Noob question about hand weapon, shield and spear - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Noob question about hand weapon, shield and spear

Hi, I'm new to Fantasy and decided on the High Elves as my army. Now their Lorthern Sea Guards are equipped with hand weapons, bows, spears and shields (as an option). The rulebook says that if they have a hand weapon and shield, they get a +1 bonus to their saves. However, if I use my spear in cc (since I can attack with 3 ranks if the opponent charges me), do I also get the +1 parry bonus for having the hand weapon and shield? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can actually answer this one. You only get the +1 "Parry" bonus when actively using the Hand Weapon and Shield. If you use Spear and Shield, you would only receive the +1 for using a shield.
    The sands of time consume all in the end. Beware, for we, the Kings of Nehekhara, are those sands made flesh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Correct, keep in mind that you then sacrifice the "Attack in three ranks" rule and make your unit a bit more defensive.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Like the others have said, you can only get the bonuses from the equipment that your troops are actually using. So in the case of your high elf spearmen, you can choose to use the spears in which case they will have a bucketload of attacks, or if you want to be more defensive you can use the hand weapons to get the parry bonus.

A lot of units in the game have to make choices like this at the start of each combat, because all models are assumed to come with a hand weapon. Sometimes the choice can have a bigger effect on the armour save than in your spearmen example. Some troops might have a great weapon and a shield. They can use the shield against ranged attacks but when they get into combat they need to choose between +2 S from the GW, or +2 Armour from the hand weapon and shield.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Thanks guys.

Another couple of questions. Suppose I have a character with a shield and I also get him a magical sword (let's say a sword of biting for +1A). Now do I get a bonus +1 save for shield and hand weapon? In the rulebook, it says that a hand weapon can be a sword, axe, mace, etc. but it doesn't say anything about whether it has to be non-magical or not.

Also, some of my special units can take up to 25pts of magical items. My High Elf White Lions carry greatswords. If I was to buy a sword of biting for the WL champion, would it then become a greatsword of biting, or do I lose the bonuses and use of my greatsword if I use my magical sword?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless a magic weapon says in its description that it counts as a hand weapon you do not get the parry bonus for shield and hand weapon. If you take a magic weapon with your white lion champion you lose the use of your great weapon. You cannot use it at all until the magic weapon is destroyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Another couple of questions. Suppose I have a character with a shield and I also get him a magical sword (let's say a sword of biting for +1A). Now do I get a bonus +1 save for shield and hand weapon? In the rulebook, it says that a hand weapon can be a sword, axe, mace, etc. but it doesn't say anything about whether it has to be non-magical or not.

Also, some of my special units can take up to 25pts of magical items. My High Elf White Lions carry greatswords. If I was to buy a sword of biting for the WL champion, would it then become a greatsword of biting, or do I lose the bonuses and use of my greatsword if I use my magical sword?
    For the first question, unless the magic weapon specifically says in its rules that it follows the rules for hand weapons as well as its magical benefits, then you don't get the parry bonus. Some magic weapons say in their rules that they count as a particular mundane weapon type as well as having their extra bonuses, for examle Porko's Pigstikka in the O&G book follows all the rules for mounted spears as well as its extra rules.

You can get a parry bonus with a regular hand weapon and a magical shield.

For the second question, the White Lion champ would then have his great axe and his magic weapon. They are two separate weapons, and he can't combine their benefits in any way since he will always be using one or the other. And, since the rules for magic weapons say that they must always be used ahead of mundane weapons, he would have to use his magic weapon at all times.
    Thou shalt remember:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

Magic wepons that dont descride themselves as GWm spears or th like they count as hand weponds, so tey can work in conjunction with a shield,
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Produced Music<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Donations Welcome$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

humm no they do not count as hand weapons. Magic weapons do not follow mundane weapon rules unless its stated in their description.
    If it doesn't say 'hand weapon' then it doesnt follow the hand weapon rules.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by p0lak View Post
    Magic wepons that dont descride themselves as GWm spears or th like they count as hand weponds, so tey can work in conjunction with a shield,
    No, they don't count as hand weapons. They are simply considered to be a one handed weapon. Because of this you can use them with a shield but do not get a parry bonus.

If for some reason their magic weapon status is negated (by spells or magic items) they are then considered to be hand weapons.
    Thou shalt remember:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast