Fight in Ranks question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

1 (x1)

Fight in Ranks question

Hello everyone, obviously I am new to this place and fairly new to the Warhammer game (used to play 40K) and have a question about the fight in ranks rule. It states that units with these weapons can fight in 2 or more ranks to their front if it is behind a model engaged in close combat. It can't use it on the turn it charges or if it moved. It does not state that it overrides the rule that models stepping forward to replace casualities can attack back. So my friend plays Lizardmen he has a unit of Warriors with spears that are 5 wide. I charge and kill off 4 does that mean only 2 models get to attack back. At first we played that the entire second rank and the one survivor gets to attack back, now after he read through the rule book says that he should only get 2 models worth of attack (3 counting a champ). Also since the 2nd rank has to move up to the first rank it would be moving and again negate the fight in rank bonus. Is there an answer to this somewhere official in an FAQ I have missed or is this something I will have to clarify when I go to a tournament? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Iver Heath
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

The model in front, killed or not, is engaged i nclose combat that turn. The second rank can attack back in full. Consider the step forward to happen when ranks are redressed at the end of the combat. Its all pretty abstract, and hence shouldn't be taken literally.

Also note that the model behind can attack only the same models as the model directly in front, important if you are fighting e/g a champion or character.

+ Reply to Thread