soft cover + tight charge - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soft cover + tight charge

Hi all,

sorry if some of this has been answered before, we just had these 2 situations arising last night between me and my Woodelves friend, and we weren't sure how to resolve them.

1st:

My archers wanted to shoot his Wildriders who stood as shown:

My friend argued that his Wildriders get "soft cover" because more than half of his models are "behind" the woods. 3 of his WR's were touching the woods, but the majority of their bases were outside it. And those 3 didn't have LOS to the archers.

I said that for the unit to receive the bonus more than half the unit has to be "IN" the woods, or atleast the majority of those models' bases have to be in the woods, regardless of having the woods "between" them and the shooters. As the archers have clear LOS to one side of the WR unit.

Do you have to draw LOS to each WR model to determine soft cover? or is soft cover solely determined by how much of the model is inside the woods?

================

2nd question:

Orion was attached to 3x Wild Riders, and a line of Archers was about 1 inches in front of them like so:

So, I cast Beast Cowers on them, and on his turn he decides to charge with Orion by himself on the Archers.

If he detaches and hits the Archers, but we find that the back of his model is still not clear of the WR's.. (atleast 0.5" over them).. does this make the charge fail because of no room?

Thanks alot and please pardon the repetition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

As for question 1, you must be inside the woods to benift from its cover, not just behind it.

From page 27 about cover "Troops who are behind certain terrain features such as hedges or walls, or inside a wood, can take advantage of cover...A unit is considered to be in cover if atleast half of its models are in cover"

-------

For question 2, When Orion leaves the unit, the wild rider on his left would shift over to fill the gap, and this should leave plenty of room for orion to charge in on the left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tbeckett View Post
    For question 2, When Orion leaves the unit, the wild rider on his left would shift over to fill the gap, and this should leave plenty of room for orion to charge in on the left
    Yeah well the picture might not have been exactly accurate to what happened..

but what if the parent unit was bigger and there wasn't enough room? would the charge be viable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I think this falls into one of those situations that doesn't fall under any rule in the book except The Most Important Rule (see page 3 of the rulebook).

My personal interpretation of this situation would be Orion charges foward, and the riders get pushed back slightly giving Orion the space needed to move forward. It is a very awkward situation, and I know the beast cowers spell prevents them from moving moving except to flee, but from a realistic point of view, what would happen if it was real life, would be orion charges in and the unit stays exactly where it is and now has a big hole in the middle. Only problem is warhammer rules don't support big holes in the middle of units. I don't think Orion would stop his charge because the cowardly horses behind him cannot form a nice neat line.

That is my reasoning and what I would tell my oponent during a game if this situation arised. If they agreed, great, if not, I would hear their side of how they think it would work and see if that way made more sense, or if we could come to a comprimise somewhere in the middle. If we could not, then I would go back to the most important rule and dice off, and then after the game I would look through the book and FAQs for this situations and probably turn to posting something on this site to get some more minds looking over to come up with the best resolution.

+ Reply to Thread