Challenging a Skink Priest on a Stegadon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Challenging a Skink Priest on a Stegadon

I'll be facing Lizardmen for the first time with WoC, and I wonder:

Challenging a Skink Priest on a Stegadon, with Engine of the Gods. Is there a special rule that governs this (in the LM book)? Or does this work similar to challenging a character on a chariot? In the absence of a special rule, I have to assume the Stegadon fights in the challenge, but the crew in the howdah are unable to attack. Does this mean the rest of the Chaos unit (assuming the character was with a rank and file unit) has no target, as the entire Stegadon model is otherwise tied up in the challenge?

Cheers.

The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I literally registered 5 minutes ago to ask this exact question. Our group had the same thing come up. Skink Chieg on steg in challenge w a Vamp. The crew cannot attack; that's stated in the rules. But the questions became: a) can the crew BE attacked and b) can the crew attack/be attacked in the round that the challenge ends?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

I would assume the crew could attack the unit that is in contact with it and that unit could attack the crew back. I don't see why it wouldn't happen this way.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Neither did I, until I read the rule on page 77 that states, "the chariot's crew (if any) cannot attack at all until the challenge is over." Not sure if this applies to the Stegadon crew (though I gotta assume it's a similar mechanic). I thought maybe that particular sentence was meant to apply strictly to a chariot charging a lone character, but then it goes on to detail how impact hits are worked out against the unit and not the character.

I guess maybe the crew is along for the ride, with regard to the challenge, but it seems odd that the unit and the crew wouldn't mix it up. I guess maybe because chariot crew are considered part of the model ...? Does the same apply to Stegadon crew?
    The Blessed of the Four
    By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It specifies also in the Lizardmen book under the Steg entry that the crew cannot attack in a challenge. But does that mean they can be attacked? It's an odd one.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I'd take the fact that they can't attack in a challenge means that they are in no way involved in the challenge either.

I've not got the Lizard book so i'm not going to be 100% sure on this. But are you actually able to attack the crew??? Are they like handlers or are they like a chariots crew and are not able to be directly hurt?

If it's a ridden monster (ie a MOUNT for the character like a Dragon). The impact hits will be taken on the unit your character is in and then when you issue the Challenge you will have to fight the Monster and the Character on top just like you would a Lord on a dragon.

If it isn't a mount for the character and the charater is more of an addition to the unit then you will work it out exactly like a chariot. IE the chariot and crew fight the unit your character is in and the Two characters fight it out.

If your Character is on his lonesome he'll take the impact hits and then you can do the issuing challenges.

Does that make sense or have i just confused myself???

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Lord borak is correct if I followed his writing. The impact hits go on the unit first. Then the challenge is issued and the skink character and stegadon will fight the challenger. The skink crew cannot attack or be attacked just like a chariot.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a) It is a mount if it's an engine of the gods.

b ) The section in the lizardmen rules clearly outlines what happens for crew/characters during challenges, I don't have the book on me, but instead of guessing, why not ask GW over the phone? Seems so much simpler
    Chaos Warriors (2009) 16-4-9

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtinator View Post
    but instead of guessing, why not ask GW over the phone? Seems so much simpler
    Because GW is not a good source for rules interpretations. They are frequently wrong, and the answer you get will vary depending on the individual you get on that particular call.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

This is true. I worked for GW for 6 years........ The amount of times i had to correct other staff memebers on Rules was just silly. Sometimes i wanted to beat the Mail Order staff with a rule book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast