacing a normal chariot. Now challenges can be issued. As chariots are killed keep removing from the back until there are no more.
    SirKently
    Thats the most difficult bit. The defender (TK) chooses which chariot in base contact dies, so if they wish they can have the hero forced into combat next turn, or leave him in the front rank. (think thats right...)

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

It would be the TK player's choice to move the character into combat or not. And the move is supposed to be done during his movement phase, but people do tend to do it during the combat phase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

It actually says in the book that it is fine to remove models from the rear ranks instead of the front ranks so that you don't have to make the movement during the movement phase. In other words you can move the models around during the Combat phase instead of the Movement phase. And when fighting to the flanks it shows in the BRB that you move the incomplete rear rank to the side they have been flanked from, to bring them into combat where they will fight normally.

Also at the end of the combat section it has a subsection called "5. Redress The Ranks" where it tells you to tidy things up and move models to the fore of combat if there have been frontal casualties.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Additionally. you remove files only after ranks are exhausted, so you would have to start by removing a chariot from the back rank, and as teh combat continues, continue to remove chariots from the back rank, until there are no more left. Then you start on the front rank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Actually if you look in the big book you can remove models from the front rank if you wish. In a frontal charge all casualties are technically being taken from the front, more models are piling forward to take their place, and dying as well, they cannot strike back if they die. Anyway, the reason you take casualties from the rear is to represent the models piling forward. However the models are technically being removed from the front. so you could say, take the model from the bottom right, push the Character into combat, and while it will not get to attack that turn, it will be able to take hits, as well as attack the next turn. Mind it could die during that turn.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

You cannot do that. The character's position in the unit can only be changed during the controlling player's movement phase, or during a challenge. A fallen rank and file model is replaced by a rank and file model. Also, just because they are engaged on the side, their front and rear don't change. The 'hole' has to be in the back rank of the regiment, you can't have two models in the front rank and three in the back rank!

While it is fine to remove the casualty from the front rank, you replace him by moving a trooper forward from a rear rank. Not by sliding members of the front rank around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Yup, you're right, movement phase. It's right in the Characters section under the Characters and Units subsection and under the heading "Moving Characters Within Engaged Units"

+ Reply to Thread