Piling against your foes? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    S..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piling against your foes?

This must exist in the rulebook but I really seem to miss it. Gone through the movement section countless of times, it's probably hiding somewhere else.
    (I'm new at this, spare me )

Let's say I have 20 dryads in 2 ranks. (10 infront)
    I attack a random group of 10 in 2 ranks. (5 infront)

During a charge it's kind of logical that only 5 of my dryads can attack their first rank. But what I don't understand, as the fight goes on I should be able to pile up with the other dryads which are positioned on the sides of my first rank. It seems very unrealistic that they would just stand in the corners and wait for their comrades to die. For sure they could go around on my enemies flank and take a punch

Same situation with let's say 7 skirmishers against a rank of 5. I get to attack with 5 but should the 2 remaining skirmishers just sit there?

Side question:
    About wardancers, can I change their dance at anytime? (The only rule I have found is that they cannot use the same dance twice during a combat phase) but I should be able to charge with one dance and then change when my enemy is striking back.

Really sorry if I am missing something obvious here
    Thanks for your time.

Last edited by S..; March 2nd, 2009 at 00:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's why you generally don't see groups of 20 dryads. (Well, I never do).

Don't forget corner to corner fighting as well.

Wardancers change dance each combat phase, they cannot do the same dance per COMBAT...So if you charge with killing blow, then you will change dance next time you attack (to ward save or extra attacks etc) I don't know the names of them of the top of my head.

There's nothing else you can do about having too many skirmishers...that's just part of the tactics.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

How many dryads in your example get to attack depends on how many are touching an enemies base. So if you opponent is 5 wide on 20mm bases (standard block troop), then 6 dryads will be able to attack. That is the maximum that will ever be able to attack in that situation. The others don't swing around the sides in this edition.

As for wardancers, you pick a dance at the beginning of the combat round and have to use that dance for the entire round. So if you choose storm of blades (the standard for a charge), then you get your extra swings for attack, and nothing for defense except your normal 6+ ward save. If combat lasts another round, choose a new dance for that whole round.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

S..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    How many dryads in your example get to attack depends on how many are touching an enemies base. So if you opponent is 5 wide on 20mm bases (standard block troop), then 6 dryads will be able to attack. That is the maximum that will ever be able to attack in that situation. The others don't swing around the sides in this edition.

As for wardancers, you pick a dance at the beginning of the combat round and have to use that dance for the entire round. So if you choose storm of blades (the standard for a charge), then you get your extra swings for attack, and nothing for defense except your normal 6+ ward save. If combat lasts another round, choose a new dance for that whole round.

Good luck,
    SirKently

Thank you mate, now I'm slighty confused over one matter though. I found this reply by you in a previous topic

There is the section though in the combat chapter that says if you win combat you are allowed to expand your frontage. So say 2 5x4 blocks are in combat. The one that wins the first round can expand there front to 7 wide in the following round if they wish.
    So if you win a combat, you can add two extra troops to the side?
    or maybe you meant just adding the in the front but not "wrapped around"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by S.. View Post
    If you win combat, you may redress your ranks, changing your frontage by a maximum of 5, I think.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by S.. View Post
    It is correct that you can redress the ranks if you win combat. This lets you expand your frontage by up to 5 as stated. This is more useful for block troops. Say 2 units each five wide attack each other. The one that wins can then get his front 7 wide for more attacks in the next round.

Not really that useful for skirmishers who get the maximum number into combat first round, unless you had a bunch that were out of charge range, and needed to add some more on the following round.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread