Line of sight confusion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Line of sight confusion

in the rulebook it says line of sight is just as it is. line of sight from the model. the book does not specificaly state what large targets have line of sight over though.

Im wondering what happens if a forest is taller than a large target model..can the large target still see over it? and a blood thirster is taller than a stegadons line of sight...but do they both have the same line of sight?

Im wondering what exactly large targets can see and if their is a medium on what all large targets can see over

For example: a stegadon has wants to see over a forest- the stegadon cannot see over the forest but can he since hes a large target.

For example: giant can see over a hill, but there is a hill beside it that we modeled bigger than other hil that he cannot see over. is the bigger hill considered the same height or can the giant only see over one hill

IM WONDERING ALL THIS BECAUSE DIFFERENT LARGE TARGETS HAVE DIFFERENT HEIGHTS WITH DIFFERENT PLACEMENTS OF EYES SO IS THEIR A MEDIUM FOR ALL LARGE TARGETS OR IS LINE OF SIGHT ACTUALY FROM THE SPOT WHERE THE MODELS EYES ARE. AND IF LINE OF SIGHT IS FROM WHERE THE EYES ARE THEN IS IT LEGAL TO CONVERT A MODEL TO GIVE HIM BETTER LINE OF SIGHT?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

The rulebook is very vague on LOS. I will give you what the conventions are in the tournaments and leagues that I have played in.

1) Forests and buildings block line of sight for all models.
    2) Large targets cannot see over other large targets.
    3) Hills with one layer block line of sight for any unit strength one models on foot.
    4) Multilple layer hills block line of sight for all but large targets.

Where the eyes are and what size the model is doesn't make a difference to line of sight. That would just encourage unscrupulous individuals to create some strange monstrosities.

Hope that helps,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Everyone I know, including several GT players, consider buildings, trees, and hills infinitely high. Large targets can't see over any terrain that's elevated: trees, buildings, hills. And large targets can't see over other large targets, unless the one doing the looking is on a hill or some such.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Ive always played that large targets can see over one layer hills and forests and building. Ive played anything smaller than a large target cannot see over any of those. i also play that a large target has the same view as a two layer hill and a forest is as high as a hill. i play that all large targets have the same view.....but the rule book goes over nothing for line of sight its bullshiiz

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

The rulebook says LOS over/past terrain is what it is, get down and look behind the model's eyes. If he's taller than the hill, taller than the highest tree in the forest, he can see over. In the case of LOS over/past other models it is a bit more abstract, but is spelled out fairly clearly.

That said, I would also agree that in practical application, every game I have ever seen played simply treats forests, buildings, etc as infinitely high.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

So should we all agree that any elevated postion is infinatly high? that sounds like a good idea because all large target models are made differently and to prevent people from converting evils with extreemly high line of sight then a standard should be set for all terrain vs laarge target and the all elevated postions seems to be the correct awnser to all my questions.

thank you

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slann-o-engine-eo View Post
    IM WONDERING ALL THIS BECAUSE DIFFERENT LARGE TARGETS HAVE DIFFERENT HEIGHTS WITH DIFFERENT PLACEMENTS OF EYES SO IS THEIR A MEDIUM FOR ALL LARGE TARGETS OR IS LINE OF SIGHT ACTUALY FROM THE SPOT WHERE THE MODELS EYES ARE. AND IF LINE OF SIGHT IS FROM WHERE THE EYES ARE THEN IS IT LEGAL TO CONVERT A MODEL TO GIVE HIM BETTER LINE OF SIGHT?
    Don't post like this. You don't need to post in capital letters, we can read it much easier in standard paragraph text.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Alright, heres another question for everyone.

Does a large target on an elevated position have line of sight over other elevated postions? I understand that a large target on a hill can see over other hills that just makes sense but can he see over forests and buildings? and he probably cant see over a double stacked hill because one hill itself is already taller than a large target

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Those are good examples as to why lots of players stick to things being infinitely high.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Instead of using the opinions of players online, and then taking the answers we give back to your gaming group - I think you would be better served if you discussed what constitutes what before a game starts. If you can agree and use the same rules for different terrain pieces after a few games with your gaming group, eventually things will just stick and you'll know what counts as what for LOS purposes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast