Casting into Combat (again) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Casting into Combat (again)

The rulebook makes clear that a spell description must explicitly state that a spell can be cast into combat. But then you have oddball spells with language that, in my opinion, opens itself up to abuse. Take the first spell in the Lore of Metal list. It states that it can be cast with no targeting restrictions. But it doesn't have a phrase such as Rot, Glorious Rot does, using the words like "even if engaged in close combat."

Do you think this Lore of Metal spell can be cast into combat? I say no, that it doesn't have the language that spells like Rot, Glorious Rot do.

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

This is the one in the second FAQ that I confused with your other spell. This one can be cast into combat as per the second FAQ, page 7.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take the description as literal, meaning that absolutely no restrictions apply save for that the wizard can see the model. So he can quite literally target any unit he can see. He can cast it at a model in combat, a rider on a monstrous mount or a model in a unit. It's not a magic missile and will not be randomized. Any model he can pick out is targetted and affected.
    Tomb Scorpion Kill Counter: Gotrek Gurnisson, Empire Cannon Crew=3, Blood Knights=2, Saurus Cavalry=5, Saurus Warriors=3, Razordons=3, Skink warriors=7, Jezzails=8, Poison Wind Globadiers=10, Warp Lightning Cannon=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as the FAq says, it may be cast on a model in combat, but wouldnt this only allow models to the combats sides to be targeted, as the rest would effectively be out of line of sight due to the other models in that rank?? (just to clarify for myself =]] )

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Yes, you would still need line of sight. So if the model was in the centre of the combat line, you wouldn't be able to see it.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread