Couple charging questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple charging questions

Question 1.
    Say you want to charge a unit, but that unit is in combat already from a previous turn, and the arc you are in (front, flank, etc.) is "full" of your units already, as in there's no space for you to fit and be in combat. But, for whatever reason you can still see the target unit (like it's a large target or you can see its flank even though you're in its front arc). Can you charge this unit? And if so, what happens when you do? Do you realign the combatants to make room as if all had charged simultaneously?

Subquestion (related), what happens if the unit you're charging is not in combat yet, but you declare a charge with so many units that you simply can't fit them all in contact with the enemy unit, no matter how much you align them? A simple example might be char

Question 2.

The BRB is not very clear on how Skirmishers work in terms of maneuvering during a charge. Do they get to turn one time like a monster? Only skirmishers don't have facing, so they don't "turn" per se...I guess I should say "do they get to change direction only one time?" Or is their movement during a charge completely unrestricted, like their normal movement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Question 1: You can declare a charge, but it would fail so there is no point. You will not be able to get into combat on that turn.

For the second part, one of the units will fail its charge. So don't declare so many units that they all can't get in.

Question 2: There movement is unrestricted. As long as they can move somehow to get into combat with there max move, and be in the proper arc, they are good to go. Check out diagram 66.3 on page 66 in the BRB.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I actually thought to check the FAQ right after posting this, and it answers #1 pretty clearly.

#2 is interesting. I saw that diagram, but I was not sure what to infer from it. You *could* interpret it as they only get to change direction once (with no regard for facing) since none of the models in that diagram have to make more than one direction change. It came up in a recent game where I had a lone character on foot (who moves like a Skirmisher so this applies).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

For #2 it is a process of elimination. For normal ranked troops it specifically says they can wheel only once during a charge. For monsters it says they can only pivot once during a charge. For skirmishers, ....silence. Therefore I think it is safe to assume that they have no rule like this for charging and are free to move in any way they want.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread