Librarium Online Forums banner

One Use Only Magic Items

754 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rork 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am having trouble finding an exact ruling on how magic items work with "one use only" in the 8th edition rulebook.

Normally, a magic item has a single ability paired with this rule, and logic would state that after you use that ability, the magic item is not destroyed, but cannot be used any more.

There is now a magic item (Charmed Shield) in the rulebook item list that can be used by any army. This shield also says "one use only." This could be taken a number of ways.

Shield can be used once before becoming uesless.
Shield abilty can be used once, and then the shield becomes useless.
Shield abilty can be used once, shield still confers armor save for rest of game.

The only ruling direction I can find would be the lack of a rule alltogether, being that it does not state anywhere that a magic item is destroyed after it is used once. Most magic items are just treated this way, because they usually don't have anything else they can do. This leads me to believe that it would still confer an armor save after the ability was used once.

If anyone can clarify, either having used this item in a tournament, or knows the location of a offical faq, or found a rule I couldn't in the massive weapon with paper pages that is the rulebook.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
The "one use only" part refers to the ability. The first word in the description is "shield." This means it functions as a normal shield with an added benefit, being the one use only part that lets you ignore the first hit.

Additionally, at the top of the page it points out that magic armour is treated like ordinary armour, but has added benefits. So again, when the shields benefit is used up, it functions as a normal shield.

Hope that clears it up,
SirKently

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replys. That's how I figured it worked, just wanted to be clear for my opponent's sake.

It also makes the Charmed Shield magic item a great buy for it's points. As long as you have the magic item space, it is cheaper than most lord character's regular shield that I can find. Does the same thing + the added ability.

#6 ·
It also makes the Charmed Shield magic item a great buy for it's points. As long as you have the magic item space, it is cheaper than most lord character's regular shield that I can find. Does the same thing + the added ability.
The downside is that it's your only piece of magic armour for that character. For a fighting character there are plenty of other items I'd prefer to have instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.