Another Greatweapon + Shield question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Greatweapon + Shield question

I searched around on this site and found out that you can't use a two-handed weapon and weild a shield at the same time. However, after looking at some armylists, I still see people giving characters and units both a greatweapon and a shield even though they can't benefit from them at the same time. My question is that if the unit is not in close combat, do they benefit from the shield's armour save? I'm presuming that they will be holding the shields when moving, but the shields will be slung over their backs when in close combat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by scorlibrian View Post
    I searched around on this site and found out that you can't use a two-handed weapon and weild a shield at the same time. However, after looking at some armylists, I still see people giving characters and units both a greatweapon and a shield even though they can't benefit from them at the same time. My question is that if the unit is not in close combat, do they benefit from the shield's armour save? I'm presuming that they will be holding the shields when moving, but the shields will be slung over their backs when in close combat.
    Most character have a Close combat weapon (CCW) by default, giving them the choice to use either the CCW and shield, or great weapon. However, if you say: this turn he'll use the greatweapon, than he has to use the greatweapon for everything that turn, no swapping it round.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, most characters can choose between greatweapon OR hand-weapon + shield. This choice is made at the beginning of the friendly turn and lasts until the beginning of the next (friendly turn or enemy turn?).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Not quite correct. If you choose to use a hw/shield combo in the first turn, then you must continue to use that for the duration of the fight. So if the combat lasts 3 rounds, you are using hw/shield for all three rounds. If you break them and overrun into another unit, you can choose again.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Not quite correct. If you choose to use a hw/shield combo in the first turn, then you must continue to use that for the duration of the fight.
    Sirkently is right, i was wrong, it is indeed so.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread