Using Enchanted Items for Non-Dispell Attempts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Enchanted Items for Non-Dispell Attempts

An enemy wizard casts a spell, in the process he gets irresistable force. I know that I cannot dispell that spell, but can I still use one of the enchanted items that says instead of dispelling.

Is this the case, or do you have to be able to dispell to use a (instead of dispelling) ability.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Not sure really, what item are you talking about?

My first impression is that No, you cannot.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

You can't do anything to stop the spell; no alternate "dispel scrolls" like the Tomb Kings' Brooch of the Great Desert can be used, but you could use other stuff like the frog scroll (if that's what you're asking, I'm not sure) that does not try to stop the spell.
    ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I mis-typed that. I meant to say arcane items, like the feedback scroll and such. Do you need to be able to dispell the spell to be able to use something that says instead of dispelling. In other words, must you meet the pre-req of being able to dispell before you choose not to dispell and instead use the feedback scroll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Newp. Feedback scroll is usable. Hex scroll is usable. You just cannot stop the spell from going off. That is the only stipulation of IF unless they issue an errata on it (and the BRB faq/errata when it gets here is probably gonna be huge). You gotta say you're using them before you see his Miscast result though if I read the order right.
    ^_^

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I disagree with this. It says you can use it "instead of attempting to dispel the spell." Since you can't attempt to dispel the spell, you can't substitute any of the special scrolls.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Here's the theory:

Some people say
    "Johnny goes to the shop without money(scrolls). Once there, he cannot buy (dispel) the book, so he will steal (hex) it instead."

The rules however say, theres no time for Johnny to go to the shop in the first place! (the dispel phase is skipped alltogether)

The moment where you 'hex' instead of 'dispel' is skipped and no hexing scrollls can be used
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Dispel Scroll specifically states that you cannot attempt to use it against IF. This is redundant since it also says that in the IF section up at the front of the book.

The other scrolls make no such stipulations (in either section). Considering the redundancy they printed in the Dispel Scroll, if there were any stipulations on these others they would have printed them either in the individual item descriptions or as a cover-all for scrolls up at the top of the Arcane section.

(Well hopefully they would have anyway.)
    ^_^

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Why would the scrolls have to say they cannot be used at moments that you're not allowed to use a dispelscroll? The phrase 'instead of attempting a dispel' makes such additions irrelevant as it allready answers that very question.

with IF, Step 3 is skipped. Thats the only moment such a scroll could've been used.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Why does the dispel scroll need to say it?

Irrelevant anyway as the BRB FAQ is out.

You cannot use these items vs IF.
    ^_^

+ Reply to Thread