Less of a rule, more of a courtesy question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less of a rule, more of a courtesy question

Hello once again,

When you play in friendly or even competitive games, how do you handle unveiling units that do not show up during deployment (Assassins, fanatics, miners, ambush rule troops, etc) and are supposed to be hidden?

I have seen two methods of this with the guys I played with in friendly matches...

1. Hide the fact you have them, and then pull them out of your case when they show up and yell 'surprise!' and put them on the board as per their rules.
    2. Announce you have the unit (in the case of assassins/fanatics, give no details of where it is hidden) but leave the unit off on the side of the table or somewhere else until it arrives.
    How do you and your friends usually deal with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Unveil when applicable during the game

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

It basically comes down to the closed list vs open list arguement.

Most tourneys I attend play open list; you get to look over your opponents list pre-game and ask questions. It eliminates the surprise element and renders some items useless.

Closed list fall into you first point; your opponent has no idea and is very surprised.

My friends and I tend to play with closed lists as we enjoy the element of uncertainty.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Anybody caught 'very surprised' by the appearance of a fanatic or assassin in their respective armies deserves what they get

I don't try to hide the fact that there are fanatics in my army, or even how many total I have usually. There might be some small advantage to the opponent late in the game if they've figured out I don't have any fanatics left to come out of some unit that's off dicking around in a corner holding a quarter, but it's pretty incidental.

I can see how with Dark Elves it may be a bit more of a mystery, but Assassins ain't cheap. A really 'competitive' player should be able to look at the army and see that either the pts for the assassin are missing or you've seriously overgeared your characters anyway.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

I think the general procedure courtesy wise is to:

Deny any knowledge of even knowing what an assassin or fanatic is.

Express interest that you can take them.

Then shout 'SURPRISE LOSER!* as you place your secret weapon at an appropriate moment.

*Anyone who has watched 'Team America' will know what you really shout.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

To stick as close to realism as possible, you shouldn't have to show your opponent what you have. There is a lizardman special character that makes you reveal hidden things like assassins and fanatics when they come within 20" of him. This would lead me to believe that the designers don't intend for you to reveal these models until the appropriate time.

Whether you hide them or not is up to you, but I would think it would be tactically advantageous to keep them out of sight. And if you do keep them off to the side of the board, don't keep the exact number you have. If you have 5 fanatics in your list, put 8 off to the side, but you should tell your opponent that it isn't the correct number so he is still left guessing.

SirKently
    Last edited by sirkently; June 10th, 2009 at 16:37.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I think that either way is fine, they are Hidden for a reason. I keep an Assassin off to the side even when I am not using one in my list. I generally follow the closed list policy. Your opponent should not be informed on things in your list that they cannot see for themselves. If my opponent sees a unit of Black Guard on the table they can assume that I have the ASF banner. They usually assume that my Lord has the Pendant. Most of the time they do, sometimes I switch it up a bit. I think that is more of the way the game should be played. It is a game of incomplete information and making judgement calls so I think that keeping the models off the table is perfectly fine until you need them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

for the most part my friends and i usualy just put our army off to the side so we have an idea what our oponent hasn't deployed yet. but not where they are.
    Painting: 20 quarrelers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Extra sneaky points awarded for bringing more models than you need, for example 3 DE assassins when you only have 1, or even just leaving them on the side when you don't have any in the army. Claim they're good luck mascots if your opponent asks when your deploying them :-)
    2000AD's answer to all "How do VC deal with ..." questions: Forbidden Lore + 2 Power Stones.
    Further answers will require more vodka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000AD View Post
    Extra sneaky points awarded for bringing more models than you need, for example 3 DE assassins when you only have 1, or even just leaving them on the side when you don't have any in the army. Claim they're good luck mascots if your opponent asks when your deploying them :-)
    I always bring a "fanatic bucket" with my O+G, it just unsettles my opponents enough that they don't close my units down as quickly as they should- it once even worked when I had no NGs on the table, my opponent was so paranoid about the fanatic threat that it took someone in t3 to point out the lack of carrying units to him- he was a little bit embarassed after that!
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast