Tips for fair and friendly terrain placement? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for fair and friendly terrain placement?

Hello again,

I am looking to hear how you and your group do a fair and fun terrain/scenery placement in a friendly pitched battle, so you don't always end up with standard hill per side vanilla set-up.

Right now, we have been using the following house rules:
    • D6 to see who places a piece of terrain 1st, and alternate placement from there
    • Place within the the normal rules placement as per the rulebook
    • Large pieces of scenery/terrain are placed solo, smaller pieces, like fences & rivers tiles, are placed in groups of a up to a D6 (not all need be placed) that should be close or connecting.
    • For each piece of terrain/scenery, upon placement, roll a D3 to see how many times it scatters. For each timer, roll a scatter die, moving the terrain piece in the indicated direction D6 inches. (For hit, use the tiny little arrow for direction, for misfire, do not move at all). This gives a maximum movement of 18" in series of random directions.
    • Terrain/scenery cannot scatter off the table (stops at the edge) and cannot end on another piece of terrain/scenery on which it does not fit (like a house on a forest), but use your own best judgment here.
    • Players alternate placing until one player declares he feels there is enough and wants to stop, and the other player can agree and end it, or place one additional piece before the placement of terrain/scenery is done.
    So far we have had fair results, far less debate, and sometimes very terrain/scenery results that made for very interesting battles.

How do you and your friends usually do it (beyond standard rules)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

most of the time we get to the vault with terrain together and think of a sort of theme.

like a road through a forest, or a small village on a plain, or a river with XX bridges.

after that we set the terrain up together according to the theme. afther this we roll a die to choose table sides, so you will have to make a fairly equal setup.

so most of the times our setup will be with a good discussion, but always with a nice natural feel to it.

i really like your way though, i'll think i'll introduce that sometimes
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually go like GW suggests (althoug it's still a rule).

D6 to see who places the first piece of terrain, then take turns.

Stop placing terrain when one players thinks it's enough.
    "How do you stop a Chaos Knight from charging? No seriously, HELP!" André le Bouffon, jester of the Bretonnian court - last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

That is quite the complex terrain set-up process you have there. If it works for you then by all means continue, it sounds good to me. We usually just alternate placing 2 or 3 terrain pieces each until it looks right. If we use the GW battleboard then we usually just place a couple forests/buildings/hedges as there is already enough hills on the board. Sometimes we scatter the terrain sometimes not. It usually works out a hill and a forest on each side. The player that wants the hill will place 2 of them, one on each side, to make sure he can get one. I am not a huge fan of the symmetrical board but if it works out that way then so be it. We are fairly low-key as far as terrain set-up goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Ofter we will use the scatters 1-2 d6 inches and if you hit a misfire, the terrain is removed. Makes for some interesting bottlenecks.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

We scatter our terrain 2d6" just as if it's an ordinance barrage, then role for random facing (unless it's got an obvious facing, like a window facing over a cliff edge)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

At my GW were we normally play, we just role for D3+1 pieces on a 4x4 table, and D3+2 on a 6x4 table, and then we role off to see who sets there first piece, then you alterante placing from there. This way if you role an odd number it doesn't really matter, since no one knows what side of the table there going be playing on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

The best way I have found is ONE player sets up terrain, and the other player picks the board edge to fight from. General rules are no more than 1 or 2 pieces of terrain at the board edges, and a few pieces in the "no man's land" to ensure that the battlefield is not completely unbroken...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    The best way I have found is ONE player sets up terrain, and the other player picks the board edge to fight from. General rules are no more than 1 or 2 pieces of terrain at the board edges, and a few pieces in the "no man's land" to ensure that the battlefield is not completely unbroken...
    Having one side place all terrain will only work if both players armies are identical.

What if the person deploying terrain has a gunline? They would deploy a hill in either deployment zone and then block movement to it with a couple of difficult terrain but non LoS blocking swamps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    Having one side place all terrain will only work if both players armies are identical.

What if the person deploying terrain has a gunline? They would deploy a hill in either deployment zone and then block movement to it with a couple of difficult terrain but non LoS blocking swamps.

I agree. A battle without hills for gunlines really changes the dynamic of a battle. Take someone who is fully reliant with ranged units and war machines on hills and put them all on flat ground and they will take MUCH longer to think out their deployment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast