Even more questions: Charging, Fleeing, and Pursuing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even more questions: Charging, Fleeing, and Pursuing

I played a game yesterday where some Orc Boys and a Troll both declared charges on my Dark Riders (in that order). The troll was facing their front and the orc boys were in their left flank. It was time to move chargers, and the boys moved first. They were able to reach my flank, so I fled as a charge reaction. I moved a whopping 14 inches away from the boys, but this brought up our rules problem. The troll still hadn't charged it's target, and they had now completely moved from where they were, not to mention they were outside it's LoS.

Being out of his LoS and having changed places, what happens now? Does the troll charge the unit still, or does it charge 12'' forward towards where they would have been? If they were inside his charge arc would this be any different?

The Dark Riders also charged into Impassible Terrain, we made an on the spot ruling that they were stopped at the edge of the terrain, but would should have happened?

Also a small question, when a unit is beaten in combat by a unit in its front and a unit in its flank, I know it flees from the higher unit strength, but what do the victorious units do? The one that the loser fled directly from obviously pursues it, but what does the other do? Does it make a pursuit move straight forward, or does it also move after the fleeing unit?

And what happens if there is a unit in the front and rear? Is the fleeing unit immediately destroyed? Do both pursuers go in opposite directions or do they both follow the fleeing unit/where it would have gone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DarKnife View Post
    I played a game yesterday where some Orc Boys and a Troll both declared charges on my Dark Riders (in that order). The troll was facing their front and the orc boys were in their left flank. It was time to move chargers, and the boys moved first. They were able to reach my flank, so I fled as a charge reaction. I moved a whopping 14 inches away from the boys, but this brought up our rules problem. The troll still hadn't charged it's target, and they had now completely moved from where they were, not to mention they were outside it's LoS.

Being out of his LoS and having changed places, what happens now? Does the troll charge the unit still, or does it charge 12'' forward towards where they would have been? If they were inside his charge arc would this be any different?
    This was a discussion quiet awhile ago. The consensus is that the troll will turn towards where the dark riders end there flee and charge as normal. If he can reach, the dark riders are destroyed. If not, it is a failed charge. One other point, you declare your charge reaction before you determine if the chargers are in range, not after determining if they are in range. You also have to make the psychology checks against the troll.

The Dark Riders also charged into Impassible Terrain, we made an on the spot ruling that they were stopped at the edge of the terrain, but would should have happened?
    If you mean they fled into impassable terrain then they are destroyed.

Also a small question, when a unit is beaten in combat by a unit in its front and a unit in its flank, I know it flees from the higher unit strength, but what do the victorious units do? The one that the loser fled directly from obviously pursues it unless it restrains pursuit if it can, but what does the other do? Does it make a pursuit move straight forward, or does it also move after the fleeing unit? Moves after the fleeing unit, though it again can attempt to restrain unless it has a rule (frenzy for example) that won't let it restrain.

And what happens if there is a unit in the front and rear? Is the fleeing unit immediately destroyed? No.Do both pursuers go in opposite directions or do they both follow the fleeing unit/where it would have gone?Both follow the fleeing unit, it gets a free pass by the unit in its rear.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if I held for the boys and fled from the troll, and the boys are able to enter combat. Is my flee reaction for the troll discounted? Or would I move the fleeing dark riders before chargers are moved?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

You only get one charge reaction. So the troll and orcs are declared as chargers. Then you declare your reaction. If you choose hold, or stand and shoot, then you check to see if the troll is in charge range. If it is, you would have to make a psychology check to be able to stay, if you failed your reaction would change to flee.

You always move the fleeing unit before chargers are moved.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

When charged by the troll you would take your fear test, if you fail and you outnumber the troll then you hit the troll on sixes, but if the troll unit has a higher unit strength than the dark rider, then the dark riders will auto flee. So you may not auto flee as Sirkently suggested.

+ Reply to Thread