The Unbeatable Question! (1" rule) - Need Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Unbeatable Question! (1" rule) - Need Help!

I've actually had this very rare situation in a game (we solved it with some rule bending), but I was wondering if one of you can solve this VERY, very difficult problem. If so, I will give you my unending gratitude and you will have the right to call yourself the Protector of The Big Red Book of Doom!

Well to go to the problem. There are two units (of the same army) next to each other with a two inch (something like that) space inbetween, one is in combat. Next to the gap stands a single character, who gets charged by a unit of skirmishers (from the same direction). The character chooses flee as a charge reaction, and manages to flee succesfully, exactly between the gap. So then you are in this situation:

I actually made a mistake in the picture, because the skirmishers were standing in a perfect row next to the single character.

The skirmishers have a failed charged, and come stuck between the two units, like this:

This wouldn't be a problem but for a few things:

1.)The unit stands in 1" of the enemy, so or they are in combat or they aren't allowed to stand there at all. They need to move their normal movement (for failed charge reaction), so they need to come in combat.

2.) The unit hasn't enough man to form up wide enough to come in combat with both units at the same time without exceed their movement value, but there base is to big to get out the 1" of the other unit.

3.) Who decides to which enemy unit the skirmishers line up? (They were standing allmost perfectly in the middle.)

4.) If the skirmishing unit decides to line up against the un-engaged unit, does the entire other combat needs to move?

5.) If the skirmishers would line up to 1 of the two units the other unit (non skirmisher) would need to come in base contact to the skirmishers (because of the 1" rule). But they are standing with they're back to the unit. Does the non-skirmishing unit need to turn, or do a backward charge.

6.)If they do a backward charge you've got two units fighting rear to rear. Do they both get rank bonus/bonus for a rear charge?

7.) And if the skirmishing unit is in combat with both units, does it get a strength bonus for charging against both? (The skirmishers were wardancers)

I know its a difficult problem (and very unlikely to happen a second time), and if I've been vague in any part of this post dont hesitate to ask. Now, go work for the awesome title of Protecter of The Big Red Book of Doom! (Oh yeah, if you hadn't figured out yet, my unending gratitude is rep!)

Dont anger the dragon, he'll let it rain on you all day long. :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Well you would start by seeing how far you lone character flees, if he flees far enough it's a failed charge, now you have the option to redirect into a new unit which is directly forward of your unit(in case of skirmisher in the direction they were charging). So your skirmisher unit could have redirected into the front of the unit engaged in combat, or into the flank of the other unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you would start by seeing how far you lone character flees, if he flees far enough it's a failed charge, now you have the option to redirect into a new unit which is directly forward of your unit(in case of skirmisher in the direction they were charging). So your skirmisher unit could have redirected into the front of the unit engaged in combat, or into the flank of the other unit.
    It says that he flees out of charge range, so the skirmishers have a failed charge so need to move the half of their movement in a straight line. After that movement (which was mandatory) the unit came within 1" of two enemy units, and then you need to start to redirect.

For some more information how the skirmishers came in a perfect line: They just had pursuid an enemy, so they still stood in the line-up formation of the previous combat, so thats why thy fitted perfectly between the two units.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Normally, bustacaps would be correct, except you state that the wardancers were all in a line and wouldn't have hit the other units with there normal move, so they couldn't redirect into them. So you fall back to the 1" rule. Your troops will stop 1 " away from the stationary enemy units. Move them forward until they are 1" away from somebody.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

sirkently is right. Stop 1" away, even if that means not filing between the two units. He's also right that you can't EITW if you were in a straight line with the fleeing model.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't the 1" rule state that you are allowed to MOVE 1" within an enemy unit, only not end in it? And because you can get into combat with a pursue move, you don't stop within 1" of an enemy, but come into combat withit.

So I thought it worked this way: You move the unit 5" (inbetween the units). This is allowed because you may MOVE within 1" of an unit. However, after this you END UP between the two within 1". This is not allowed, and then you're back to the problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaza View Post
    So I thought it worked this way: You move the unit 5" (inbetween the units). This is allowed because you may MOVE within 1" of an unit. However, after this you END UP between the two within 1". This is not allowed, and then you're back to the problem.
    The rules say a unit always stop 1" away - so you couldn't move within it at any point.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

You can move within 1" of a unit you are not charging only while charging another unit, never at any other time. As in your example, your movement isn't a charge, but a failed charge, you still can't come within an 1" of any other unit. Therefore you stop 1" away.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can move within 1" of a unit you are not charging only while charging another unit, never at any other time. As in your example, your movement isn't a charge, but a failed charge, you still can't come within an 1" of any other unit. Therefore you stop 1" away.
    You can come inta combat with a unit after a pursuit and overrun. I am not sure if the pursuit of a failed charge works in the same way as a pursuit after a combat. If this isn't the case, the question wouldn't be that hard indeed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

In the pursuit and overrun situation, you are considered to have charged, so the rules for charging apply. As this isn't a successful charge, follow the normal rules.

SirKently

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast